Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodbuilder

How to keep holes from freezing

18 posts in this topic

Radar, I have seen your "balloons" at Reeds last winter. you might want to give them a call.

Do these really work? I would be interested and getting some for my permanent house. I heard that they were a pain to get down in the water.

Please keep me posted.

Woodman

Rodbuilder, thanks for the info. Reeds does carry "hole savers". I have them on order.

Woodman, they work great. Of course they want to float back out of the hole. I made a wood device to put over the "balloons" then budge strap them down to the floor of my shack. They have a loop in the bottom where you can tie your minnow bucket. Minnows stay fresh under the ice. I put a small rock in the minnow bucket to keep it down.

Kelly poops in his holes and that keeps em from freezing for weeks.

Dancing Bear , ask him how the fish fry grease down the hole works!! smile.gif

------------------
"sure are cocky for a starvin pilgrim"

I just can't believe what some people will post here smile.gif You guys kill me!

Ya I cant believe what I, oopps err what you guys post here.
Seems to happen every Fri afternoon.
I think I need a Triangular filter on my internet connection.
I heard you can take a stove pipe and cap one end. Stick it in the hole and let it freeze in. When you go to remove it, squrit some lighter fluid in the pipe and light it. Dont look to see if its working or you might end up with a Red lake facal and haircut. Either the pipe will pop out or you just made a skylight in your shack. I never was dumb enough to try this, maybe someone out there is. Let us know how it works out. smile.gif

No really I know guys that do this and swear by it.

Dancing Bear,
Remember,,,,you're supposed to take your medication EVERY day. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Vados Bait in Spring Lake Park had them a couple years ago as well. Maybe they stil do.

I have a permanent shack. I have been using, for lack of a better word, balloons to keep the holes from freezing. These balloons were bought several years ago from a local bait store in Grand Rapids. I need to replace a couple balloons but they don't seem to be available. Does any one know when I could find them? Or does anyone have a good way to keep holes from freezing when shack is unattended for a few days.

Dancing Bear--Read the labels.....alchohol seems to be concentrating the effect of your medications!!!! Next time drink milk with your meds and put beer on your Wheaties!

Radar- Thanks for the info. I may wonder down to Reeds or call and order some soon.

Put my house on Bemidji today, hopefully we will catch som walleyes in the morning.

Woodman

I've been using the hole savers for 5 or 6 years and they work great! In a perm. shack I shove the ballon down the hole ( not tough to do) and just put a stick across the hole under the floor of my house and then put the hole cover over it, stays down no problem and no hassle of bungies. Also the tall yellow plastic bait buckets hang under the hole savers nicely, so that shiners can be kept alive easily. The biggest problem with them is they do get punctured occasionally and I havent been able to patch them, and also when you take them out of the hole they take up a lot of room unless you let the air out of them and then you have to blow them back up again. Highly recomend them for perm houses. One last thought, after the ice gets about 2-2 1/2 feet thick they get to be a bit harder to use as they are only about 3 feet long. Have had the ice form beneath them a couple of times and been frozen in.

why are all you fools spending all your money on hole savers, when you can go to walmart and buy a gallon of atifreeze for 99 cents and pour it into your holes

jk

Hopefully that is a joke????? If it isn't please dump your anti-freeze in your radiator where it belongs not in a lake.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

First off don’t pollute the lake with antifreeze or any other pollutants! There is an easier way of not having your holes freeze which is fairly simple???? confused.gif

grin.gif KEEP ON FISHING! grin.gif

Merry Christmas smile.gif everybody & a Safe and Happy New Year

"FISH" grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

if your in a good spot your holes shouldn't freeze over!!!

Guys,

I don't know born2fish, but I believe he was just kidding (jk at the end). Just didn't want to see everybody get there panties in a bunch wink.gif

I hope those paper-mouths with shoulders start biting soon, I'll be up there Thursday night through Sunday. Hopefully there's an open stool at WW.

later,
kiel