Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
HOF#13

Otter Tail Questions

HOF#13

Hi fellas...

Let me preface all this with a big thanks for all your insight and information, it is always very much appreciated.

Just a couple of questions, as I and the family will be at Ottertail June 26-July 3.

1) Do the Mayfly hatch every year or every other year?? I've heard both?? When do they typically hatch?

2) I am going to really try night trolling the shallows...The plan is to crank up the trolling motor on high and pull floating / shallow running rapala's. Is there more I should know or try?

3) Out on Grandpa's Island has anyone ever tried slip bobbers along the weed edges? If so any success or recommendations?

I usually fish the mid-lake humps and do ok, just looking to increase my options.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have learned so much from you guys in the past. I will definately let you all know how I did when I get back home.

Thanks again!!!!

Jason

Paul Rohweller

A few quick awnsers, lolol
1..Several times a year starting in mid to late june.
2.. blue/chrome or firetiger #5 or #7 shad raps, others possibly..
3.. I have done a little bobber fishing on ottertail with limited success. I also tend to spend my time out on the flats or the deeper humps. You know somebodys got the ottertail bobber fish nailed down but it's not me. I would look for the bigger weededges or entire weedbeds, fish leeches.
We all want more fish. Nothing wrong with that! Anybody else want to fill in what I missed?? We all learn something when someone asks questions.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
pinetoprairie@netscape.net
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

HOF#13

Thanks Paul...

I appreciate the information, I will give the crankbaits you recommended a try for sure.

There are about 5-6 mid-lake humps (15-25 feet) that we typically fish and we usually do ok. I have also had sporadic luck fishing the break into the deeper water along grandpa's island, but have always been curious as to slip bobber success.

We usually use the lindy rig with various colored hooks and good 'ol leeches, so I am really looking forward to trying the night trolling and any other methods anyone recommends. Just looking forward to expanding my arsenal so to speak, and expand on my fishing abilities.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Jason

Shwangman

Jason: We have always gone a week before the date you are going but the way it worked out this year we will be up the same staying at Vacationland Resort so, I'm hoping the hatch is after we have boated some walleye's !! We did the night trolling and although we did ok but, I talked to some of the people fishing and they had good luck. We fished between Grandps's and the resort and had many good reports. We run orange shads, number 5 and 7. I also have used the crown rap and that has done ok. I also have not done the slip bobbers but, my cousin who will also be up does it so, I'm going to con him into taking me out once to give it a shot. We usually fish from down by the west end, almost to where inlet is to get to Walker which is plenty.

HOF#13

Thanks for the reply....We typically fish the southern portion of the lake as well so I know right where your talking. Hopefully, the weather is good that week. I am really looking forward to catchin' some 'eyes. Maybe I'll run into ya out on the water. It'll be fun to compare notes once we get back too.

fishingdad

HOF #13, I would say I have to agree with what everone has already said regarding the trolling options for eye's! But I have also tried the slip bobbers On the weed edges and honestly have not done very well the only spots that I have found to be marginal at best was slip bobber fishing in the narrowest of saddles I could find with the deep part being 18'-25' coming up from there usually at dusk to an hour after sunset but I know they are there cuz' sometimes the graph is lit up like a christmas tree. Good Luck and let us know how you do fishingdad

Rainman

Just came back from OT for the week! The mayfly's are really starting to get bad up there. Unpacking today they were flying all over in my garage! They were in everything!As far as the fishing goes I caught many, many walleyes, the only problem was they were pretty much running on the small side up to 15". Had a lot of fun though!

Rainman

CabinBoy

The fly's have hatched. The south shore was loades with them yesterday after the north wind on Friday, but it didn't seem to hurt the fishing. I'd look for another hatch this week and then hopefully it will be done. HOF#13, if you bump into Schwangman, FYI, he's full of a lot of BS! j/k schwang. Fishing has really picked up the last week and it should continue IMO for the next 2-3 weeks. Just remember, the weeds and weed edges always hold fish, and a lot of the time bigger fish. Good luck. See ya Sat. Schwang!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

HOF#13

Thanks alot guys...All information is much appreciated. Can't hardly wait until this Saturday to get up there. I will definately let you know how I do.

fishlakeman

Was up on OT last weekend and did pretty well. Caught some very nice fish! My dad caught a 25 incher, and I caught a 27 incher. Caught some eaters as well 15-18. I caught the fish in 8-18 feet of water. Weeds were the key. There was a tournment out there with 78 boats. I went to the weigh in and there were a lot of nice bags coming in. I was suprised on how many 3 and 4 pounders came in. Maybe the size structure is improving. The winners were the Carr brothers, with a 12 fish two day total of 26 pounds. The big fish was 6lb 7oz. The mayfly hatch started on Friday and seemed to die down on Sunday. It seemed smaller than usual, so it shouldn't effect the fishing as much. Good luck to everyone out there. Rip some lips!

Shwangman

Good luck and don't listen to cabinboy, I have never BS anybody when it comes to fishing, maybe hunting but not fish! Most of the time I will be in a white Starcraft and unlike the Lunds, you won't see many of them on the water. I'm really looking forward to the week, went up on opener and it was your normal opener, not the best weather and not allot of fish. We will see you on Saturday Cabinboy and you better have some refreshments waiting for me!!!!!

HOF#13

Thanks guys....much appreciated. How is the water temp. up on Ottertail? While I'll be fishin' the kids want to be swimmin???

Thanks again,

Jason

floating minnow

Kids up and down our shoreline have been in the water for a few weeks.It might be a little cool but once they jump in it will be fine.

Good fishing
Bruce

HOF#13

I'm heading out for OT tomorrow morning. Can't wait. Will give all you guys my report when I get back.

Jason

[This message has been edited by HOF#13 (edited 06-25-2004).]

Shwangman

10-4 Jason, I'm heading out about 9:30-10:00, can't wait to hit the water. Good luck to you and your group.