• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bears

mizpah

I am getting back up off the floor with tears in my eyes becuase I can't help thinking about ninetoes breaking the seal between the fish bucket and the plastic bag he was dumping it into! That was an instant back arch!

Keep them bears comin in. I have to talk my dad into making the drive up so the mosquitos can molest him again!

------------------
"Hey Nice Rack"
www.bucketrack.com

When I moved NINETOE's rotten fish away from the bait I puked so hard I gave myself a headache. I wish I could think of some way to put them in his yard but then one of us might fall in them late at night. ISH!!!
I almost went up to the Ridge where you had sat tonight. It just seemed due when I was there this morning and tonight was perfect for hunting.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

[This message has been edited by kelly-p (edited 09-09-2002).]

Woodman
I am south of Dark Lake. Have been hunting up here since 1981. My aunt had a place down the road from me and that is what got me coming up here. I spend most of the fall chasing one thing or another.

About time someone puked on this trip! Sorry it had to be you though brother. You are right about me not caring about shooting one also. If I got all worked up everytime I went out and didn't shoot something I'd probably be doing something else. That's why they call it HUNTING, if you need to tork the rifle off every time you go out go to one of those game farms that are spreading disease throughout the land and blast away at one of those CWD carriers. Have to get the house ready to sell this weekend and then found out yesterday that I am off to Charlotte NC Monday - Wednesday so this weekends out. BUT WE WILL DANCE THE WEEKEND OF THE 20TH SO EVERYBODY REST UP!

DANCING BEAR.

Dancing Bear????????? Is that what you called it when that doe snuck up on you and blew??? shocked.gif I've heard that type of movement called many things but Dancing Bear isn't any of them. I think the only reason SATCHMO likes ground blinds is for the entertainment value. smile.gif
"Some night when the moon is full he's gonna,,,,,,," grin.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

RIGHT-ON Kelly, there is nothin' quite like the mighty bear hunter trying shoot and run away at the same time!! HeHeHe Hey Dancing Bear, how was the raccoon feed on Sat. night? Did the Duresky boys serve it fried or baked? Hope noone got hurt with swingin' arm dance! grin.gif

Glad to see you got out of the doghouse Satch! We of course skipped dinner (again) every beer is a sandwich! Did stop out there at the Hilton and had a great time with those boys after the doe incident. I was pretty shaky cause when I was walking out of the woods I also stepped on a rather large snake. My Heinie finally unclenched today and I have hit the office john about 10 times, they are thinking about running a phone in there for me. Nice Job on that bear satch! THAT WAS AWSOME!

SATCHMO out of the doghouse???? Think again,,, he's at work. smile.gif You guys should be here as the change in the weather and all the people being out of the woods now seems to have changed things. Even one of the Red Eye baits has been hit and where you got yours SATCHMO is already rolling again with the back one hit the last 2 nights. Looks like you might have got the little brother. grin.gif
There is some dispointment around here that you cann't make it this weekend Dancing Bear. When I was at the Dallas bait I noticed that all the little birdies and chipmunks and rabbits had gathered around the blind waiting for the show. tongue.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

D-Bear, I'm not quite out of the dog house, but she is feeding me again, allbeit meager portions. Get your hinder back in that blind and do your job next time!!! That snake just wanted a little kiss.HeHeHe. Drag the SAINT with you too. Sorry I had to pull the pin early, as that would have been great fun at the Hilton listening to the latest round of BULL!!

I truly am bummed about not being able to come up, who knows if it gets messy at home the truck has everything needed still in it (scent washed of course, but it still has that odd odor that I picked up parking by the fish shack)That's a lot of driving and drinkin to pull off before a 6am flight though, even for a party god like me....
PS this chat room stuff is like the coolest thing I have ever seen, or maybe its just the humor of knowing two total clowns like you two guides.rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We finished this years bear hunt on Tuesday. We stuck at it and got our bears. This was a tough season with the strange bear patterns. Hopefully things will be better next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Job! Can't wait to hear the story behind that one. Whish they were still hitting?

------------------
"Hey Nice Rack"

www.bucketrack.com

A quick recap to a long story. After Zeb hit it it headed straight for a big and ugly cowhorn cedar/stunted balsam/tag alder swamp. The blood trail quit after 250 yards in an area where we could barely see 15 feet around us. We looked for 4 more hours that night and couldn't find another drop or smear of blood. The next morning we spent another 5 hours looking in the daylight and found nothing. frown.gif Zeb was so disgusted with himself for blowing the shot that they decided to cut their hunt short and pack up and go home. I decided to play a hunch and go look in an area about 400 yards from the last blood and at a right angle from the direction the blood trail had been going. After 2 hours I had found nothing in that area either and sat down to rest my legs before heading out to high ground. While sitting there thinking all the bad thoughts a person gets when you have lost an animal I noticed a big bed 10 feet away with a small smear of blood. I went back out and caught Zeb and Justin before they left to go home. We went back and and although there was not any blood trail we were able to follow by finding a bed now and then. We jumped it once and both Zeb and I missed snap shots. The highlite of that moment was that Justin was off to the other side of me when we shot and when he ran to us he ran right out of his hip boots. What a sight,,, Justin standing there in his wet pants and his socks flopping. smile.gif After we got Justin dressed again we kept on the trail that was easier to follow now that it was running. After another 200 yards it had stopped running and was curving to the left. Just after I yelled at Zeb to swing over to my left side we found out that the bear had not just curved to the left but had cut a 50 yard circle on us and was right there with us. shocked.gif It was real suprise but also the end of the trail. grin.gif What a great feeling that we found it as it was hit hard enough that it would have died in time and been wasted. According to the GPS we were almost 1/2 a mile in a straight line from the last drop of blood when we got it. It took us a long time to get it out to high ground but it was very enjoyable work. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

