• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Only 65 signatures on our sturgeon petition, we need help here anglers!! In todays paper the DNR states that sturgeon food consists of "crayfish and mayflies found on the bottom on the river." Why do you think there are so many sturgeon in the river during pre-spawn and spawing season??? Tasty walleyes egg!!

There are meetings taking place, which we were NOT informed of, to make recommendations for sturgeon. We can protect the sturgeon, we we MUST ALSO protect the walleyes!!

Sturgeon Petition

Need signatures !!

grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Sandee-
When do the sturgeon spawn? Isn't it during the same (or close to) period that the walleyes do? Can you provide me with some information or a link that I can read about this so I can learn more about the effect of the sturgeon on walleye populations? Where is the information that states their diet?

[This message has been edited by jlm (edited 04-11-2003).]

Sturgeon spawn starting in May thru the month of June, according to the MN DNR.

Sturgeon

One site about sturgeon. There are numerous site, I must have about 6" of paperwork relating to sturgeons from different studies.

Thanks

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Thanks for the information. What an amazing fish, they live to over 150 years old and need many years to grow mature enough to reproduce! I guess I would not worry about the sturgeon population too much, there are many other fish out there that need to be taken care of first such as bull heads, sucker, etc. They impact the walleye population much more than the sturgeon. In my opinion, we need to protect these fish as much as possible. LOW is a great fishery that has survived this long with abundant sturgeon at one time. What is different about now? We are only restoring LOW to what it once was...now if we can get rid of those rough fish, we will have it licked! Sorry to disagree with your post and I realize you have a lot at stake because of your resort but I don't think you will have to worry about a lack of walleyes any time soon! Good luck and get the big one!

Your welcome jlm - Our area does protect the stureon, the DNR has stated we have more sturgeon now than in the last 100 years. Our current regulations are more than sufficient to keep an healthy sturgeon population. I see no reason to change it to a 300 lottery system or to limit a season to one month of fishing. There are ideas being passed around, although we have not been privy to the latest ones.

Not a problem with disagreeing, everyone has a right to their own opinions. The fishing is what brings anglers to our resort, my reason for disputing the sturgeon regulation change is, in my opinion, is not necessary. People in charge of making these decisions are bias, also in my opinion, and statistics just dont add up.

Thanks and keep informed!!

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Sandee,
Have you and Rick ever considered offering guided trips for giant sturgeon? I don't mean this in any way to sound inflammatory, or like I'm making light of the situation.
It's just that these old fish do deserve some respect and protection, and your resort could potentially tap into additional dollars if you sold the opportunity to catch these enormous wonders. Imagine pics on your site of clients holding fish bigger than they are!!!! There would be a lot of people out their that would make walleyes take a back seat to a 100+ lb. sturgeon.
Just a suggestion. You know what they say - "If you can't beat em', join em'".

DON'T THINK THAT THERE IS A LARGE AMOUNT OF EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE PREMISE THAT STURGEON ARE FEEDING HEAVILY ON WALLEYE EGGS, OR THAT WE NEED TO MORE AGGRESSIVELY HARVEST STURGEON.
1. LAST 10-20 YEARS HAVE SEEN A BIG INCREASE IN STURGEON NUMBERS, BUT NOT A SIMILIAR DECLINE IN WALLEYES.
2. STURGEONS PREFFERRED WATER TEMP FOR SPAWNING IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN THAT OF WALLEYE.THUS EXPLAINING THEIR PRESENCE IN THE RIVER
3. WASHINGTON STATE(COLUMBIA RIVER) STUDY DONE IN THE LATE 90'S SHOWED THAT WALLEYE AND/OR EGGS WERE NOT A PART OF STURGEON DIET.
4. WALLEYE AND STURGEON BOTH HAS VERY SIMILIAR HABITAT ENVIRONMENTS.
5. IN OTHER RIVERINE HABITATS STURGEON ASCEND RIVER SYSTEMS IN SPRING TO FEED HEAVILY ON DEAD AND DYING BAITFISH (SHINERS?)
6. MOST RAINY RIVER RESORTS HAVE NOT SUFFERED AS SPRING WALLEYE LIMITS HAVE GOTTEN MORE RESTRICTIVE.
7. WHY NOT CATER MORE TO SPRING STURGEON FISHERMAN IN LATER APRIL?
8. WHAT ABOUT THE TOXIN LEVELS IN THESE OLD FISH THAT GRUB AROUND ON THE BOTTOM, AAND WHY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO EAT MORE?
THANKS,

mm

jlm: Back in 1959 I spoke with an elderly man by the name of Mr. Zippel a native of the area, (can't remember his first name) at the Wigwam Resort. Mr Zippel said many years back LOW was so full of sturgeon that the fish were transported out by the "train load", he also said that there were few walleye. If his story is true your statement "we are only restoring LOW to what it once was" will become a reality.

