• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing on url

LABS4ME

Major - it wouldn't matter to me if I had a few beers, a few Diet Cokes, or a thermos of coffee. The experience is still equal regardless.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• jigglestick

• PUTZ

• NINETOE

once again ill say its called fishing not catching fish. with no effort would it be as much fun to see who the better fisher people are? it would be kinda hard when any idiot could pop holes and catch fish right? also then we wouldnt need a website like this :-(. what a horible world it would be.

once again ill say its called fishing not catching fish. with no effort would it be as much fun to see who the better fisher people are? it would be kinda hard when any idiot could pop holes and catch fish right? also then we wouldnt need a website like this :-(. what a horible world it would be.

FIFTY BUCKS!!....FIFTY BUCKS!!.... i'm insulted! it would take at least a hundred to get me to fabricate my report, or sugar coat it to someone's liking. smile.gif it's people like ionlycatchthebigonesoratleastthatswhatitelleverybody, that other people avoid,because they are egomaniacs,braggers, and just plain no fun to be around.i'll take putz and the gambler. they may not be pretty, but they have the right attitude.
i told it like i see it.like i saw it, and maybe(hopefully) how i will see it again.
we have expierienced the hot bite, and the not so hot bite. i'll take it either way.
this was my happy warm fuzzy post, til someone crapped on it. but it is nice to know by all the other posts that he is way in the minority.
major. a little A.A. thing i sense here? this is america. that is still the nice thing about it.
once again, good fishing to all.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!---jigglestick---

I just got back to day from url.Out o 8 guys we got 5 slabs in 2 full days on the lake.It sucked from the last time i went and got 150+ between 2 guys in 6 hr on the lake.Fishing was hard not even marking fish wher did they all go.I did get a 25 in eye frozen hands and beer.paps got a pike 35 in L by 34 in w.Over all if you want to party go on up.if you want slabs nows not the 6hr dive see you in march.

I love the remoteness of Upper Red. There is something about being out on large lakes Ice fishing that turns my crank. Sounds like a few of you pessimistic mofos should just stay home and watch tv..and get drunk. The rest of us can be found out on Red having a good time no matter what the Situation.

Thats my boy! **** proud of him too.
We love to hunt and fish and you can have A
drink while fishing,but when the hunting is
done then you can have A drink or TWO.
The only meetings we have to attend are
hunting or fishing cool.gif
PUTZ

------------------
just cross this line------

Like many of you fishing for me is a chance for me to get away. Sure going up to URL and catching a limit of crappies is my goal when I come up but realistically that doesn't happen everytime anyone that goes fishing on a regular basis should know that. Also, where else in the state of Minnesota can one get crappies like trhe ones found in URL?? I'd rather drive 4 hours knowing that if I get into the crappies on URL they WILL ALL be bigger fish than I will find elsewhere especially down here in the cities where the average crappie is 6 to 8 inches. Many people never catch one crappie in their lifetime the size of the bigger ones found in URL now. I came up to URL about a dozen times from the Twin Cities last winter and spring. I limied out maybe 3 or 4 times and got skunked a couple of times. I considered every trip a success except the one time in the spring I was fishing and a storm came up and I was in my boat by myself praying I wouldn't drown. Plus all of the people I've met have been so nice especially Kelly_P took me out on his 4 wheeler and put me on a limit of crappies last winter after the sheriff closed the lake to cars and Jerry from Roger's who helped me repair my boat trailer and I offered to pay him but he said it was not necessary. Like others have said on this forum fishing isn't all about how many fish one catches. Just my two cents worth.
crappieaddict Pete

i head up to red lake maybe once or twice a year. i have never caught a crappie yet in the 3 years I have been trying. if i ever go again i will go with someone that knows the lake a bit because to me it just isn't worth going unless i really know the lake. i love fishing, but if i am going to be spending a ton of money and driving up there i want to catch a few. it is just too hit and miss. al linder could head out in one spot and get skunked while a 5 year old could catch his limit. seems to me your just rolling the dice out there, and you either roll snake eyes or sevens. there isn't any structure out there to fish so personally i think it is a little boring. i am only saying this from my experiences, and no dont drink either so that takes the fun the rest of you are having. i have heard enough posts on captian and beer. keep up the good work at the resorts i do keep hearing they are great. ill probably wait out the dice rolling and maybe hit the walleye in 5 years once in a while.

