Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
gordy

Jig sticks or Spinningreels??????????

gordy

So lets hear it what do you use and why?? I am kind of old school i am a jig stick man. Also i still out fish my buddy wicky with out a vexlar. All this fancy smancy stuff, If we all just fished like the old days without all this help we wouldn't have to worry about slot limits or fish limits. <P>lets hear it <P>thanks Gordy

fishnut2

Gordy<P>I actually use old Pflueger spinning reels on my ice rods. They do not seem to freeze up as bad as spinning rods and I like the ease at which light baits go down

gordy

thats what i am talking about i get to the house and in under a minute i am fishing. on the other hand my partner AKA wicky is still trying to get that noisy vexlar set up.<P>Spend more money on beer not electronics<P>gordy

curt quesnell

I hated ice fishing when we used sticks with<BR>nails in the end of them and hand augers to <BR>drill thru several feet of ice. I just<BR>didnt go ice fishing.<P>I am not saying this new style is any better<BR>or worse but I enjoy being warm in my one<BR>man portable, listening to the Vexi hum and<BR>the Mr Heater sizzle. I enjoy targeting<BR>fish one at time and keeping the bait in front of their noses whether the fish bite<BR>or not. I like calling my buddies on the<BR>new style mini radios to see how they are <BR>doing. I wont fish outside until very late<BR>ice when its around 40 degrees.<P>I used to like listening to 58 CKY,<BR>the oldies station out of Winnipeg but that<BR>station has gone dark now. That was my<BR>ice fishing station and I am gonna miss it.<P>There is no right or wrong. Fishing is a great personal pleasure. You can play the game any way or at whatever level you desire.<P>Have fun, be safe and try to catch some fish.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

wicky

Hey fishnut that old timer Gordy has no reel on his stick he goes with the old hand over hand pull up method. Its hard to convince this stuborn Pollock to try some new methods of fishing. Gordy is good for the slot because he misses over half of the fish that bite on his pathetic rig. He has never out fished the wicky. He maybe out drank me,but not out fished. Are you still drilling those holes in march by hand through 40 inches of ice Gordy? I suppose you get fishing about 1:00pm since you spend all morning drilling holes. <P>Get Some new equipment Gordy!!!!!!!!!

hanson

The more time I spend out in the field, the more I realize that everything I need to know I learned or can learn from my dad. <P>Here's one example when the old man whooped my butt. We're on Union Lake by Mentor, MN chasing after some late ice bluegills. Dad has a bucket full of stick rods, I've got my locator, auger, rods & reels, etc. It was late ice enough where the holes that were in the ice wouldn't freeze over. Dad walks out, finds a hole, puts a wax worm on and has a nice bluegill on the ice before I was halfway out carrying my stuff. I think he had 4 or 5 on the ice pulling them in hand over hand with his sticks rods before I even got set up. After dinking around for awhile with my rods & reels, dad encourages me to put them down and use the stick rods. Of course, I was stubborn enough not too. Another dozen or so fish pulled in by him ticked me off enough to try his way of doing things and I finally started to catch fish.<P>The trick that day was to hop from open hole to open hole with the locator to find the fish. When you found them, drop your line down into the school and boom, there goes the bobber. After you unhooked the fish, you could immediately get your bait back down and catch another one. After 3-4 fish caught per hole, you'd have to go find another hole with fish in them.<P>It was all about simplicity & mobility that day and the stick rods had an enormous advantage over rods & reels. Quick hookset, 3-4 pulls on the line, unhook fish, and you are fishing again.<P>

WCT

Curt;<BR> I am/was a big fan of KY58 and I'm really goin to miss it out on the ice this winter. Have you found any suitable replacement that we can recieve in this area?<BR> I'm not looking forward to a winter without my oldies. Thought that with you working in the radio industry you might have some info. Good luck fishing. Ol'Sneller

fiskyknut

1410 on the AM dial is the classic rock station around these parts.<P>fiskyknut

Dr. Bob

Hey Fisky -<P>With a little luck I should be up that way the end of next week.<P>Wanna join me, the kids and the dawg for a little jiggin on the river?<P>------------------<BR>The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!<P>I.B.O.T. # 144<BR>Boundry Waters Chapter

fiskyknut

Won't be able to cause I'll be vacationing till November. Looks like I'm about done here till iceup!<P>Thanks though Bob, we'll have to maybe do the ice adventure again this year eh!!!<P>Regards, hope your boy outfishes you!!!!

Dr. Bob

You betcha -<P>I'd love to take another shot at your secret spot. Next time we will make sure you gear is secured though rolleyes.gif.<P><BR> grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif<P>I am putting a permanent sleeper on Red this winter, so maybe you could join me there sometime too.<P>------------------<BR>The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!<P>I.B.O.T. # 144<BR>Boundry Waters Chapter

fiskyknut

Yes Bob we should do that trip again. Yes Bob I will make sure my stuff is stowed better.....Lucky to find that tackle bag eh!!! Then after that I was sure lucky to find the rods, that baitcaster reel was/is a ABU Morrum SX and they are waaaaay too spendy to leave on the sled trail! Man was I cold after all those miles backtracking....TWICE! Might wanna leave a bit earlier next time, it's hard to find stuff way across LOTW after dark!<P>You'll have a perm out on URL eh....I'm there!<P>Good Luck next week....Fisky

Dr. Bob

Thanks Fisky.<P>My new palace is a 8x24 travel trailer converted over to a 3 bunk, 5 hole fishhouse. I am picking it up this weekend and hauling it up to Jigglestick place north of Deer River. As soon as the ice is safe I will haul her the rest of the way to Red.<P>Jake and I are PUMPED UP grin.gif.<P>I'll keep you posted.<P>------------------<BR>The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!<P>I.B.O.T. # 144<BR>Boundry Waters Chapter

widetrack

Fisky:<P>I'm starting to think you like hoofing it around the pond in the pitch dark...<P> smile.gif

fiskyknut

As much as I love the pond it is a waaaay scary place waaaay out there after dark, winter or summer! I see your out to your fish camp for 9 days eh, good luck with the skis.....Bring plenty of warm, dry clothes!<P><BR>Good luck WT....fiskyknut

widetrack

Thanks, hopefully I'll have some pictures when I get back.<P>Bring on the snow, rain, wind. I've got the gortex, and mustang suit packed. No problem.<BR>Hopefully the ski's are sensing the approaching winter...