• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

smelt run?

jigglestick

i have heard the smelt are running in superior. any truth to this rumor? any info appreciated. thanks,--------jigglestick-----

jigglestick I live in superior ill make some calls and find out

------------------

cool. maybe we'll have to start an empty hamm's can factory down there smile.gif jigglestick

jigglestick water temp is 34 and still ice in alot of the bays probably about another week before they start running

------------------

Jigglestick,

I know some guys who'll be checking Park Point every day. I'll be out Friday night.
I'll let you know as soon as things get going. I have not heard of anything going real good yet.

Good Luck

Ukes

I'll be checkin wisconsin point in about 1 hour.
jigglestick we can make some new crappie bait but does it have to hamms?
I no longer have smelt seine but some friends of mine do I'll let you know when I hear anything more.

------------------

that all sounds real good guys. thanks for the input.condor to tell you the truth, my favorite is jack daniels,but it is best if i stay in the woods with that stuff. michelob golden draft suits me fine.
tubejig, thanks for letting me know. i have a neighbor and his boy that would like to go real bad, but there's no sense running down there if it ain't happening. talk later---thanks--------jigglestick----------

tubejig: where are you at the point,Tot Lot , bridge? let me know will be there on Fri night also. Check out the posts on the BWCA/Duluth Forum fo mor up to date detaials

Loadmaster,

I'll be all the way down at the very last parking lot on the point then across the road and over the sand. I haven't heard of any smelt being caught yet. I think they'll start trickling in this weekend and should be going good in a week. I'll keep me ear to the wall.

Ukes

We checked out the Lester last night. River water temp was 37-38 so we dipped the net a couple of times and came up with what we think was 1 smelt. We're going to check again Wednesday and Friday... I'll keep everyone posted of our findings... From what I hear they start running when the water temp hits 39 or so...

Was down last night on the point, three pulls at the tot lot, and thre pulls at the bridge, a total of ten smelt, I think the water is to cold yet Did catch one small laker. Maybe another week but with the cold weather they are forcasting, who knows when I start catching or hear, will post

My sources on Park Point say nothing to speak of yet. Im headed out Sunday and will report back on the Duluth site so check me out on Mon. Hopefully Ill smell smelty when Im done! Remember you cant keep those real big "smelt". {ha ha} But they can be caught casting spoons and bigger raps. We usually wade out in our waders for a bit before dark and try our luck. Until later patch those old waders up.

The water temp I've been told to look for by the old timers in the area is 52 degrees. This number has worked very well for me over the years. The smelt typicaly run first over on the Wisconsin side due to the faster water warming. They then run in the Park Point and Duluth area then countinue to run up the North Shore as the stream and river temps rise.

i assume you check the temps of the rivers and streams in the current, or do you check the lake temp?---jigglestick---

52 deg. Boy I would be happy to find that knid of water in the summer in the deep part of the lake. I think the smelt will be bloated to deathe with eggs if they have to wait until the rivers and lake warms up to 52 deg. I think around 42 deg is good.

52 is pretty warm 42 sounds better.otherwise
I'll wait till mid june. going to try south of superior sat. night I'll post if I do any good

------------------