• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First off i am glad that i found this site. Have learned quite a bit from it and have decided that it is time to finally registar. I live in Iowa and for one week of the year get to live in the best place on earth for fishing.( I get to live in the best deer hunting place all year long wink.gif.) Anyways this year we are staying at Rush Lake resort during the week of July 30- August 7. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any tip or pointers for fishing this lake. My family has been going up there for 13 years know and for the most part we never seem to be very productive in catching fish. Maybe someone can help thanks a lot.

hey welcome to the forum. we have been catching most of our walleyes on the "horseshoe" trolling slowly with spinners and lindy rigs tipped with leeches. we have also caught a few trolling the breaks along the south side of the lake with shad raps at dusk. have also heard people are doing good anchored and using slip bobbers.

Fish4anything

Check my user profile by selecting the icon with the little face and question mark just above this post. Then email me. I can send you a file with a little information from my last 2 trips to Rush.

I was wondering if someone could explain the slip bobbing to me how far off the bottom do you want the bait to be. Thank you all for the fast replies, much appreciated.

fish4anything- just set up your slip bobber like you would for ice fishing. tie on a yellow or white jig then clip on a bottom bomb and set the bobber stop so it is about 1-1.5 feet off the bottom.

pooh-this is the spinner to use. small yellow blade, 3 orange beads, another bigger yellow blade, 3 more orange beads, hook. weve been makin snells on the lindy rigs so their as long as the rod is. as for depth, start bout 17 feet then gradually go deeper. p.s.-how late you workin on fri. we should go out and i'll show ya first hand how to catch some walleyes. give me a call man

I got a few more questions if you guys can tolerate it. What is a bottom bomb and do you use leeches or a type of bait with this, how deep of water too? Also what about crappies? Thanks again when we go up there we always fish with a power bait spinner and fathead, so we aren't exactly the most knowlegable fishermen out there. Thanks again.

all a bottom bomb is is a big lead weight with an alligator clip on it. it is used to accurately set the depth fo your slip bobber. what you do with it is clip it onto your jig and drop it in the lake. (make sure you have a bobber and bobber stop on your line before you tie on the jig). this will make your jig sit on the bottom of the lake, then you just slide the bobber stop up or down as needed until the bobber is about 1.5 feet below the surface of the water. then reel up your line, unclip the bottom bomb, put on a minnow or leech, and drop your bait down. now your jig will be suspended 1.5 feet off the bottom of the lake.

as for crappies i havent fished for them much on rush. but on other lakes i have done well in weedbeds casting small tube jigs and those little tiny spinnerbaits (got a brain fart and cant think of the name) i assume you could do the same on rush and be successful

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS YA AND GOOD LUCK!

Thanks much, especially hydrocubby your a great guy. I will be leaving next saturday, and will be sure to post a report on how we did. Thanks alot guys your all great.

i have never fished the lake before but my buddy stays at a resort on the lake every year and all he talks about is rush lake. he says that they is a sunken island and they catch good crappies there. also, there is an inlet from a stream and there is some really good fishing their too! Hope it helps.

Best Wishes and Fishes
Mike

Just got back from three days of fishing Rush crappies. From my experience, my suggestions for late July would be:
1. Ask the resort owner where to find the crappie, They should have some idea.
2. There are several weed topped humps on the west side that have produced in the past. The west and south side break probably has weed patches at many locations. They don't have to be that big to attract panfish. The horseshoe (NE)is another spot to try. Cast from over 18ft to the weedline edge in the evening. I personally haven't had much luck in the east bay in mid-summer.
It's a big BIG lake and I have only scratched the surface in looking for spots to fish. I'm guilty of too much time fishing and not enough looking.
3. Find weeds, preferably cabbage, in 8-12ft of water - close to deeper water is better. Fish jig/minnow 3-6ft down below a bobber.
4. Doesn't matter if you cast or bobber fish, always use Yellow jigs to start - by far the best color for me. Flourecent lime/green is good too.
5. Although the evening can be great, sometimes mid day produces good catches. Last Saturday, for example, was dead calm and fish were surfacing everywhere. We caught many good sized fish from 11 to 3PM at two different spots. Just had a blast.
6. At these weedy spots sunfish/rockbass always hang out in the shade of the boat. Fun to catch for the kids (and big kids) and easy if the crappie fishing is slow. Many of the bluegills are around 8".

The crappie population seems healthy this year as we are finding lots of fish in the 10-12" range and 13+" are more common this year. This last weekend for the first time we were catching numerous 8" fish. Good to see another strong year class coming up.
We do release ~90% of the crappies we catch but some medium size fish do get eaten and they are tasty!
The weeds almost always hold fish and you will get suprised by the occasional Bass/Walleye/Pike

I too love reading about everyones experiences and the different techniques used. Thanks to all who have contributed to my fishing enjoyment on Rush Lake. The past posts have really helped me along the learning curve the past five years.
Good Luck and I hope your family has as much fun as we do cathing the panfish. Remember to protect the resource.