Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish_on_llc

Spring Crappie Fever

7 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I would like to first like to thank everyone out there that helped me have a successful URL experience. I hit the lake a couple of times this winter (it was my first winter on URL) and I am still amazed while typing this at the cailber and quality of this fishery. A special note of thanks to Kelly P for pointing us in the right direction, and to Rick and the clan at fishingmn for having the site at all.

I have to come back to Alvwood in a couple of weeks or so and was wondering what the crappie bite is like at ice out and when they start spawning?

Any literature I have read says crappies spawn in 1 1/2 - 3 ft of water when it reaches 69 degrees F. I know from fishing in NW WI that this happens around the end of May into early June depending on the year. Is URL the same way?? My mind races at the thought of fishing these behemoth crapodiles in 2ft of water on ultra-light spinning gear.

Let's start a thread for all of us URL up and comers who want to know the scoop for ice-out and then the spawning period bite.

Good job and thanks again to all the resort owners and local guides who kept URL in prime condition for so long.

Good Luck!

------------------
Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
fish_on_llc@hotmail.com

It was a great winter on URL wasn't it. I had a great time and only one unsucessful trip. That one was doctored up by the eye's we pounded on LOW. So it wasn't all that bad.

I can picture how much fun it would be to catch those slab creatures on some ultra lite tackle. Fighters!!

I know that Red takes a POUNDING as far as crappie's taken through ice, but one thing to keep in mind. Many of the times that people find a nice crappie spawning bed, where the still black from spawn crappies will eat anything before it gets more than 6 inches into the drink, and if too many find that same spot, this can have the biggest impact on killing off the crappie pop.

I sure hope Red doesn't get hit TOO MUCH, I know a couple of favorite lakes in Ottertail co. that got pillaged for thier crappies at spawn, and now I can only enjoy those crappies every now and then. They just aren't in there as much as before.

Maybe with luck, Red will keep it's powerful crappie population, even though it may be hit hard at spawn. I don't know if it has as much of an effect on such a big bodie of water anyways. Let's hope not.

Good luck and good fishing to all. wink.gif

------------------
Amartin@adamsnutandbolt.com

I did some more searching through the archives after I my original post and it looks like last year the spawn was underway about mid to late may. Ice out around the creek and river ouths seems to be the ticket and in 6-8 feet of water around cribs. Is this the case?? Do we have to wait a couple of weeks to start fishing again or I am reading the soft water reports wrong from last year??

I was up sat night in the monsoon and had a great time in spite of the weather but I am curious how quickly 30"+ of ice will go now that is has warmed up. Can you fish while the last part of the ice sheet floats out in the lake or is it a waste of time until a week after it has dissolved??

Help me out I've got URL fever really bad!

------------------
Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
fish_on_llc@hotmail.com

Where did you find/go to to get those old posts? Thanks

look up towards the top of the page click on search.then type in what you are looking for. grin.gif

Has any one else had better luck looking for spring bite info. I am still planning a weekend in May but I don't know when probably the 18-19th. Is this a good bet for spawning or prespawn fish?? Any tips for location and techniques are appreciated

Good Luck

------------------
Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
fish_on_llc@hotmail.com

go to the first page of the url forum. on the right in the box where it says show topics from the last ___ days click on it and select "from the last year" this will give you posts from last spring. i am bringing my son up memorial weekend. how is the fishing at that time? we've never fished url before. any info would help. i would love to see my son hook one of those big gators i keep hearing about. my e-mail is dsawocc@aol.com