Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is 4 wheel drive a must?

11 posts in this topic

Jerry is reporting only truck traffic out of Roger's. I haven't read anything that says this is the case on the east side. I was up last Friday in the mighty mini-van. I went out of Hudec's. Can anyone tell me if the van could still make it? Or must I continue to bother my friends that own trucks? Thanks in advance.

I have the same question. I have a mean one wheel wonder.

From the looks of the forecast, I wouldn't bring anything less than 4 wheel drive. Heck, I'm not sure I would go without a 4 wheeler. If it rains heavy, there will be alot of slush and water by the access come saturday night.

I heard high wind warning for nw Minn tomarrow
Hope not

I'm planning on leaving for URL around noon. I'm still wondering if people are currently driving out with 2 wheel drive vehicles on the east side. Has the ice become so rutted that I should worry about losing a muffler due to low clearance when getting on and off the lake? I have a hard time believing it would get any slushier today than it was last Friday night. Am I out of line?

i went out of w.w last night. we drove around to find the bridge, crossed the bridge, and proceeded south. the whole way thinking i could do this with my mini-van. there were pockets of slush in places, where it didn't freeze from last week, but not very big. you just didn't want to stop in one. i would recomend a chain, or jerk strap just in case. it just wasn't that bad. i remember what it was like last year at this time-treacherous!---take someone fishing---
have a great time, and watch the weather. the conditions can change fast--be safe--jigglestick--

you should be fine, my father in law drives out with a cutlass cierra front wheel drive just about everyday .fish are biting in waskish!!!!

[This message has been edited by Chaunce (edited 04-06-2002).]

From what I saw coming in last night a 2wd should still be O.K.. But I have also driven many vehicles where I shouldn't have. shocked.gif My judgement may not be the best at times.
I think the rain will be the key. West Wind has room to move the road over 2 or 3 more times yet. That is why the access road looped so far to the north all year,,, so there was room to the south for this time of year.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Thanks for the info guys. I too remember the ice last year. Fortunately, the people on this site do a great job of keeping people informed and I was prepared for it. Hopefully we won't get much for rain as it's hard to beat fishing in the open on the ice in 40 degree weather. Have a great weekend.

was up yesterday you can go anywhere you want you can even take a pinto on the lake and never spin a tire well it is a little icey but you get what i mean

I guess after today's happenings don't worry about a pick-up just got to get an air boat just when the fixhing was getting awesome