• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Qn for Sandee

Hi Sandee
This is Everett form Duluth. Again, I'm so sorry that the river isn't opening up for you. If it was up to me, you'd have it open down to your resort March 1 every spring. Along with a lot of others, I thank you again for your dilegence monitoring the thaw.
I saw your picture today of the Frontier part of the river, and it I started to wonder about a few things.
I've heard that the river gets 18 to 28 inches of ice on average at Birchdale in the winter - obviously that may or may not be true.
But do you have any idea how much ice forms down by you, or up in the Frontier area?

It looks from your picture that the river could very well open, if not just in pockets down there before the Birchdale area.
Thanks.
Ev

Thank you so much! We previously had about 18" maybe 20" of ice on the river. After the "winter" weather the first 2 weeks of March we figure it may have added up to 4" of ice. The average depth at Birchdale when the spring season begins is 18" then drops to 12" then open water soon after.

The most ice we have ever seen here in our area was about 36" of ice, that was a very cold cold cold winter season.

Hope this helps.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com