• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How about some walleyes?

The walleye are starting to get active. The resent cooler temps have lowered the surface water temps below the mid 70s. Last 2 times out was able to put a 1/2 dozen keepers in the boat in 1/2 day trips. Thats a big improvment from a week or two ago.<BR>I have caught fish west of Goose Island. One day they may be close to the Island and the next they may be 1/2 mile out (west). A jig and minnow did well in depths of 5 to 9 feet. (Wind of some kind is a must in this area.) This shallow bite is a good sign. Also alot of 1-inch minnows in there bellies. We are not far from the fall bite on Leech lake.<P>Good luck<BR>Tom Wilson

Well, we made it up to leech last weekend and the fishing was poor. We fished long and hard without so much as seeing a walleye. We ended up fishing up by Pelican island and Chippewa bar. We fished from <BR>6-15ft. with leeches,crawlers,minnows and cranks. The weather was over-cast with a good wind. I don't know what we were doing wrong. All I can say is the fish just are not biting! yet?

In my experience, sometimes you have to go a little deeper in August, let's say in the 15-20 foot range. I fish out a lot over sand in the main lake during this time. A wide variety of crankbaits are still working, including the new Normark Tail Dancers. We run 8 lb. line (only) and longline it (120 to 180 feet of line out)to get these baits down. Active walleyes will certainly come up a ways to smack em also. I've read some of the reports, and I don't disagree that certain days have been tough, but frankly we have caught walleyes all summer long on Leech. Sorry your trip was unproductive!

I guess I shouldn't say that they are not biting just because we didn't catch any. But, for as much time as we put into it I felt we should have caught a straggler here or there. I can say that I learned a lot for later trips being that I have only fished Leech a couple of times in the summer. Leech is a beautiful lake and I certainly have not given up on it because of one trip.