><Pig)'>

This seems to be an interesting topic for everyone. I would like to start by thankink Kelly and Jiggle and the rest of you who keep all of us informed on what's going on up there. I check this site three times a day, after my first night on URL over a year ago. My thoughts are consumed during the winter time by what's happening up there, not how great the fishing is. We have been fortunate to experience some great fishing, but far more fortunate to have met those people who make it so accomadating to us non-locals. I'm guessing that most of us aren't trying to catch fish for survival, it's for fun! If you can't find something fun about being up there fishing, even on a bad day, then don't go up there. The crappies have been tougher this year, but your fishing URL experience shouldn't be based totally on that. Thanks agin to all of you that keep this thing running and I'm looking forward to meeting some more of the good people up there. Will be at W.W. Thursday to sign the board and maybe buy Kelly a Captain? Good luck too everyone going up and remember this about have fun and making memories.

One more thing. Fishing never sucks. Sometimes the fisherman sucks, sometimes the weather sucks, sometimes the fish themself suck cause they are not willing. but the experience itself - Fishing - never sucks. If it does to some, they should find something else to do.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Good posts...
Poutmaster- Could you elaborate a little on what you mean when you say that alcohol "supplements" the experience. Does this imply that you would have less fun without it? and if so, how much less fun?

I can't believe what I read sometimes. Fishing sucks? Can't be! Barring a disaster like having your boat sink or something, anytime spent fishing (or hunting) is one heck of a lot better than any time spent working.

I gotta believe that most people reading this forum are like me. Meaning, I've got a job, a wife, kids, and a house that needs maintaining, which means my time is a premium commodity. Any time I get to be outside chasing slabs, slimers, whitetails, or waterfowl is time in heaven. Bringing home something for the freezer (or returning it for the next guy to catch) is a bonus.

If you think fishing sucks because you aren't icing piles of huge lunkers, you've been watching too many fishing shows. Enjoy the time outdoors... have a beer if you want... take a kid with you and teach 'em how to have fun outside.

I'm gonna be up on URL hunting slabs on the 31st. Hope we connect with a few, but if we don't, I still be enjoying my choice to be out there fishin'!!

My 2 cents.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hey pig_sticka
Sorry about your extreme misfortunes on URL. I've had good success and bad, so I hear where you're coming from. I'm curious what you meant when you said you have heard enough posts about captain and beer.

Jigglestick and others thanks for the fishing reports! For you pessimists and fish catchers that have to catch a limit everytime out, theres an easy answer, stay away from Red Lake, the people that do go will be enjoying themselves. Major, I like your 'holier than thou attitude'. Maybe you've found your calling in life, you could stand by the ice roads on Red with a sign saying when the next AA meeting is. Surface Tension, I agree with you, just the anticipation of a trip to Red gets me going!! I'll be up on the 23rd/24th and I've already started making a pile of gear that I don't want to forget!! Where else do you have a chance to catch crappies like that!!! Major, I don't know if two cases a beer will be enough for two of us for two days, guess I better bring three. Or theres always Westwind in case we run low!! smile.gif

I went toURL about five times last year, and my first trip this year is this weekend. Do I expect to limit out on slabbers, no, I HOPE to catch a couple to eat, of course. Fifteen is just to many of those bad boys for me to eat by myself and I don't want my dog to get fat on crappies. If you can't stand the long drive and not catch fish, take up fantasy football. It IS all about the time on the water, frozen or otherwise. In the years btx the end of the crappie boom,if there is one, and the begining of the walleye fishing, we will doing the remember when thing. I will NEVER forget the one time I did limit out on URL, keeps me coming back. As for paying folks to elaborate their success, if they payed all the people on this site that said they limited every time out, my guess is that at 50$ a pop they would have spent about 400$. As long as I catch one more fish, whatever it may be, than my brother, then it was an excellent journey.

