• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice

Two spearing houses on becker lake today. I heard that there was a couple on horseshoe too. Was on Big Lake this afternoon and only about 2 inches of ice at the max. Some guy was fishing there this morning and he and a bud were going out to try it now. I stongly ergrd them not to because the sun and weakened the ice. They said they were hungry for fish ans were going to go try it. I decided to leave and check again in a couple days.

Do you know if anyone is back in krons bay? Or if anyone is walking out by the barrels over that way? I was going to go look today but never got there. I was out on Lower Spunk today. I did catch 2 slimmers but no walleyes. Cant wait to get on a decent lake. Most of the smaller lakes should be walkable by this weekend for sure I think. Most have froze over and have about 1-2 inches with the occasional 3 inches.

Well I wish I had a better report. I checked the ice on Horseshoe and broke through right by shore. Just under 2 inches of ice. Some have ventured out onto the channel on Schneider and onto Becker, but I will wait. Still very thin in most places and open in a lot of places. The forcast didn't look very good either.ScottS

------------------
ScottS

I was out traveling around today as well. I looked at some of the smaller lakes around the Clearwater area. Some of the lakes had two and a half to thee inches, but with the clear skies and the sun, the ice wasn't looking good. The ice would break near shore and start bowing with any weight away from shore. Some other lakes that previously had are now open in places because of the wind.

I just made the run today around the lakes and it is not getting any better. Lots of areas of open water and the South wind has opened new areas up. Rumor has it that we have a strong north wind coming and that isn't going to help one bit. As for fisherman, I saw one house on the channel on Schneider and one on Becker.ScottS

I fished the Channel on Schneider last night and I would recommend waiting. There was a good two inches of ice but walking out to the spot was a little scary. Not worth it.ScottS

we live on the beaver pond E shore good 2 inches 50 yds.out. THAT,S AS FAR AS I WANTED TO GO. couple of open spots farther out, bald eagle sitting by one yesterday. the lake want,s to ice up,2 nites down to 10 degrees good to go. no work 2 weeks over x mas.2 boys slab crappie.....

tackltime,

Are you talking about the Beaver lake out on hwy 15 south of luxemburg? I was out there the other day and found so so ice out in front of the access but didn't fish. I did notice that the middle was still open. I heard as of today that people were fishing out there.

ScottS,
I know your're an expert on the chain. How is Cedar Island looking?? I cannot wait to get out there. When is cedar island usually safe compared to the rest of the chain??

Wall-i, thats the beav i was talking about. wide open in front of access this morning open spots out front of us bigger today. havnt seen anybody out here yet. friend of mine lives on pearl said he saw 2 guys out there yesterday about half mile out heading towards middle of lake. SCARY! heard one weatherman today talking subzero lows next week. question, first ice-hot bite, late ice miss the hot bite? tackltime

Ruegs, I tried to get out on Cedar Island on Tuesday night and it was open in the channel near the big island. When that channel is still open, you know the rest is bad. I would guess that by the weekend, you will see people walking on the channel area (North of the Big Island) and venturing to the traditional hot spots. I may give it a try tonight again, but like I said, it was open Tuesday.

I was really suprised how much more stable the ice was last night when I was out. I did manage to pick up a dozen nice crappies, but I still don't feel it is safe to travel around. Keep the posts coming, I am sure others have ice, let hear about it.ScottS

Hey I have never fished the "Beaver Pond" I would be interested in hearing about it though. Sounds like a lot of you guys have.

As for the question about late first ice. My experience has been that first ice is first ice, no matter when you get it. I have had experiences in Novemeber (Early ice) when the fishing has been better. But in general you want to get on the ice when those fish are still in there fall feeding pattern. That would be the benefit to getting on the ice earlier. However, if you have a warm fall and the ice is later, the fall feeding should start later. So, hopefully that answers that question, confusing I know.ScottS

I really feel bad for you guys down there in the Cloud. I lived and fished there for 5 years. I won't tell you we have ice on MOST lakes up here in the 4-6" range now. Good clear ice too. Spooking looking, but good.

Fished alot of those lakes you talked about. Get out on Beaver for the Crappies. Get out to the deep hole in front of the old resort!!!

