Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craig_S

Fly Fishing

15 posts in this topic

It's open water season, and time to try new things. There's been posts here in the past, and I've responded about fly fishing options. It's better than the ice for me. I don't have the time to fish right now, but have experience. The next month and a half will provide for the best crappie fishing on fly in the world. Anybody else have experience here?

Craig and Kiddo

Well then. I'll talk to myself. Two years ago a friend (flyman, you out there?) clued me in on how to do this. Simple. Twist some stuff on a hook and see what it does. There's nothing like sitting amongst a bunch of minnow hangers and hearing, "what the hell is he doing? HELL he's fly fishing. Look...he's got one. He's got another. Another. What the *****?" I can beat a bait hanger most days. My own design. Me and my ball of fur. Try it!

Greetings, ay.

This is Bob... drop me a note on e-mail... scaupp@hotmail.com

Craig S. I'll respond. I believe you recommended the clouser to me last year. Well I was at URL last spring and did manage to catch them on the fly. It was a red white clouser and it sure was interesting. I sure got some funny looks from people in boats around me, it was a bit windy so I didn't get to experiment much. The latest issue of Crappie magazine has a article on fly fishing crappies and recommended time tested flies. Guess what is at the top of the list? The clouser. Other flies mentioned are wholly buggers and beaded nymphs. The article was also pretty specific on what appears to be characteristic on fly fishing crappies. Jig fisherman and live bait in the long run will outfish the fly guy, but there will be those specific times when the fly guy will be the only one with the "majic". Sounds like you get a good chance to experiment, if you have any more recommendations I sure will try them.

Thanks.

Craig, thanks for sharing, it is much appreciated. Your right, most of the bites came right on the fall. Will definitely give a good workout this spring.

I was curious, have you found any differences in the success rate of fly fishing from early spring to late spring/early summer because of the obvious water temperature changes?

Good fishing to ya.

Yep, it's true that about 50-50 bait might be better, but there's a few tips to beat the odds. 1. Get a rig that will cover some distance. Weight forward line and heavy to cover some water. Use a 9' leader and get the sink rate right - SLOW. Plop it out there and let it sink. Most bites will be on the fall before you strip an inch. Then strip real slow - 6" at a time. Never give up the cast. They might wait until boatside to hit. 2. The spot. Cruise slow with a depthfinder and locate a "pod" of fish. Usually 6' to 9' of water, away from other boats so they don't laugh at you. 3. The clouser. Size 4 hook, small yellow eyes, black on top, natutal brown bucktail middle, white belly with 4 strands gold crystal flash. Size 4 may sound a bit big, but the action is the key and they'll suck it right down to the throat. A size 6 you'll have to cut out.

Don't give up!

Craig and Kiddo

Best time for me has been about walleye opener through the first week in June. After mid June, there's fish, but scattered. Big northerns turn on about the first of July, so there's not much reason not to be fishing. If my wife could just understand that!

Craig and Kiddo

I have never tried it, but I don't doubt that it would work wonderfully. The best trips to Red were when we could track the crappie movement through watching them "dimpling" as we call it. This is when they are on the surface feeding on insects, the numbers of fish doing this up there is amazing. A fly fisherman would be in heaven.

huskminn,

I'm talking only about URL. I haven't done crappie on fly anywhere else. I also have a 5 weight, but wish I had more. I've used an 8 in the Bahamas and think that might be a bit of overkill, but nice to have along. Once you locate a "pod" of fish, they tend to move around on ya. Sometimes it's a fish every cast, sometimes you know they're just out of reach. I'm no expert and with the 8 can do about 50-60 feet. With the 5 only 35-40. If you're good with the 5, that may be all that's needed. Give it a try. You likely won't be disappointed.

Craig and Kiddo

Craig,

In the above post, you mention that you've done best between opener and early June. Are you talking specifically of URL?

I'm a fly-fisher, as well. I've never been on URL in open water, but I am seriously trying to put a trip together up there soon.

Is my 5 wt too light? Should I use my 8 wt instead? The latter seems like over-kill to me.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Craig,

Thanks for the response. The more I think about it, the more I believe that the 8 wt is simply too much rod for crappies. The 5 should work nicely and be a lot more fun, which is the whole point. Perhaps my wife will let me borrow her 6 wt if she isn't along to use it.

Man, now I really have the bug to head up there. Hope it works out. Thanks for the help.

Good luck.

I'm tying flies. huskminn, gls, email me your address and I'll mail you a "crappiemaster". No other inquiries, thankyou.

crschmid@paulbunyan.net

Craig and Kiddo

Fish around that area every year. Two years ago I had 14 crappies on twister tails and decided to use the fly rod...7 1/2' with a 5 weight line. Caught oodles of crappies but was disappointed in the fight. They tend to come up to the top and trash around cuz that is how fly rods work. People looked at me kinda funny, but I was catching 5 to their 1. Prefer the 1# gills on the fly rod.... Will be there one of the first two weeks after Memorial Day

Bankdick (ah yes, W.C.Fields....)

Just wondering, were in you a boat or wading on shore? Care to divulge what you were using for the fly presentation?

I tend to agree with the sunfish statement, but when I'm on URL I'll take what is given and what is given isn't too bad.

Thanks for any response.

No secret on the flies. They were stacked in the northeast corner as you come out of the river. Use the larger of my flies however. Size 8's in black gnat, yellow fly with black hackle and all white fly. Didn't seem to matter.

I make all my own "stuff"..flies, poppers ice jigs for panfish etc.