Fish On Dudes/Dudettes

jigglestick,
A lot of people are going to want their money back. You're gonna have to get a job. grin.gif
Major,
It looks like you are on a mission but then I guess that we all are in one way or another. It raises a red flag to me when I look at your profile and see nothing. It makes me wonder if you are not the type of person that wants to stay hidden and throw rocks at people that do not have the same views as you. We all have different views and goals in life, we all need to accept that we are all different.
My customers are on a vacation. It is their choice how they spend their time. I would say that less then 1/2 have alcohol along. About like the general population, some go to the opera and some to a bar. As for me I do not drink when I hunt or fish. I do not drink in my home or when I work. Major if you think those of us that work on the lake can do what we do and be drinking at the same time you obviously do not have a clue as what it is like out there.
It obvious that you Major have a burr under your saddle. I can do nothing about that, it is your life and we are all in charge of our own lives.
The saddest thing about this is that this topic started as a simple and honest post of how the fishing was for one person and his friends so that others that read this forum would have an idea of what was happening on the lake. I guess that we all need to realize that there are people in this world that are unhappy but rather then making their own world better they wish to try make others unhappy also.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Major,

what is your hang up with those of us that happen to enjoy a beer or cocktail while fishing? I personally don't NEED to have a drink, but I do enjoy having a coulpe of cold ones, and a fresh snuff while sitting in the ice shack and shooting the bull with my buddies. If you don't drink good for you, but for those of us that happening to enjoy one or ten, WHO CARES.

but enough of talking about stuff that this forum was not intended for. I get up to URL 3 or 4 times a year. We have never hammerd the fish, but that is my fault for just being one of the sheep and setting up next to ther heard, and not really looking for a good spot to fish. despite our lack of fish, we ahve never had a bad time. I was out on a local lake last night and only cought one fish(this after find a good spot, with many fish on the showing on the vex), but to me that is till better then sitting at home on the coach. Although it was Sunday and we could not stop and get any beer.

Was on URL over the weekend, with my brother. We ended the trip with nineteen between the two of us, all in the 12 to 14 inch range. Managed to land a nice pike on four pound line she went 12-15 pounds, had to get her back quick though due to the extreme cold. We also caught around thirty walleyes in 12-22 inch which even though they had had to go back they added some excitement when the crappies slowed down. All in all a good weekend of fishing, no limits but I have 10 crappies all over a pound and for me that is plenty of fish for the table. The lure we had the best luck with was the glow (RED) angeleye jr, and using the small shiner minnows that we got at Hudec's. The shiners seemed to outperform the standard crappies minnow for us anyways. Ice was around 18-20" when we left late Sunday.

Mid August, I took my brother and my sidters fiance to red for thier first trip, let me tell you they will never forget it. It was storming that day, we would get out on the lake and fish about 15 minuets and see a white wall of rain coming toward us and have to race back in. We would sit out the storm under the bridge crossing Tamrack river. Most of our fishing trip was spent under that bridge, but we ended up geting 8 slabs and a bunch of eyes. By the time we got back out on the lake we had about 2 hours of light left. We could not keep the eyes off our hooks. We had triples on at least a dozen times. We would drift across the mouth of the Tamrack, with each pass catching a dozen or so eyes and 3 line snappers. On one of those passes by the mouth I snagged a log, having to turn the boat around to free the snagg. As we passed over the log, my brother hook into something big. First I have to fill you in on my brother condition, he is considered to be a parapalegic, with limited function in his legs and next to nothing with his hands. So try to imagine yourself trying to reel in a 41inch pike, That's right 41inches (22lbs). At first, the pike remained at the bottom, burning the drag on the reel. Finally it surfaced, when my brother first saw what he had caught, his jaw dropped and then he began to shake. I immediatley went for the net and attempted to net the pike, but only a third of it fit in the net. The net was a rubber shallow basket, perfect for eyes and slabs. After the pike slid from the net it caught its second wind. Finally, it surfaced agian and my brother-in-law and I, both leaned over the side of the boat. My brother-in-law grab the pike in the mid section and I grab both him and the pike and threw both of them into the boat. All three of us, could'nt believe our eyes, especially my brother. He couldn't stop shaking for the longest time. After everthing settled down, we had to toast the gods of red. I guess you can say that my brother is always looking forward to making a trip to red. I guess he will remember that trip for the rest of his life, especially when he wakes up every morning and is greated by his trophy on the wall!