People should look at the DNR recommendations for fish consumption on LOW.
There is a big red X on sturgeon. People that consume these fish should really think twice.

Also remember the fact that 5 percent of the lake spawn occurs in the river. I don't think a booming sturgeon population is going to decimate the walleye population.
I happen to think It is a huge plus for the River.

I understand that fish quota harvest for the winter is way over target. Perhaps a more conservative harvest limit on Eyes and Sauger, or a more stringent slot might be in order if conservation is really what we are after here.

Or if we are really after protecting the annual spring spawn on the RR perhaps they should close down the spring fishing and all the hundreds, and hundreds of boats, or at least make it 100% C&R.

I agree completely Widetrack! I've always been concerned with the pressure that's put on the spring run walleyes and pike in the Rainy. I probably shouldn't even say this, but, I really think it should be closed even to catch and release while they spawn. Hence the guiding service for giant sturgeon!

Canopy Sam - That's a thought - we seem to hook into huge sturgeon every year, usually an easy fish to catch. (Always released!) Although we are not promoting anglers to harvest sturgeon, our views are to catch and release.

Muskiemac -
1) Last 10-20 years there has been an increase in numbers, that I agree with. As far as no decrease in walleyes, this could be reflected in time, if sturgeon numbers increase back to what "it was" it may cause decline in walleyes as been stated in a later post here.

2)So sturgeon come into the river one full month for spawning before the DNR closes the season in May for their spawn thru the month of June? This is quite a difference in water temperature from April to the end of June. Maybe the sturgeon season should be closed April 1 thru June ??

3)If you look at the link I gave to jlm on a previous post, you can read that part of the sturgeon diets consist of "some fish and fish eggs." And small walleyes have been found in the stomach of a harvested sturgeon.

4) Agree with the spawning habitat.

5) Shiners run the river in the fall, not in the spring. Can't accept the dead/dying shiner concept. Crayfish and mayflies are abundant much later in the late spring/early summer.

6) No, the resorts have not suffered from the lowered limits during spring season. Most anglers are looking to get out in the boat, catch some fish. If they were "meat hunters" they certainly don't come here on the river with a 2 fish limit. There is a lake close by where you can hunt through April 14th.

7) We could try and target customers for sturgeon fishing late April, although this could cause a larger harvest, which we do not promote.

8) We don't encourage people to harvest sturgeon, never have and never will. We are just looking to protect the full fishery here.

In repsonse to the pressure put on the spring run walleyes, the data shows that catch and released walleyes mortality rate is nil to very, very low, as stated by the DNR. Although some females never make it to the river to spawn, since LOW has a different regulation, and you can keep 1 walleye over 19 1/2" through April 14th. The walleyes come from the lake to the river.

To reiterate: We do NOT promote a higher harvest of sturgeon. We are looking years ahead to the impact of the fishery if the sturgeon population continue to grow to what is was.

I respect your opinions on this subject, as I would hope you would mine. This probably will be an ongoing controversy. grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

No disrespect here either Sandee. I'm only hoping to strike a happy medium for everybody. I sincerely appreciate your concern, and hope that there is some way to resolve the issue.
I think you may have mistaken my suggestion of guiding for sturgeon to include harvesting them. I'd certainly allow the client to take a fish if they chose to, but I'd strongly recommend catch and release. I honestly believe their are folks out there that would pay really big money to hook and land giant trophy sized sturgeon.

Sandee
No offense from me either, and I certainly respect your opinion as I am sure you know much more than I about the fishery. I would agree, this sounds like a great opportunity for you and your resort and as a gesture of respect, I would be willing to be your first client next year for a sturgeon trip! I can say one thing though, LOW is a world class lake for many species of fish. I love fishing it and have done so for many years..since I was a little boy. I have never experienced walleye fishing any better than over the last couple of years. I remember getting skunked lots of times many years ago...that really isn't an expectation of mine anymore now or in the near future. I would advocate for slot limits or reduced harvests however, I want to take my kids there to experience the excitment I have experienced! Good luck and get the big one!