You can tell alot about a person by the amout of time he spends tracking a wounded animal! Nice job Kelly your a stand up guy!

------------------
"Hey Nice Rack"

www.bucketrack.com

Great job Kelly!
I never trailed a wounded bear until my dayghters started hunting(Remember me the guy that shot the Booner in the head!) But I am convinced that they can survive on one lung. A Canadian guide recommended hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. It will foam up on blood(even dried blood) saves alot of time trying to identify blood vs. sap. Again, good job finding that bear. God loves hunters that keep on trying!

Anybody hates losing an animal. If you're gonna pull the trigger you do all you can to take it home out of respect for the animal.
Besides bears were too hard to come by this year to lose one we had a chance at.
InTheSchool,
You have to tell the people how big yours was. It was the bear of a persons dreams,,,,or nightmares!!!!! shocked.gif What a tremendous bear.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Good job Kelly!! After doing some blood trailing of a deer this year I know how long and how hard it is to even go 100 yards! Excellent dedication!

No doubt a little of both Kelly!! Great job man!! Kind of makes up for the sour attitudes of opening week of heat and bugs eh? Wish I could have seen that bad boy. E-mail me with the details Kelly!! I love a good story. See ya.

Great job Kelly, sounds like dedication to me, way to stick to it!! To bad I could'nt get Russ back up there, but thats Russ. Hows the Duck hunting going, Email me when it looks good and we'll be up. Take care, Charles

jcbig,
It was good and bad. Great to get a nice bear but remember about 2 weeks ago when we talked on the phone and I said Russ HAD TO GET HERE????? This bear was the little one of the 2 hitting that bait. He only had a chance to eat after the big one moved on. Next time we tie Russ to the stand and he doesn't go home until we're proud of him. smile.gif 19 nights straight the big one hits and Russ is "waiting for next weekend". AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It looks like the big one won again this year unless "Chaunce" can connect. Something to look forward to next year.
The ducks and geese are thick and we have snow coming behind a NW wind tomorrow. hehehehehehe grin.gif I'm sending the "Bandaid Brigade" and their friends out as the first line of defense at the "Lease" in the morning. This should be great,,,can we all say, "bring me some more shells,,,I'm gonna get one yet". smile.gif
SATCHMO,
Imagine "littleitaly" on her hands and knees in the dark with a flashlight looking for that one little speck of blood we need and suddenly realizing hers is the only light she can see. Imagine when we realized that somebody had not stayed at the last ribbon that would lead us back out to high ground that night. Imagine when I realized that GPS's don't work in a cedar swamp cause the limbs block the signal. Imagine when I was trying to lead us out of the swamp that night without the rest of them being as concerned as I was and realizing that I was now behind the last person in the line that I was supposed to be leading. This was all in the first 3 hours the first night,,,,then it started to go downhill. smile.gif
I will always wonder what the bear thought as he listened to or watched us that first night. It must have looked like the 3 Stooges land on Gilligan's Island.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Kelly, I definitely gotta get out of the house more often. You guys have WAY more fun than me.

Guess I'll have to settle for getting up there again this winter with Brad, him coming from G.F., me from Duluth. A guy who tracks a bear that long could get us on crappies again, like he did last year, eh?

Good job on the bear. Takes a class guy to keep at it that long.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

Yo catfish, or is it "perch", smile.gif
We had another the next to last night hit that we couldn't find but in the end I do not think it was hit that hard. It never laid down and played games with us. I even had the "Band-Aid Brigade" helping look at first that night and with their experience with blood trails if it was hit hard we would have found it. grin.gif
The crappies are harder to track tho. The only thing to go by is that where ever the crowd is you know the crappies will not be there.
I've been gonna get ahold of Brad the past 6-8 months but that has become one of those things that I plan to get done as soon as I'm caught up. hehehehe I'm doing something with waterfowl and rice paddies that I think he will be interested in. I know that at first he will look at me with that look that says, "He should be on medication" but in the end I feel he will see the beauty of this plan. We'll have to discuss it over some fishing holes this winter.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Perch? I only catch the fish that are where the guide takes me. Right!

I'll be there, Kelly. Just keep looking over your shoulder for a guy with cabin fever in his eyes and a big thirst. Past few winters, Brad and I have met up at my family's cabin on Beltrami north of Bemidji for a weekend's ice work, and at least one of those days, like last year, probably will by URL.

I'm sure you can convince Brad you've re-invented the wheel. He's always looking for good stuff.