I appreciate the reports- good, bad or ugly-because it helps me make an informed decision on making the trek from Rapids up to Red-Thank you Jigglestick and others for giving us your honest and accurate reports. Fishing is always a gamble as to weather the fish will bite, how many deer will run in front of your truck or how much wind will blow across the big lake when you finally set up-proceed with caution and go into everything with the right attutude and it will assure a good time-Upper Red Lake-love it or leave it-redhooks

Guess I gotta weigh in on this.

To: Ionlycatchthebigones,

Most of us have pasts that are littered with hunting and fishing companions who measured the success of the trip by how many were caught or shot. Although in many respects they were nice guys, they are no longer welcome. It doesn't matter if the quarry are biting, flying, or moving. It doesn't matter if it's nice/stormy, hot/cold, wet/dry, or any other combination. The guys I hang with go for the experience and the camaraderie. Catch the wave - there is much more to a successful trip than setting the hook or pulling the trigger.

To: Major,

I, like others, wonder at you agenda. But it doesn't matter. There are times when a few cocktails are appropriate and it is up to each individual to behave like a lady or gentleman and know their limit. I don't know how many times I've been on URL – many, many times! I don't remember ever seeing a bunch of falling down drunks but I certainly remember the people, the friends, and the experiences. Drink or not - It's your choice. Just don't try to impose your choice on others – Nobody likes a door to door preacher.

To: The rest of you,

I hope to see you on the ice or at WW this coming weekend. PS It would be nice if the fish were biting! But it wouldn't be necessary. I'll have my beer anyway. smile.gif

It sounds like to me some people need to grow up!! I've fished Red at least six or seven times this year and done well on the crappies a few times, good on the northern every time, and great on the walleyes every time "looking forward to the day we can keep them". Those of us that live up here and do all the work of finding the fish and the presentation that they want are the ones that truly know what fishing is all about. If you are looking for a fool proof fishing report thats gonna tell you where to drill your hole I've got some news for you " You are a fool and they dont exist". My fifteen year old daughter knows the meaning of sportsmanship more than some of you so called fisherman. I use the forum for a rough idea of whats goin on and thats all it is is a rough report. The fishing can change on a hourly basis and if you dont know that you had better go back to chapter one of your how to fishing book. You could be fifty feet from me and not catch a thing while Im haulin them in and this is part of fishing. I cant imagine what it would be like to have to drive four,five,or six hours to get to good fishing and thats why I live where I live but to have the balls to get nasty because the forum isnt telling exactly what you want to hear I have some advise for you. Until you figure out how to go out on the ice and be happy with a few fish and not a limit you should, Stay in your house on your 100x150 lot in your housing development watch the outdoor channel on your big screen tv and go out in the back yard drill your hole in your swimming pool and dream of the day of your idea of a perfect word when every fishing trip results in limits of fish for everyone and stay there till this happens because the lake will be a much nicer place without you. To the rest of you that are real sportsman and love the challenge of fishing I'm proud to share the outdoors with you. We are truly blessed to live where we do and to have all of this around us. And to the out of town sportsman please come and enjoy it with us but please respect it as we do and it will be here for many generations to enjoy. Jigglestick keep up the good work!! Many times what you say decides if I go to Red or Lake of the woods or try both in the same run.

It's hard to believe that a post originally giving a report of a fun weekend can get turned into a pissing match like this!!
Jigglestick - like was said previousely, thanks for the great post ! Your posts are always entertaining grin.gif
I have to weigh in this one though......I live in the Cities and make the drive to URL every other weekend. In fact I drove 275 miles Saturday morning to fish for 7 hours and came back Sunday morning. I caught 7 crappies from Noon til 7PM and that was all I needed. I HAD FUN !! I have a blast every time I go to URL !! Or fishing anywhere else for that matter. I'll be back Friday morning again and really don't care if I catch 1 or 15 (at least one is always nice though...) The point is, the fishing is always good ! I don't need to catch a limit to enjoy myself and if you need to catch a limit to enjoy yourself, than stay home !!. Sometimes you have to do a little more work for them than other times, but like Kelly said earlier, it's immproved the overall attitude of the people that are on the lake and.....there's a LOT LESS trash on the lake this year !! in more ways than one.....
Twitter

