• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A good lake for fall fishing

This is the first year that I've owned a boat. I've done most of my fishing in Mille Lacs/Brainerd area. I'd like to find one or two lakes to target in the St. Cloud area for early and late fall and some ideas on locations/techniques would be appreciated as well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Koronis and Rice are very good in the fall. A bit farther west, Green Lake is also excellent in the fall.

Easy E, if you are looking for a lake close to St. Cloud you might want to check out Mayhew Lake. It might not look like much of a lake, but it is close and it holds some nice fish. It has a good population of northerns with decent size, some sunfish, some nice bass, and some dandy crappies if you can find them and get them to bite. It is not much of a walleye fishery though, but they are in there.

say up north red is it posible to get pointed in the right direction to this lake
I live in st cloud and never herd of it.
Sounds like a good winter lake?
thanks jimBo

jimbo, Mayhew Lake is north east of St. Cloud about 15 miles give or take a couple. Take Benton County 1 from St. Cloud north, and then turn east on Benton County 43, and you will drive right past the lake. When you are on 1 in you come to the town of Mayhew Lake you have gone too far. It is a small lake, and periodically througout the summer it has a couple of alge blooms where the water turns green, but other than that it is a good place to fish.

------------------

I have been gone for a long time but I am back. When you are looking for a fall fishing lake, don't forget about Big Birch. No matter what you are after, Big & Little Birch are great in the Fall. In late fall the Horseshoe Chain really heats up if you are after Big Walleye. The only problem is fitting in the fishing with all the hunting.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

• 1 month later...

I have fished Mayhew a find it especially good in the winter for crappies off the sunken island. As far as a good bite right now I was up the lake Alexander(N. of little falls 20min.) and did very well. Stick to the NE. Once darkness hits it can be very effective to slowly backtroll a nightcrawler on a single gamikatzu red hook. Need at l;east a six foot leader. During the day smaller pike minnows on jigs along weededges(what is left of them) and also steep breaks 15-25. Good luck >"///><