• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy river don't even bother

Hope I can save somebody some time and money by not wasting any time on the rainy. Sad to say I wasted a vacation day and part of my weekend to try to fish the rainy. I love fishing, but this is not even fishing folks you don't even have a sporting chance at a walleye. You would be better off jigging in your bath tub! Did not see a walleye caught in 3 days and probably 250 boats. Wait tell the water clears and the reports are better because it is not even fishing right now up there!

Fished Sat., three of us, marked fish, two 13" for 10 hrs of fishing. Fished up and downstream from Vidas in the am, tried birchdale in the pm. Talked with the DNR at both ramps, nobody was reporting any fish. Should have brought the kitchen sink! Hope to make it back up before the 14th.

Keep Trolling

Same report here. We fished from 7am-4pm Sunday and not a walleye. Fished from Birchdale to the "silos". Managed to land a 20lb sturgeon, that was exciting for a bit. DNR told us last Sunday (3/28) was the last day anyone did real well. Water real cloudy, littlefork and bigfork haven't broken 100% yet. No mosquitos!!!!!!

I don't mean to be rude, but QUIT BEING A BABY! I was up on the Rainy this weekend and I had a great time. We did not catch a single walleye, but had a blast anyway. Rainy is the only place in Minnesota that you can legally catch sturgeon. If the walleye aren't biting, try catching a sturgeon. The fun of fishing isn't catching fish it is being out on the water, in a boat, for the first time all year and enjoying nature. It was a beautiful weekend and if someone didn't enjoy themselves because the fish weren't cooperating then I feel sorry for you. Sorry for being a little snippy, but it really ticks me off when people can't just enjoy being outside, regardless of whether or not the fish are biting.

timdogg - were you on the river on sat? Beautiful days? Do you remember the 30 plus mph winds, 30 degree temps, and the 2-3 foot waves...ON A RIVER? I like fishing AND being outdoors as the next guy but "them conditions were brutal..." I do believe the others were not complaining but offering advice and to tell people not to get there expectations up until the river clears.

I can honestly say that I have never fished in chocolate milk before and from the success our group had, the walleyes don't like swimming or feeding in it either.

I'll give you sat., it was pretty nasty, but it did get better as the day went on. I am just sick of people complainiing about the fish not biting. It's called fishing and not catching. There were fish to be caught in the river, people are just so obsessed with walleyes that no other fish matters. I guess I just don't get it, I would rather lay into a 40# sturg. than a 10# walleye any day, that's just my opinion I guess. Sorry if i offended anyone, but it gets real old listening to people complain about poor fishing when there were "other" fish to be caught.

[This message has been edited by Timdogg (edited 04-05-2004).]

Fish Head:

Like ccarlson stated, we salvaged the trip fishing sturgeon. At least he didn't blame me for the fish getting away. I had it by the tail but was just too much to lift. Huge fish!! We fished them by using a 1 to 2 oz bell sinker fished lindy rig style with about a 14 inch leader. We used 14lb fireline but heavier wouldn't be bad. We loaded up a large hook with either 3 or 4 minnows or crawlers. Cast it out, lighten the drag so that it just holds with the current, put the rod in a holder and watch the rod tip. We found that the biggest fish created the least amount of movement in the rod - that is of course until you try and get them in. Good luck up there and let us know how you do.

jstirewalt

Fish Head:
Like walt said, an ordinary bottom slip rig, with a weight heavy enough to keep you on bottom. Load up a decent sized hook with minnows or crawlers or both and wait. I would bring the heaviest rod and reel you have. They can put a lot of stress on your gear, not to mention the fish. Try and get them in as fast as possible. Good luck.

TimDogg, You sound like someone that is pretty used to not catching much when you go after walleyes. A spring trip to Rainy river is different than most other trips a person takes during the year, because it's a good chance to catch a lot of big walleyes, so people have a high expectation. When that expectation isn't met with at least a few fish, it's natural to be disappointed.

find-your-own-spot - your statement about TimDogg is not called for, I for one, applaude his attitude about fishing.