My buddy and I went up on 1-11-03, I told everyone that I wasn't going to go to url untill feb. it's still too early for the drive up but............ We decided that a change of scenery from our regular house was needed. We ended up catching 6, smallest was 11 1/2 largest was just over 14. It was COLD, (heater didn't work right). Hard to see in the house, (borrowed my house out to someone else and used another friends). However we had a blast. I considered it a sucessfull trip when my buddy put the first one in the house! So the trip cost us $90.00.... big deal, I can spend that in a bar, casino, sporting goods store, ect... in a night as well. Yes we had a few beers as well, along with a lot of laughs. Met the guy in the house next to us and joked around with him as well. If your worried about filling out then please don't come... leaves more room for the rest of us!

Scott

Hey guys its hard to wait for the weekend
as this morning I went out to the ice and
drilled A hole and up came (DIRT) DOOOHH
I was at the school skating rink blush.gif was
wondering why I didn't see any portables
Oh well I guess I will have to wait for
moron to come up so we can go up to RED grin.gif
PUTZ

------------------
just cross this line------

If I choose to drive seven hours and sit and not catch anything or have a few barley pops,thats my choice. I've fished long enough to know that there are no givens. Have you ever hear of the old saying, you should have been here yesterday? I love that,"Those of us that live up here and do all the work of finding the fish...truly know what fishing is all about!!" ****, I knew it, now I just have to talk my wife into moving there!!!

You have to be drunk to catch fish and if you are not catching any than you have not drank enough.

I will be on Red on Wed and LOTW on Thurs, I should be catching them if my theory works. If not it still will be a highlight of the winter. (Mostly because I will be drinking though, not because of where I am at and who I am with and what I have the chance to catch.)

heheheh WOW!!!!!go spend the weekened at the cabin and I missed this!!!!

Well I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents (huh, I think I just learnd there ain't a cent sign on this thing)

First and formost, Jiggle Stick Thanks for your report. Your writings are always insightful to the humman condition as well as the currrent fishing patterns. and basicly your a god **** hoot!

IOCTBO Firts off thanks..You realy churned up this thread. Giving me several chuckels this morning..But Geeezzze you sure seem to be missing somthing in life. I hope you can find it before it eats you up inside.

Major I'm guessing your someone that has just heard about the 12 steps for the first time and think it is somthing funny to joke about. or maybe you have had a alochol asessment that didn't go the way you wanted?

Bobber Stopper heck I don't have to drive for hours to have great fishing. Living in the Twin Cities there is loads of great fishing here! (tho the ice sucks this year)
I chose too!

Here is a twist for ya I was talking to a lady this weekend that is sick of living in the woods!! Tired of having to drive so far to shop and such...I think mainly missing her grandchildren. It kinda made me think a bit.

Can't wait til the next time I have to drive 5 or 6 hours for a few lousy crappies.
(walleyes, Pheasants, Perch, Grouse....good folks and good times!)

My fingers are tired I need a beer!

Slugo

I have never fished Red. I have read over the years so much about the crappie bite that I have dreamed of it. I know that I am to late to get that fishing that was had just a few years ago. The thing is is that just the oppertunity to catch a huge crappie is worth it. I am a pike guy but you can't pass up the chance! I am going to come up there this year! I hope to get a few of my buddies talked into it or I will again just be dreaming of it. The "chance" or "possibility" of getting into a huge pike or crappie make it worth it. Chances are better of catching a cold or a buzz before I get into numbers of crappies or a huge pike. But isn't that one reason we get out to fish and hunt? The meat is a bonus yes. The sharing of times with family and friends is priceless. I will fish Red this year, just once if I am lucky! But that is exactly what I feel, LUCKY! Lucky I can do these things from time to time and finally share the lake with people who know how to respect the quarry they are after and the creations of what god made. Just the thought of "buckets" of crappies discusts me! Freezing fish is a discrace. Having fish in the freezer and keeping more is down right dispicable! Think of what the fishing could be this year if the past few years people put back, instead of took? It should be a special occassion when you get the chance to eat wild game or fish you have caught. That animal gave it's life to you, respect the gift, for some day it may be gone. See you on the lake!!