• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain

Thought I would give a little fishing report for the Horseshoe Chain. There has been a constant bluegill bite going. However, it is hit & miss. Some days anglers are having great success catching good numbers of nice fish, other days, it is good numbers of small fish. Morning and evenings have been the best. Usually 5-10 ft of water. The crappies are still biting but you have to know where to find them. The are really schooled up near the deep drops. If you can find a school, you will have good fishing. Again, morning and evenings have been the best. Haven't heard reports of much else going on. I was out a couple of times this week and caught some real nice gills. However, I am looking forward to some real warm weather to melt the foot of slush that is on the lake. I would recommend 4 wheel drive right now, atleast until some of the slush turns to water.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I've had about the same luck. You find a school and you'll do good. If I tell anyone that I was out there with my truck, they tell me I'm crazy for driving on it. I saw that the ice is marked by the bridge on 22. Are there any other spots that a person should avoid?

The ice by the bridge is never safe, as is any bridge this time of year. But, as for the lake, I have been driving all over this week and getting around just fine. There is still a lot of ice out there. There is also a lot of water on the ice, especially by shore. Not that a person should not use caution, but seems pretty safe yet, just a lot of slush.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Hey ScottS , I read these posts all the time and really enjoy them. I live about 30 miles from the chain in Clear Lake and your talk of cedar island lake got me curious. So I looked it up on the D.N.R website and was shocked at the crappie numbers!! The most I have ever seen. See I have 3 boys ages 5,8,and 10 so when we go out its all about action and I try to find lakes with good panfish numbers. Looking at the lake map it looks like theres only a few places to find good structure for spring fishing --I mean it looks like it gets deep real fast from shore not a lot of shallow area to go after the papermouths with a small jig or flu-flu.
With your experience I was wondering if you could give me a little help as to where to begin, its tough for me to go fish a new lake for the first time and listen to my boys talk about how bored they are getting as I troll around stareing at the electronics.Also whats the boat landing off of 71 like, can I Land a 19 foot fiberglass boat there without any trouble? Is the parking adequate? The D.N.R website said the lake is under heavy fishing pressure, is it really busy in the spring where if you dont want to be overwhelmed with the crowds you should fish it only during the week, like some I go to? The make-up of the lake makes it look like it would discourage a lot of rec. boating -skiing and jet ski's and such because of all the bays and not as much open
area, I bet its a great lake when a guy doesnt want to fight the wind all day. Again any help is appreciated and keep up the good work!! I think you do a good job of helping people enjoy more (more fish more fun) the limited time they have to get out and fish
Thanks, Pete

Right now anyone can drive on the local lakes. All that soft snow has turned to ice and you can drive right over the top. You can also walk on from the lake access on Cedar Island Lake Road. The bluegill are there they just aren't sure if they want to bite or not. I was out last night to catch supper and I managed to do it, but it was not like they were jumping out of the hole. I would wait for some nicer weather, like 3 40+ days, that will get em active. I was site fishing and I can say they are there, it is just a matter of time.

As for the spring fishing on the Chain, it is excellent and the fishing pressure is heavy in the well know bays. I try to fish the areas not many people know about. Right now the Chain has an excellent population of crappies and the blugill are on the rebound. So, if the weather cooperates the fishing on the Chain should be good. Long lake, that is traditionaly excellent had a partial winter kill this winter, so it may take some time for the fish to find those fertile waters this spring, but the rest of the Chain should be very good. Just remember to put some back for other to enjoy. As for the 71 acess, it is just fine and you can put in any size boat you want there, it also has a dock, so that is nice. I will be posting on the spring fishing as soon as it starts.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Right now anyone can drive on the local lakes. All that soft snow has turned to ice and you can drive right over the top. You can also walk on from the lake access on Cedar Island Lake Road. The bluegill are there they just aren't sure if they want to bite or not. I was out last night to catch supper and I managed to do it, but it was not like they were jumping out of the hole. I would wait for some nicer weather, like 3 40+ days, that will get em active. I was site fishing and I can say they are there, it is just a matter of time.

As for the spring fishing on the Chain, it is excellent and the fishing pressure is heavy in the well know bays. I try to fish the areas not many people know about. Right now the Chain has an excellent population of crappies and the blugill are on the rebound. So, if the weather cooperates the fishing on the Chain should be good. Long lake, that is traditionaly excellent had a partial winter kill this winter, so it may take some time for the fish to find those fertile waters this spring, but the rest of the Chain should be very good. Just remember to put some back for other to enjoy. As for the 71 acess, it is just fine and you can put in any size boat you want there, it also has a dock, so that is nice. I will be posting on the spring fishing as soon as it starts.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Not much to report. The last time I fished the Chain was Friday evening with Gullguide and it was SLOW! Lots of small bluegill, but we could not talk the big boys into biting. I would imagine the accesses are getting very bad and I would not recommend driving on with a vehicle anymore. The big gills are around, they just aren't ready to bite, maybe the warmer weather this week will get things going.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]