• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

red lake

Bobcatbeej

Heading up to Red Lake on Saturday. Any must try tips?

Thanks,
Blake

hey urlrocks, willing to share what you were using those waxies on? were you puttin' waxies on demons/frosty's? i'll be out there tonite with my son looking for him to catch a few slabs. thanx

I use Northland tackle only!! Use both #8 Forage minnow Jig and #4 Creep Worm with super Glo-Paint. I also use the Glo-Buster to charge them up. Put two or three waxies on at a time and I also like to put some crappie scent in a medicine bottle so I can dip the jig and waxies in just before sending it down to do it's business!!! I prefer the glo/pink and glo/blue combos for colors. Good luck!!!

The way the fish have been biting lately,you could use a cowbell w/ a treble hook and you'll catch Red lake crappies!!!!

JR Tackle neon glow jigs worked great last night. Red glow is the color. Didn't have any problem getting my limit and more last night. Went out of Rogers about one mile out. Good fishing!!

Hey guys is there much of an afternoon bite or mostly evening have been going in evening but the misses wants to sunday but wants to be home by 10 pm big day mon and its a two hour drive just curios if not I'll tell her
just a little longer honey!!!!haha

catch a crappie RR

I was out last night and caught my limit went up a litle early since it was cloudy out all day figuring they would bite because of the weather. The bite didn't start til about 7:00 pm
crappis addict

Friday night 2 of us got our limits. We were about out of Rogers about 4 miles NE. Moved 3 time before we found them. Once we found them we limited out in 45 minutes. It was unreal!! You put your line down and took a drink and looked back and the bobber was gone. We have done well before but nothing like this. cool.gif

was out fri nite - 4 of us total. used the usual gear, yellow glow outfished red glow this trip. went out to my usual spot (still @ 14')and started catching slabs at 7:30.
the 4 of were done at 8:30 w/60 slabs. sounds like the next trip i'm going to have to move into shallower h2o. might have to give them waxies a try next trip too, can't wait for that daytime bite. (sounds like it has just started to take off a skosh)

Hey Nibbler, definitely bring the waxies. I filled out too Friday night out of Rogers about a mile and a half on the east road. I could not get the glow red or a minnow to work so I switched to a neon green with a waxie and they smothered it!

Well we went out Saturday. We found a place that we heard was usually pretty good, just on the north side of the pressure ridge where it turns. Anyway we caught a few perch there but no crappies. We had the house set up and all but no fish on the graph so we finally gave up. We moved to an area where a lot of cars were, We think right over the cribs but we're not sure. Anyway we just drilled a couple of test holes and they were biting. We never got the shelter set up we had 30 fish in 90 minutes or so. Like people said, waxies are the way to go on a blue and red glow jig in 12-13 feet of water. This was after 9:00 What a blast.

[This message has been edited by Bobcatbeej (edited 04-01-2002).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.