Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETOE

"Proposed" New Bag Limits?

11 posts in this topic

I heard that Crappies would go to 10 in 2003.

------------------
...the MYSTERY is abound...

Had heard back in December that the DNR was going to "propose" lowering the limits on crappies, sunfish, trout and catfish. The last I had heard was that this spring they would publish a request to adopt lowering the limits, but the public would have 30 days to comment on the change then the DNR would decide whether to lower the limits or not for 2003.
Talking to someone the other day, they said that it was decided awhile back and the limits would be lowered, but we hadn't heard anything....anyone know either way? Thanks!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
drake@blackduck.net

My opinion is that the limit should have been dropped to 10 crappies 2 years ago and that a slot limit should be in place on URL.
Lets leave something for our kids. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

I agree with Kelly 100%, especially the statement about leaving something for the next generation.

Kelly,I'm not sure if I remember seeing this in a post, but has any resisdent(s) of the URL area approached the DNR about slot limits? In my opinion many people support an attempt at preserving this current situation, but backing by local resisdents is an important factor in decision making.

I understand most opinions by the general public and biologists is a slot limit won't do any good. I respect those opinions, but how will you know if you never try? Did anybody predict the current fishery?

A ten fish limit for crappies would be just fine with me.

I'm all for a slot limit (on walleyes) if it can be applied to the whole lake.

I just found out that the reason Santa is always so jolly is that he knows where all the bad girls live...

Hmmm, now it's all starting to make sense..

[This message has been edited by swamptiger (edited 04-13-2002).]

I don't think the limit of 10 will do anything as far as saving something for the next generation. Seems the limit of 15 has done that pretty well. No complaints from me on the state of crappie fishing, or fishing in general as far as that goes.
What's more of a waste? Crappies taken for consumtion or crappies going belly up from old age? Like most of the crappies on Red Lake will eventually do. Most of the lake and fish never see a fisherman.
I'd like to see the DNR live net a few 100,000 lbs of Crappies from Red, Stock other lakes (that we can fish 100% of) with the adults and that way maybe do some good for next generations.
As far as slot's for panfish, I don't think that's the best idea either. The DNR don't think so either or they would propose that. Make good use of what we have now because you can't save them forever. And make sure the right management is inplace(like it is now) for the future.

Crappie slot limits is a very popular tool in many southern states where crappie fishing has significantly more exposure. States such as Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, and Kansas all have minimum size restictions for crappie. Kentucky Lake which advertises itself as world class crappie fishing has a 9" minimum. The Minnesota DNR has even started experimenting with slot limits for crappies with Spider Lake in Hubbard county. In some cases slots or minimum sizes will not work. But if you don't try how will you ever know. You can always go back to the previous conditions.

URL should have a lower limit.(10)The problem with a slot on crappies ,on the rest of the state most people fish over deep water.Most of time the fish is sucking on the sack when pulled out over deep water.So I can see 2 things happening here,1- people will have to throw them back when not in slot.2- people will throw back the small ones so they can keep 10 nice crappies.Either way,alot of crappies are going to die.my 2 cents

Crappies down to 10, sunnies down to 15, and trout to 2. I'm not sure about catfish. (don't fish them up north here so I wouldn't know.) I think they're a great idea.

good fishin

Has anybody noticed that the crappies are loosing weight? I dont remember if this has happened before towards spring. The south shore opened up last evening at about 3' of water from 1 to 8ft. wide Benz is closed.