• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How has the walleye bite been up there? I am heading up there this next Saturday for the whole week! I can't wait! Are they hitting crawlers yet! I sure hope so! Somebody talk to me!

Rainman

Hi Rainman
After 2 yrs. of constant great fishing I have started this year off a little slow.Time on the lake has been limited because the weekend weather has been awful.This weekend was nice and the fishing picked up a bit,but the fish were mostly of the small male variety.Lake shiners seemed to work best,but were $4.75 if you could get them.I did catch a couple on leeches also.I do not use crawlers much so I can't help you there but I would have some minnows or leeches in the boat also.It's a little early for Rapala action but I tried anyway and came away empty.I'll be up again this weekend and I am optimistic that fishing will be good and you will have a great week.

Have fun
Bruce

floating minnow,

I don't know how much you fish the lake later in the summer (July & August), maybe you nail them on cranks at night? I've never been much of a plug fisherman or night fisherman in the summer for that matter. We've done well during the day in July, most times we've been up there the last three years. Virtually every fish has come on a crawler & just a colored hook, although I don't think a particular color meant squat. Shiners have definitely seem to be the ticket though this time of year.

Hello bigbucks

We have a place on the lake so I am up almost every weekend until early October.Starting in a few weeks the vast majority of my fishing will be cranks.Yes night fishing is what I enjoy most and the last couple years have produced nice size fish(4 28" fish released last summer).Crankbaits also work during the day for walleye off the edges and suspended over deep water.The wonderful thing about Ottertail is that it's a great dead of summer lake and many different techniques will work.As far as colored hooks go I am a fan of the red ones.

Take care
Bruce