• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My folks just purchased a hobby farm near Battle Lake. It has lots of woods (mostly oak and some popple), some open field land and some tillable land. I'm looking forward to visiting them in the summer for fishing around the area but was wondering about hunting in the area as well. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Nisswa where I live.

I would imagine it has good quality deer hunting in the area correct?

Are there any pheasants that far north?

How about Turkeys?

Grouse?

Ducks and Geese I suspect are good?

I've heard of Battle and Ottertail for walleye fishing. Any others I should try for walleye? Any good Muskie lakes in the area?

What a beautiful area it is with rolling hills and such. Looking forward to it.

Thanks,
ccarlson

CC
It is the best of EVERY world.

Deer is awesome.
Turkeys are on a major climb(I have drawn and shot a bird 2 years in a row)
Grouse are low for the most part
Pheasants are non-existent

Fishing is AWESOME all over the area.

Now my analysis is strictly speaking from the area we hunt and fish east of Battle Lake. You may have slightly different results depending where you are for the grouse and pheasants.

The rest is all golden!!!! smile.gif

Where abouts did they get the land?

Ooops
I forgot about ducks because its been poor this year.

In the past though, it has been splendid for divers and puddle ducks in the area.

I second that about turkeys the last 2 years i have been seeing a lot of them I don't hunt them but I was socked to see the poping up all over the place,Deer there are some big ones around there I have only deer hunted up there once If i remimber right the thing I didn't like about deer hunting up there is in that zone they only give you one week end Pleasnts few and far between!!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up...

But I would add, pheasants are not necessarily non-existant. There are some, but far and few between. You don't want to target them unless you head south about 15-20 miles, south of the Inspiration hills. I have a nice population of pheasants I hunt not far from home. smile.gif

Duck hunting can be good, but mother nature needs to cooperate!! We haven't had a typical fall in years it seems...

Agreed Chuck.
I was just referencing the area around where we hunt. (Vining area)
I have not seen a pheasant in years.

Now if you head down towards Millerville/Brandon, I have seen birds down there while commuting to the cabin.

Is it the weekend yet????

Thanks for all the information guys.

I hadn't looked at a map yet but I suspected it was in that deer zone where you had to choose a weekend. That would be different for us as we usually hunt zone one where you have 16 full days. But then I thought it would be a good place to maybe get started in black powder hunting if the one weekend of rifle did not work out.

Good to hear about the turkeys. This land looks prime for turkeys so I may have to apply for the licence. Do they do a spring and fall hunt in that area?

I also suspected the the pheasants would be a slim chance but I'm glad to hear we can find them in a short drive south.

I think the best part will be the opportunity for a truly big buck. Other areas I hunt are not that good for trophy potential and if you do shoot a monster from the woods, you can hardly eat it. I have eaten venison from bigger deer in farm country and it is wonderful. A great reason to use a quality deer management plan on the property.

Sounds great about the fishing. What about Muskies?

Thanks again,
ccarlson

Muskies-
West Battle lake has a decent population of muskies. I have seen pics of 50" + fish that have come from there. Check out the one on the wall at the Vinning gas station it was taken from Battle (Good luck.) There's a few lakes south by Alexandria and North in Maplewood state park that contain skis also.

[This message has been edited by WAL~LEE (edited 10-08-2004).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.