I do agree that the spring trip to the Rainy can be a time when you can catch a lot of big walleyes, and yes people to have high expectations, however, what TimDogg said, it's called fishing not catching. I understand anglers are disappointed, but most of our guests have the attitude "it's a crap shoot" to be able to hit the perfect time in the spring. Out of 14 days of season, you may have 2-3 consecutive days of great fishing, 2-3 consecutive days of really bad fishing, etc...

There is one thing we can't control and that is mother nature!

grin.gif

------------------

Clementson Resort
Fishing on the Rainy River
in Lake of the Woods Area

I too was one of the "sad" guys there last thur and fri, but hey, as I say the fishing is always good, it's that catchin part that gets ya once and awhile.

We did manage to get catch a few rays though!

How can fishing be a waste of time? It sure beats staying home and dreaming about open water. I've had alot of fishing trips that I wished that I had caught more fish. But it never stops me from going again. All you have to do is hit it once and your hooked for life. Some people are so spoiled they forget the real reason why you go. To me its about getting away from home and the stress. Spending time with friends and telling the same old stories they always hear. Sure its nice to hammer the fish but I can think of alot of worse things then not catching fish. To me its never a waste of time.....

I'm far from a pro, in fact, I kind of stink at walleye fishing. But I sure try hard. One conclusion I've come to for spring fishing. DON'T plan your spring trips ahead of time. It never works out. The odds of getting good weather/conditions aren't very good. And trying to guess 2 months in advance, cut your odds to nearly zero.

Its hard for everyone to get away from work, but watch boards like this. And when someone like Sandee says the fishin' is great, HEAD OUT!

After having been to Rainy, Erie, the Mississippi, and others with poor conditions in the spring, I'm changing my tactics a little. When the fishin's good, go fishin'.

-John

HOORAY for me and my fishing partner!!!!
We drove up to Rainy, just got back, caught not one walleye. (did pick up a 3lb smally, that was fun) I will surely be going again. It is a great experience, We learned about another one of God's great places to fish and enjoy the outdoors. I especially like how the DNR watches over the river and the people that fish it.( We were checked both days we fished.)
Will I have a red face when I go back to work???? You bet, but not from saying I didn't catch any fish, it is from all the sun I got while I wasn't AT work!
If you are thinking about going only to see how many and how big they are, you are missing out on the REAL part of the trip.
We all need to get down on knees and thank the Lord above how lucky we are to EVEN have such a place. I know I will be.

"I love the water"

We went up to the river Friday. Even though we did not catch a thing on the river we had a good time. We finally stopped in at Clementson Resort and thanked Sandee and Rick for all of their good information on their website about the spring river fishing. Since the river did not produce we went to Red Lake and caught 24 large pearch and 1 crappie. But even if we did not stop at Red, we would have still have had fun. Besides, a lousy day fishing is better than a good day at work!

Another thing to consider: going to the river is a good opportunity to check to make sure all your equipment is working order before the opener.

[This message has been edited by Fisher J (edited 04-05-2004).]

Fisher ] - was that you who also gave us the donation??

If so, I apologize for not getting a name to publically Thank You for a generous donation.

If not, then I need to thank someone and thwap myself for having a "brain fart" LOL

grin.gif

------------------

Clementson Resort

Has anyone been going out and hust targeting sturgen. And if so where are you catching them (Specific Locations).

What is the best bait to use. I usually use crawlers, but can't find them in any bait shops? Please help me out. Anybody!

I Catfish alot, are the tactics somewhat the same?

Was up on Sunday (Got Skunked)...

Like Timdogg said, we too salvaged the trip with great sturgeon action. Two of us boated 16 in the two partial days. We got many around the mid 40" range, one that went 52 and one that was so huge we could not lift it into the boat.

