• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bass Fishing the Horseshoe Chain

Sounds like some of you here know this system pretty well. I've never been on it, but will be fishing two bass tournaments out there this year. One tournament is in Mid August and the other in early September. As you can see they are a ways away, but I figured that some out there might be more open to share info this far out seeing as how this thread will be long gone by then. Or if you don't want to post double secret classified info on the board. Just e-mail me and your secrets will be safe. Looking for info on which lakes in the chain are best for bass, types of cover, water clarity at this time, what patterns and presentations work late summer early fall.

• 2 weeks later...

One place that I very rarely ever come away without a few bass is Becker Lake. If you fish along Highway 23, (look for the pumphouse) fish on the edge of all the weeds, and better yet fish the weeds. They're are plenty of them and they are thick but you can do it and their are big bass in their. This is one spot on Horseshoe that I have personally had the most fun. (Buzzbaits, Spinnerbaits). Good Fishin!

BassPastor, I will be hitting the "shoe" chain for da opener.Will keep my eyes open for some likely bass spots/activities.Will have the other two boats do the same.Maybe we can dig something up ya could use.If the weeds get really thick there,you may want to throw on some super-line,and toss one of my favorite late summer,top-waters,the "Weedwalker" by Norman lures.If you don't have one,you should get one and try it.Thorne Brothers used to have them.Speaking of bass,did you read my post about Normandale Lake??Went down there this past Tuesday and found lots of winter-killed fish.Including at least a dozen bass.None of the bass was smaller than four pounds!!!Big time bummer.Anderson Lakes and Hyland also got nailed.FYI

Thanks for looking Tumbleweed. I look foreward to hearing about what you found. Where did you post about Normandale, I couldn't find it. I have heard that Normandale will have good panfish from time to time but I had no idea about the bass. Did you say that Hyland winter killed as well? If so how severe, that will bum me out if Hyland is out. The Bass and Ski's were just starting to get big.

Basspastor, As promised, we did an early check for the bucket mouths.Pretty slow going still.We got a few small ones on Cedar Island while dunking minnows for walters.Stumbled into a really nice small mouth there as well.There was not much weed growth yet on Cedar Island.You could be there a while and still not have a handle on all the nooks and crannys.I was impressed by the chain,and plan to return at a future date.Sorry I wasn't much help