One lake you should go look at is Goodners. Might have decent ice. Great crappie lake. Also, is anyone getting out on Rock? Had good luck out there on the edge of the old river channel off the north shore. 13-14 feet. Also, get out to Rush. Channel between Rush and Briggs!! To the right on Rush is an awesome spot.
Last ice spot is Browns! Great crappie hole there too. Later ice though.

Hope you have some ice soon. Was out last night and the ice was a heaving. Making good ice!!!! Should have alot of houses out this weekend!!!

Well here is the latest. They are walking pretty much all over Schneider. The deeper areas of Cedar Island are still open and the rest looks pretty thin. They are walking on areas of Horseshoe, and I have seen them fishing the Horseshoe Bar area, but most of the Bay along 22 is still open as well as the river channel and other large parts of Horseshoe. Almost all of Grand lake is open with some fishable ice on the South side of the lake. That is it for now.ScottS

Browns is still wide open. Long has about 3" and seems pretty stable. Little Rock has about 4" of ice and has had people on it since Sunday. There are two pressure cracks on it. Rumor has it that an individual fell through the pressure crack nearest the south landing on Wednesday night. Most of the fish that are coming out of Little Rock are perch and fingerling walleyes. There is an occasional 14"+ walleye and some crappies caught, but once again, occasional. The lake has a good population of crappies, but is not know for producing any big slabs.

Well here is my report for the day. I went out on Pleasant lake (near St. Cloud) last night and found a good 2.5-3 inches. Didn't catch much but did manage a walleye and one slimmer. Lower spunk lake must have plenty ice out in front of the access by now being I was fishing it last weekend with over 2 iches. I went out tonight to my SECRET lake had a good 3 iches of ice and had a good night of waaleye fishing. Got out around 4 and caught my first around 4:30 aby 5:30 I had 4 walleye between 17-20 inches. Will be back in the AM.

Planning on heading out to Little Rock tomorrow, mid-morning. Gonna go for some perch and maybe a walleye or a slimer. Which end of the lake is everyone fishing? Also, where are people walking out from? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sartell Angler

Well went back out this morning and caught one nice eye. The lake is starting to look rough though don't know if I'll be able to fish it tonight. The warm night and morning + the strong winds have made the ice questionable. There is about 1/2 inch of water on top the ice now and will probably be worse by this afternoon. There is still a good 3 inches of ice but the water worries me. I will try to get out yet tonight if it is safe but as for tomorrow I think that I will be sleeping in.

Wall-i, I figured out what you just wrote about an hour ago when i was walking our dog by a pond that was frozen solid with 5 inches of ice, and then this morning it had 3 inches of water on top of it. The ice would probably be safe enough out on Rock, but i don't wanna risk it, not to mention i'd have to wear my waders if i want to kneel down on the ice at all. I think i'll just do some goose hunting this weekend instead, and hopefully we can get the cold weather we need to make some reliable ice. Good luck if you go back out tonight.

S.A.

wouldnt even think of going out here today. bad ice, lots of open water. 50yds out pretty spongy.going looking around tomorrow. nice catch wall-i stay in touch

I certainly don't know what ice you guys are referring to on Beaver Lake -- yes, the Beaver between Kimball and Luxemburg on Hwy 15. If that's ice, it's the first time I've ever seen the wind make waves of ice.

Well time to put the fishing gear back into storage for a week or so it looks like. This weather has made the ice rotten. I went out last night and walked out to were I was fishing but I was a fool. When I got there I had a bad feeling and turned around and got off the ice. It had about 1 inch of water on the top and was getting chunky, when you hit it with a chisel it came out it chunks. Had 3 inches of ice but it was not safe ice by any means. This weather is unbelievable I hope that it turns around soon cause I cant wait to get my big house out and spent some nights but at this rate I might be waiting for awhile.

Well time to put the fishing gear back into storage for a week or so it looks like. This weather has made the ice rotten. I went out last night and walked out to were I was fishing but I was a fool. When I got there I had a bad feeling and turned around and got off the ice. It had about 1 inch of water on the top and was getting chunky, when you hit it with a chisel it came out it chunks. Had 3 inches of ice but it was not safe ice by any means. This weather is unbelievable I hope that it turns around soon cause I cant wait to get my big house out and spent some nights but at this rate I might be waiting for awhile.