• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Rookie - Please Help

I have been very excited about fishing the river the past two year but never had the chance or opportunity. This year that will be different. My brother and I have reservations with Sandy over the 24-27 and would like to know some more details in reguard to what we will need to take along in order to be successfull. What kind of bait do most people use and where can we pick up bait? Are there any gps coordinates or certain locations that are better than others? Should we concentrate on a jig presentation or does lindy rigging really do the trick? I really want to make this trip a good one. We are both well practiced "catch and release" type anglers and are just looking for some awesome hook sets. If anyone could help me out with some tips that would be just great!
Thank you very much!!!

Walleyefey- I also will be at Clementson the 24-31. You need Jigs, Jigs, Jigs. 1/8, 3/8, 1/2 and maybe but unlikely this year because of low current 5/8. I bring a selection of plastics for when they are turned on. I try to buy the largest Rainbows I can find. If you have a drift sock bring it, it works great when the wind is blowin up current. Introduce yourself if ya see me at the landing(truck has BDR all over it), Normally everyone helps any one with loading and unloading.

See you in 2 1/2 weeks!! Don't forget a camera!!

------------------
If I only had more time!

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 03-06-2004).]

Walleyefey, like bdr said lots of jigs. Don't forget plastics, stingers, rattles, and whistler jigs. I've always done good right around the landings. If you have a bigger boat dont be afraid to try to lose the crowd, good luck. I like to slip drift and vertical jig using my trolling motor to keep myself staight up and down. Anchoring works and so does just dragging jigs on the bottom. Stay on the U.S side and good luck

Walleyefey,

Bring a lot(50-100)Northland Gold and Hot Flo Orange, some Black and some Chartreuse jigs in 1/4-5/8 oz. and put the clip-on Stinger treble hooks on every one--Northland jigs come with the stinger eye on the back of the jig-head and it's so much easier this way, especially when it's cold.

I can't tell you how many of our Walleyes are hooked on the stinger vs. the jig hook.

You want the jig to be no more than 3-4" off the bottom and don't bother to jig it up and down, just hold it as verticle as you can while you are drifting--keep your drift as close to the same speed as the current is flowing and you'll increase the odds of hooking more fish.

The biggest Rainbows you can find are the best bait for these hogs--they are getting ready to spawn and they want a slow, BIG easy meal grin.gif

Wear what you would for Ice Fishing--layers and insulated Bib coveralls--GORTEX top and bottom. And don't spare the extra warm boots either--its cold on the water!

Don't sweat any GPS coordinates, you'll see where the traditional hot spots are on the river simply by the number of boats that stack up in the known fish producing areas--fish smart in these spots by following the presentation pattern above and you'll get into the fish.

Take some time to search out some of the areas on the river that have fish holding spots, e.g. dunes, holes, sunken cars, ox-bows, and fish travel channels.

Remember--the river is patrolled by the CDNR and they will clip you if they see you even pushing the rule limits--there are plenty of fish on our side, so err on staying close to it.

Sturgeon are always going to be present and you'll hook many each day--they can burn up a lot of your Walleye catching time if you want to play one out--I usually just break my line and re-tie--I want to hook and fight Walleyes personally, so I find them a pain.

Lastly, unless you like to wait in the queue for up to two hours at dusk to get off the river, I'd plan accordingly and try to get off a little earlier--I'd rather be frying my 2 for dinner and sipping on a cool one at 7:00 p.m.

------------------
Chells

hey guys!, my buddy and me will be up there with you for the weekend of the 27th, i've got a blue sierra, swing on in for a cold one and some talk if you'd like. like walleyefey this will be my first year on the rainy, so the posts are much appreiciated - it would suck driving 5 hours up there not having fished the rainy before, and no insider help from you guys. all the info is more than usefull, thanks. i don't get much vacation time at work so i'll be up late friday through sunday hopefully we'll go back with a couple rolls of fresh pics!

......... 15 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!.........

Hey everybody, thank you for all of the information that has been posted. I hope to meet you all up there so that we can share stories and reports. As for many of us first timers, any information that we can gather ahead of time will be very useful. Hope you all take care and have safe trips up there.

Fish on!!!!

I have a quick question for everybody that has some experience on the rainy river. What should a person use for bait exactly? I have heard that freezing various chubs, shiners, or minnows works, but what has worked the best in past years. Should a person take care of the bait business up north or can a guy take some time in advance and freeze some bait? If anybody can add some insight here that would be much appreciated.
Thank you much!

Everybody has their own favorite. I like large Rainbows and when the bite is on and hot don't forget the plastics. Plastics work great at certain times and will save big $$$'s. Bait can be one of my biggest expenses up there. 2-3 of us will use 6-8 dozen a day at $4.50 frown.gif a scoop it adds up fast.

Lots of people do very well with river shiners and fatheads. Dont throw out the dead ones they will produce just as good as live in the river.

Good luck!!

------------------
If I only had more time!

Brian Rogers

Fey,

We buy all of our Rainbows on the way up and they keep fine in 5 gallon pails with fresh water each day.

We've always noticed a much more consistant bite with big rainbows versus Fatheads.

I'd bring 20 dozen Rainbows (for about 2 full days 3 guys supply) and then get Shiners up there if you start to run short or no one has Rainbows once you get there.

email me with any other items if you wish [email protected] and a phone number

------------------
Chells

Ramone,

I don't know any bait shops on your route, I come up 6 to Deer River or through Walker on 371 and I haven't had a problem getting 'Bows except for 1 year when they were really scarce...

------------------
Chells

Awsome rainbows at Englunds 10 miles north of Park Rapids they are wholesalers who run rainbows to Baudette everyday duing the river season. If you can catch them at the right time they'll hook ya up. Go Gophers!!

Hook,
Englunds are great people, too. I buy my bait there everytime I head north to the rainy or lotw.

MJ

Hey Chells,I always have trouble finding good bait 'on the way up' just because of what time of year it is. All the bait shops I stop at have scaled back their stock. I prefer rainbows also. I have tried shiners, but they don't seem to do as well. I know the bait shop in Baudette is good but often I come in from the east on 65.

• 2 weeks later...

What types of plastics are you guys using up there? Those new mimic minnows look real nice. I'd like to try them out up there but was wondering what you all are using?

I use Power Grubs 3", neon Green or Pink/Orange.

I did pick up some of the new Mimic Minnows at Cabela's just for giggles and I'll be giving them a try too.

------------------
Chells

Does anybody have a phone number for Englunds or know their hours of operation? I couldn't find anything with a web or yellow page search.

If you are looking for Englunds Bait, I believe that they are located just 10 miles north of Park Rapids. They are a wholesale company that service the area bait shops, therefor, I dont know if they will service individual quantites for fisherman. I was at Rainy River last weekend and had a great time. On my way up, I too was looking for Englunds bait. I never saw Englunds place of business and now understand it to be off the main road. Your best bet it to get your bait at the corner store located between Clementson and Baudette. The only reason I say that is because Englunds services this baitshop and they have every kind of bait necessary for success on the the rainy.
Good luck!

Any place to get cheap rainbows on hwy 10 or 11 (the one that runs west of drayton)??

Plastics and rapalas work magic in ND during the spring. I'm going to try them on the rainy this weekend. Plus a jig and tail are cheap!