Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
tillie

8/28-29

tillie

I will be up this weekend with my grandkids(ages 4-7-8). Would downrigging be the way to go? They can handle spinning equipment, so they shouldn't have a problem with bait casters.

curt quesnell

Tillie,<P>The best bite is trolling right now.<BR>I wince at the thought of little kids <BR>around crankbaits. I think they will<BR>have much fun reeling in fish.<P>I hope the weather straightens out some<BR>by Saturday.<P>Let us know how you do.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio<p>[This message has been edited by curt quesnell (edited 08-25-2004).]

srj

Tillie, I fished yesterday with fair results plus it was actually nice out with little wind. I tried bait fising for a while but got no bites. There are scattered groups of fish from 22 feet and deeper that are willing to bite so your thoughts about downrigging are probably on the money. But like Curt said, careful with those treble hooks with three kids "helping".<P>Good luck

Kingfisher

Yesterday we had the best day of fishing we have had on LOW this summer. We did better downrigging, but we also caught fish in 28-31 fow in the rocks, (not so easy for kids). I used my spinning reel yesterday downrigging for a change and it worked very well, that may be easier for the kids. We downrigged about 5-7 miles NNE of Long Point. Have a safe fun time.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• leech~~
      I remember that video, pretty darn cool! 
    • leech~~
      Man you can really see the standards of this site of have dropped.  A few years ago we were talking over $80-$100 Thorne Brothers Custom made Ice Rods.  Now a $9.99 dollar rod is the talk for the forum!  We need to bring back the Rich folks!
    • slammer
      I think we should start a Go fund me for Cropduster to take his plane up and give us some pics. lol  He did it a few years ago but not lately.  Its pretty cool veiws from above when ice is forming.  I wonder if he is still lurking around here?
    • EyeChsr
      was out tonight, 6-8 in out from the dnr landing. wheelers and a couple perms out. still open water out in front of Peters resort on the south shore. It starts out a couple hundred yards from shore and runs to the north- northwest for a long ways. some of the spots that were open earlier this week have skimmed, be careful out there if you see different looking ice stop and check!!
    • JIvers
      Thanks for the report--about what I figured, which is why I stayed down here in Iowa this weekend. I am fairly optimistic about getting on the ice in southeast or south central Minnesota next weekend; whether I am on a lake around Faribault or Waseca, or one of my old backwater haunts on the Mississippi remains to be seen. Maybe Clear Lake, Iowa. Whatever I do I will post my results.
    • JerkinLips
      9-11am was best time both days.
    • littlebear
      If you are willing to go a little further into Canada, I would recommend Hollinshead Resort, a few hours north of Thunder Bay.  The resort is the only one on the lake, and in June offers excellent Walleye Fishing, as well as some dandy Northern Pike.  It's somewhere you can drive to as well. 
    • monstermoose78
      Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around
    • Wanderer
      I’m still seeing very random thicknesses all over.  In the past few days I’ve been from St. Cloud to Winnie and have seen vehicles on the ice and open water on the same lake. I’m in Little Falls.  Tonight I checked 2 lakes NW of town.  Both had people fishing.  One looked to be safe for wheeler travel and the other, very near it, still had an open lead and you could see the difference between the first sheet of ice and the second. I hope it doesn’t get covered with snow anytime soon so we can still tell where the changes are. Be safe. Bring floatation and picks.  And don’t drive yet! Ruh ro....
    • Bigfatbert
        Nice fish , great pics ,, what times of the day were best for you ?