• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This weekend

Team Otter

Although I know where to get the crappies in the winter on Red, I was thinking of trying the open water for the first time this weekend. Does anyone have any insight as to where to start?? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I realize the big spawn happens when the water hits 60 degrees or so, but by then I'll be deep into the walleye fishing. Just anxious to get out on the water. Thanks for any help.

Team Otter:

I'm sitting here watching the snowflakes fall as I am typing this. I personally don't care much about boating in freezing cold weather and high winds, but that is just me - suit yourself...

Yeah, it looks as though the weather is not going to cooperate at all this weekend. I guess I caught enough of them up there this winter anyway. Maybe I'll go do a little 4-wheeler shopping instead.

OK if we had 80 degree days and the water temps were rising, it would be a different story. Since the only difference between now and three weeks ago is that there is open water, you want to fish them just as you did through the ice. They are still going to be hanging around that ten foot break line, bitting heavy in the evening and night. If you go and don't find fish, the best part about a boat is you can move it!! I am going up this weekend and expect better fishing than we had three weeks ago, just because it isn't such a pain to pack up the house, drill new holes and fish. Drilling holes will often spook crappie in shallow water, and with the old Minn Kota we can sneak around until we find the schools.

Good Luck!