• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River status

Thanks for the report SRR. Also thanks for all your reports for last year, they really help when your so far but so close.

Brian

SRR

First of all I would like to thank you for your information on this site. It is very helpful to us that reside far away. I was last up on the Rainy the last week of Oct. The ramp at Frontier was completly out of water then. Is the river down 3-4 feet from that or did they release some water before freeze up and it's down from there? Any input you could give would be very helpful.

Rivers probably down 1-2 feet from last Oct where I reside which is a narrow swift stretch. Saturday was gorgeous temps in the mid 40's and sunny lots of snow melting. Ice fishing tournament off Birchdale I'll report on when I hear the results.
SRR

Randy,
a total of 2 fish were registerd at the Birchdale tournament, the biggest being 16 7/8". There were about 40 people (my guess).
TS

Not many in the contest? I heard a total of 56 walleyes were brought in, resulting in a nice fish fry at the community center.

12 miles to go to Birchdale.

River is open at Indus.

15" of ice on the river.

grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com
Fishing on the Rainy River

Rainy River Fishing Reports

I would like to know if any of you have informatoin on the pelland access. Is there still shore ice on that access. I know that one can be a !@$#@ if there is we are thinking of going there next Sunday.

Fisher] Your best bet would be to contact the chamber of commerce in International Falls. They receive information on Pelland. I don't believe they maintain the access, they let the ramp open with the weather. It is a very steep ramp.

TS - Email me.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

River will open to Manitou rapids later on Monday (3/1). I hope the 3 ice houses get off the ice below the rapids there today.
I don't believe the access at Pelland is plowed out and with the deep snow this year... Cold weather later in week will slow river progress and cause some short term refreezing probably.
SRR

TS Having a bad day? Seems to be a little snap in your response confused.gif. People on this website are here to give info to the best of their knowledge without bieng shot down if someone has different info. If you heard different lets hear it!

------------------
Will fish for work
Brian Rogers

BDR
Just trying to provide factual information. I wasn't trying to be snappy or shoot anyone down. I understand the spirit of this forum.
TS

Checked this afternoon, river is open down to the East side of the Manitou Rapids. There is about 100' of shore ice, which it should be open shore to shore in 1-2 days. Yes SRR, the fish houses on the West side may go in the drink tonight! I wanted a picture for the web site, but there was a semi coming and we couldn't slow down enough.

The Manitou is mile marker #164 and Birchdale is #156. Colder weather coming in for a night or two may slow the melt. Still looking for the weekend of the 12th for over shore ice!!

Best bet, keep an eye on our page and here at Fishing Minnesota Forums.

grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

How's the runoff situation? Any predictions? Big and Little Fork? I know I am being a pesimist...just wondering

We have a slow melt happening right now, as far as run off is concerned. The levels are extremely low in the LF and BF - only thing we can do it watch the meters, weather and any additional snow/rain fall.

We need the levels to come up in the LF, BF and Rainy, but we need it slowly. I don't think (hope) alot of extra will be released from the Falls, according to the "rule curve". It's always a wait and see situation.

grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Will check the river tomorrow about 2 p.m.
We have a business appointment in the morning. It's better to let the warmth of the day pass, then go up and check it. We will be going 2 1/2 miles East of Birchdale down to Franze Jevne/Birchdale area to check conditions. Sunny and warm today - hopefully it melted alot. Cooler overnight temps will slow the melt, but with moving water, it should not refreeze anything at single digits.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Fish tomorrow where you didn't catch fish today!

Sandee... I will be leaving for LOW this morning fishing till Sat.. I will bring your number along and check in closer to the weekend..If thats ok.. I am bringing the boat just in case you have good news....

If you get some great news you can ring my cell.... That would be awesome of ya and I will be right over.. lol.... Got fingers crossed.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Whiskers,
If you have a small boat and will go over ice you can use it for sure.

River opened last night or late yesterday to main rapids of Sault. That means ice will go out of canadian back water late today or by tommorrow AM. Jevne ramp is not plowed when I last looked so it will take a long rope if you want to pull boat out there.

There will be open water VISIBLE at birchdale today definitely by tommorrow. I don't know how much ice there but by w/e it should be very good for small boats.

Sandee,
I drove by your place sunday towards dusk. I didn't stop but if you need any help, to expedite things?, let me know. I think you know my number or you can leave message [email protected]

THATS THE STORY WITH THE RAPIDS OPENING SO I'LL BE A RARER THING HERE IN THE FUTURE.

GOOD FISHING

I was wondering if anyone would like to take a chance in predicting the future and give me a guess when they thought the river would be open at Frontier? Thank and any help would be wonderful.

Yep, you can see open water up river from Birchdale, we posted a picture this afternoon. Looking at forecast, this cold front will slow melt, hopefully not stop it. I recall a few years ago on Wed and Thurs the river stayed the same, open just like it is now. Overnight temps 10 degrees, stated that didn't think river would be open for Friday. Well, Friday comes and it's open 1/4 miles past Birchdale! So who knows, I can't say yes it will be open for weekend and dont' want to discourage either. Already one cancellation for the weekend. frown.gif

It's a wait and see right now, how cold it actually gets. AND I have Rusty from Wiskers Guide Service in his River Pro possibly going out of Franze Jevne tomorrow?? Now that's a haul up hill. . .

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Fish tomorrow where you didn't catch fish today!

• 2 weeks later...

Boy Am I glad to hear that. Thanks for the updates SRR. We are heading up early tomorrow morning. Frontier is where I like to fish.

------------------
See ya on the water!

Brian Rogers