• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Briggs Lake

Does anybody know if there is any ice on briggs lake? I wanted to make it out this weekend. If there is ice, if so how thick and are they fishing it. For the benefit of people who have not tried this lake it can be excellent in the winter! Best of all it is a very consistent winter lake, fish are very predictible and a limit of crappies is often a reality, and 2-3 walleyes is very common, while fishing the crappies. Walleye limits can be gotten if you jig for them. If anybody gets some time over the holidays give it a shot and let me know how it works out. Hope this helps.

I live in Becker, I have never fished Briggs in the winter. I'd like to give it a try, any info about where to fish on the lake and the ice conditions would be great! Then again it would only take about ten min. to drive there and find out... I fished Baxter lake by Zimmerman last Fri. I only caught a couple crappie's, but there was a good 3+ inches that day. About 8 other guys out there and a 6x8 clam.

I don't know if Briggs is froze over yet, but it should have good ice. Rush and Julia are froze over with good ice. If you can't make it on Briggs, you can always give Rush or Julia a try. Crappie fishing can be just as good in either lake. You can also find some good sunnies if you want to give that a try before the crappies turn on. As far as where to fish on Briggs, there is a hole on the southwest side of the lake that produces walleyes and crappies. The shelf just north of the opening to Rush also produces....

I live on Briggs Lake and I was out ice skating this evening on the northeast shoreline. There was about three inches of ice there, but out off of the flats dropoff where I usually fish, there were spring hole open water spots as recently as four days ago, so I don't know if it will be safe until maybe Sunday. There was one ice fisherman near shore here today, but he only caught northerns. I'll be fishing tomorrow evening and I'll post whether the ice is safe further out before the snow sets in.

Well I made it out to Briggs to see for my self on christmas day. Ice was good near shore (6"), but still open water in the middle. I made it out a few hundred yards from the south access and set-up on 3". That was far enough for me! It looks like it may be a tough winter for this man. All that keep me from getting skunked was 1 very small crappie at 4:30 and a few little perch. Well I plan to be on Buffalo and hopefully clearwater this weekend so I will have updates soon.