• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

day care?

jigglestick

hey, i was thinking (oxy moron), if there was a day care in waskish, you might get a lot more of those mister mom seasonal worker types, alot more often. i see dollar signs here. we could use one or more of kelly's sleeper houses.we could have projects for the little fishers in training like how to sharpen an ice auger, or catch and release of alluminum pike for the old man. any other ideas? just starting the ball rolling. it's about time to get this url site running again!-----keep your stick on the ice!--jigglestick-----

Hey jigglestick, good topic to start a new thread with. You should have plenty of responses to it. I really enjoy reading the posts on the URL site. In fact I looked back into the archives for what I thought was the most hilarious thread to date. It was the one titled "Am I learning something or just crazy?", it's the one that talked about interpreting fish and depth on a flasher/locater and the various takes of the "cone". Cracks me up everytime I think about it. Maybe some day I can make it up that way to meet what appears to be a great group of people with some outstanding fishing!! Good Luck!

You could be onto something. Up in the bush, making a living isn't easy, and someone with daycare experience could open up a drop-off center for fishermen. Wouldn't just help the Mr. Moms, but if folks want to come to URL for some ice fishing and have kids young enough that they don't want them on the ice yet, that'd be a great thing to offer them. Probably have to staff it night hours, too, knowing the crappie bite. Could be attached to or run through one of the resorts for convenience. Even if the daycare's only a break-even proposition, you'd likely have more people buying bait, beer, ice road fees, etc. With a little marketing, it could be really good.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-23-2002).]

It's not so simple. There are matters of insurance, certification, equipment specifications (e.g. kid size pottys), health and safety inspection, etc.

There may be a need, but maybe not a provider.

By the sounds of this section, I'd suspect Kelly would be teaching the young ones to open glass bottles with their teeth smile.gif

Clayton:

Well, of course it's not that simple. Wasn't implying that it is. grin.gif But to set up a daycare anywhere in Minnesota you have to jump through those hoops. If people can do it in the Twin Cities, Bemidji, Duluth, etc., they can do it in Waskish.

If the need's there and someone qualified hears about the need and believes they can make a living at it, they'll come looking.

And as the URL area rebounds from the recent lean years and more and more people go there, some to live, there'll be more and more need for traditional daycare, let alone the ice kind. A few years ago you couldn't even get gas for your sled in the area, and now look at it start to boom.

And what a marketing technique for a resort: Bring your family and we'll watch the baby while you catch your limit!

HEY MAYBE WHILE THE LITTLE ONES ARE AT THE
KITTEN KARE THEY COULD BE TAUGHT HOW TO DRIVE, SO THAT THOSE OF US THAT WOULD LIKE TO VISIT WEST WINDS WOULD HAVE A WAY HOME!!

HEY JIGGLE THANKS FOR THE ENTERTAINING THOUGHT OF THE DAY!

HEY YOUR BOBBERS GONE!

A.GILL

A shower house would be a nice addition somewhere. I know I opened this up to all kinds of comedy but I would have paid dearly for one while I was up there. Can't be that many regulations for a few shower stalls. Oops, forgot URL is still in MN.

Bryce:

You think YOU would have paid dearly? What about all those guys down wind?

Where do you think the name CRAPPIE came from? (From the old English: To crap, to pee). grin.gif

Jigglestick.....Unless you've got more than 4 of the little darlings, do what I do, hang them on a coat rack in the corner of the fish house and throw them a piece of jerky every couple hours grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Is Kelly available? smile.gif

I would probably be a strong choice to work at the daycare, I have had lots of practice with Kelly for the last three years. If a guy can handle him he should be able to handle a bunch of screaming kids.

------------------
West Wind
Waskish, MN
218-647-8998

hehehehehehehe Good one W.W. smile.gif I can see the forum is off to a good start again this year. When I saw the topic "daycare" started by jigglestick I thought he was looking for something for himself. grin.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652