No kidding, it was between 65 and 70 inches with a huge girth. I say that since we had it held next to the boat where my 60 inch muskie ruler is and it was much longer. What a blast. It did come unhooked in the process of the second boating attempt but still what a great memory. It was a good way to make lemonade out of lemons.

ccarlson

After carefully thinking it over all morning, I am still heading up there. I am leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. I have never fished the river before, so I am looking for some advice.

1. With all the muck, any ideas where to try on the River? Birchdale, Baudette, etc.

2. If I try for sturgeon, how do I fish for them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this rookie about to waist 3 days!!!

Fish Head

What a great site, to see the different views on what makes a good fishing trip! This week has made some of our guys dig down to what really matters to them & are making the most of it.
Some are fishing hard & bringing in some fish, some nice fish. Yesterday (Mon.)we had a 30.5 eye which was the guys biggest so far & a 12 year old caught a 60" sturgeon. Just try to tell those guys it wasn't worth the trip!

Sandee, your donation came from our "Nelson Boys". Just a couple more guys who appreciate what you do on here.

"Stress is water soluble"

We had terrible luck also on the rainy. The highlight of the 2 days was going to int'l falls. I had never been there before. The paper mill really smells foul, yuck.

Pelland will get you out of the murky water, but the fish haven't made it that far yet. Int'l falls is crystal clear, but there aren't many fish up that way either. Wait for the water to clear, fishing will be outstanding. The fish got to eat sometime!!

[This message has been edited by Brad Anderson (edited 04-06-2004).]

Sounds like a mud fest up there.. wow, can't wait to get up there.. that is all I fish around here is muddy water. .. Right up my alley.. lol.. Looking for some nice Sturgeon... the closer to the lake you get the better chance of bigger and more Sturgeon.. Start at Clemenson and work your way west... Setting up like your fishing Cats.. Eyes will feed the same way in this muck... Loose the jigs and go to slip rigs.. use as much weight as needed to keep your slip sinker on the bottom and run a 1-2 foot snell and a hook, or use Foam walkers.... If your fishing for Eyes and happen to catch a Sturgeon woooohoooo..... Fish ON..................................

I might have to head up that way this week... mmmmmmmmmmmmm Sandee... stop twisting my arm so hard............LOL ............ok ok ok ok ok.. I give..........

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Wiskers, I too fish the red and its tributaries. I was thinking how bad can it really be on the rainy......

Well, I found out. The rainy is presently murkier than I've ever seen on the red. We tried jigs, lindys, raps, twisters, glow lures, rattling lures, etc etc. Nothing seemed to work. 2 inches is all the clarity your gonna get. We drove by the LF and BF, I don't see them cleaning up any time soon. Then again what do I know?? I've been wrong before!

Brad.. but did you try the cat riggs? slip rigging. that might be the ticket.. let the fish find the bait not the bait find the fish.. if they are eating and hungry they will find the chub.. rather than a moving bait they have to keep trying to keep up with & locate that is moving.. this might be the ticket.. Ya just never know....

Food for thought..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Pelland area fishing is not LOW fishery. I can't imagine walleyes run up the rapids. They go as far as Birchdale rapids in the shallows and the eddy's for spawn.

Anglers do make the best of their trip from our camp. Most are just happy to get out in a boat, of course, they would prefer the conditions to be better to give them the chance.

Thanks Marilyn, it's was "one of those days" and I know you know what I mean. grin.gifgrin.gif

------------------

Clementson Resort

Sounds like tough conditions.

It isn't looking good for me to get to the river this spring.

If I were fishing there though in these types of conditions, I'd put a 1oz-2oz bottom bouncer on with about a 5' leader and a firetiger, or gold shallow running husky jerk, and troll ever so slow up against the current. Let it just wobble in front of their noses. The color and rattles will help them find it.

It only takes one 30"+ to make your trip! This would be my method to get one in the muddy waters.