• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be fishing opener in the Perham area and was wondering what strategies and presentations others will be using. More than likely I will be on Big Pine and will have to watch that slot limit. Hopefully we can get a little action.

I will be doing the same old thing that I have done for years on opener. Starting at midnight, I will be using a shinner colored Rapala casting from shore over shallow rock covered areas.....Small camp fire (may have to pass on that this year..to dry) drinking a beer and spending time with my family. This has worked great for me in the past.

dewski
what do you drive on the lake? I will be out on the pine too. Also what side of the lake are you on or are you in a resort?
Best fishes
chris

ahhh.......I just double checked the opener dates...I thought it was this coming weekend (May 8th)...but its not until the 15th!!!!!!!!!! Now I am depressed!!!!

Dewski,

If the shinners are runnin' you will not have too much difficulty find some walters. Run spinners up shallow in the evening or night, about 3-6 fow. Long line a shinner.

Otherwise, I would focus on the edges of the flats, or windswept points, humps ect. Jig and a shinner is tough to beat!

And yes, you will have to deal with the slot. But I don't think you will have too much trouble with it.

Good luck and pray for a BIG South wind!

I am across the lake from you then, do you know where squaw point is? if you follow the point down we are the cabin on top of the hill with a white dock, i will be in an 18 foot blue lund pro-v.
best fishes
chris

Huskyie

My brother-in-law lives over by Golden Eagle and I think his boat is an 18ft Lund. He got it last fall, but I don't think he has had time to put it in the water. I have been hounding him to test it out before I get there.

I sure hope we get decent weather for the opener.

Keep your stick on the ice, we are all in this together.

Does anyone know from experence if the fish are on the flats and bars on opener or if they stick to the shallows and the shore line breaks. I have a cabin on little pine but I like fishing big pine more.

otterman,

The last two years from what I have encountered is that the shorlines have been the best on the windy side of the lake. We fished anywhere from 4 to 9 ft. of water and did well in all areas. One thing you might want to keep in mind is that you have to watch out for the marker chasers. It seems as though people are watching with binoculars and within minutes of throwing out a bouy, you have a couple new fishin partners for the next hour or so. Good Luck

Chuckster

My opening day strategy is pretty simple. Sit on the dock, stand up, catch walleye and northern, sit back down. In 20 years, I have never taken a boat out on the opener, but may try it this year as I actually have a decent boat.

You just can't beat the opener at Little Pine.

-Hossienda