• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

24 to 25 what?
Inch fish? A couple a day?????

If you are talking 24 to 25 inch fish(catching a couple a day); well, you got something cookin' up there.
The state record Largemouth is:
8lbs -12.75 oz
23.5" length
18" girth
Tetonka Lake LeSueur 10/22/1994

wrong way to edit.
best fishes
chris

[This message has been edited by huskiesplayer15 (edited 04-28-2004).]

Gotcha Huskie.
Andover guy huh? I used to live in Andover.
2 blocks north of Bills Superette.

Back to topic.

I am hesitant to post my OTC bass lakes. Reason being, is that they do not receive a lot of pressure(in general) early in the season and they can be very good(or great). (In fact one of them produced 100+ largies last year in one morning alone for 2 of us. Biggest was around 19").
I do share a lot of info out here on FM, but the Ottertail County bass thing is one I kinda keep quiet for the most part. Nothing more than, I really love bass fishing, and being on the water opening weekend with a boat or two is great. I have bass fished lakes that get pressured, and I just don't enjoy weaving in and out of boats, and skipping around spots if someone is there, etc.....
I can tell you that Swan Lake near Fergus, had a state record Largie netted by the DNR a couple years ago. And she is hopefully still swimming. I have never fished there(yet).

There are dozens of potentially good bass lakes in the OTC area. Lots of the 300-800 acre bodies of water are overlooked.

I fish mostly south of Battle Lake towards 94. I have fished a few in the area but mainly one (which I like to keep as my secret spot). Does anyone know if Johnson, Spritzer, or Long (I think there is a Long Lake by Johnson?) are very good for Largies?

I can comment on Spitzer.
I have had very mixed results there.
Very good, and very poor.
A few years ago, the water was pretty murky, and several of the bays have trees/stumps in them. The bass were in the timber. Now last year(I think it was last year), those same areas had gin clear water. I could see every branch and stump on the bottom in several feet of water, and we didnt catch crap. I am not saying the clarity was the overall problem, but it could have been something to do with it.
We actually saw a school of walleyes swim by us in one of the shallow bays. That was a first.
I have yet to see any size come out of Spitzer. Mostly smaller fish.
It is a very neat lake though. Bays, channels, nooks, crannies, etc....
It has partially froze out in the past as well, so there is that to possibly contend with.

Oh yeah, and look out for the rock reefs on Spitzer. You'll lose a prop if your not careful.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 04-28-2004).]

There's so many Long Lakes, but I believe that on is pretty good. I would definitely give Johnson and Long a shot. wink.gif

Johnson has always caught my eye, but just one of several dozen I still have yet to try.
I keep getting caught up in my traditional lakes, and rarely venture to new waters any more.
Hard to complain with success I guess.

Thanks for the input. I have fished Johnson and Spitzer. Johnson looks nice for bass.. I was fishing Eyes when I was there. I tried Spitzer for bass it seems a perfect bass lake. We only caught a few but the Northerns are WILD there. I think I have caught a Northern on almost every 10th cast!! I have a favorite in the area, but hope to try a few more this summer. I think I will target Johnson.

Long Lake just south of Stalker is definately worth a look for bass.

As long as you are in the neighborhood, Stalker is a good, but challenging lake due to its structure variation. It reminds me of a mini-Ottertail. Big mid lake weedy flats, plunging drop offs, and expansive shore shoals.

yeah I live right next to the high school now, it is kind of weird in being what I think is walleye country fishing for bucketmouths, but I take every chance I can get, i am going to have to move around to some more different lakes I guess.
best fishes
Chris

i haven't fished all of them, but i like my odds on rush or buchanan and of course lake x

big pine does not have numbers but you catchlet me clarify we have had 2o to 25 fish day's last year my friend and i caught four fish over 21.25, one was caught on a lindy rig trolled on a the weedling with a chub, one on a 13 firetiger rapala trolling for eye, other two were caught on near the out let carolina rigging a wild thang tube.
Two of them were not caught intentionally, when I find the pics i will post, none of them were over 6.4, all caught early june except the two we were not trying for, caught week after opener. I wish i didnt hav this **** dyslexia, sorry big lake bass.
best fishes
chris
and you can catch some big one, 24 to 25 atleast fish days, if youput your time in.
best fishes
chris

[This message has been edited by huskiesplayer15 (edited 04-28-2004).]

Spitzer is a real neat lake. As said watch out for the rock reef, I lost a prop there my first time on the lake. The bass fishing can be real good with some being good sized. My biggest there has been a 19.5 incher. There is only one thing and that is all those dang northerns, they eat your tackle like crazy. If you do go there bring alot of tackle with you. Look to the sloppiest cover for real good fishing. You might also be able to stay away from the northerns there too.

Good luck

Norway Lake

hands down........

Total catch and release and there are some hogs roaming the water. 3 fish pushing 7.5 pounds last year. State record is there you just won't be able to keep it.

[This message has been edited by PRFISHER (edited 04-29-2004).]

PRFISHER I second that hands down Norway Great lake and all catch and release!

North of Underwood 2 1/2 -3 miles on #35

A few things on Norway.

There are special regs that are in effect..
Bass catch and release only
crappie 5
Sunfish 5
Northern 1
Walleye 3
I fish the lake probably 40-50 days a year for differnt species.
A few hints are to hit the lake early and late in the year. The algea bloom is outrageous and makes fishing a little hard during July and August. June and October are your best bets. June in the back bays and the main lake in October.

Norway is another lake prone to partial freeze out(from what I have heard).
A neighbor at the parents cabin just LOVED that lake for sunnies years ago. Him and his wife both caught monsters a week apart.
His wifes was 1lb 12 oz and his was just shy of 2 lbs if I remember right. He was on the cover of Outdoor News with it.

Another lake in my long list that I want to try someday, but probably never will.
Anybody ever tried West Lost? We used to get some nice bass through late ice. That is one weed infested lake in the summer.

Thanks again.. You guys rock. I will have to check it out. I am planning a bass opener weekend up that way. Wife's family has a cabin on Pom De Terre.

JBDRAGON What side of the lake you on? my wifes family has a cabin on the north side of the lake. cabin is getting pretty shot but it is still a place to go. I have fished the lakes you talked about and done well on all of them at times. I even fish pomdeterre for bass once in awhile never do great but always manage a few.

The cabin is on sandy point which is on the center east side of the lake. I have heard there are decent crappies in the shallow area near where the river comes into the lake. Tried it once but didnt get any crappies...lots of bass though. I havent had much luck on that lake over all. Good thing about the cabin being there is that there are a lot of other lakes within 20 minutes.

I agree on being close to alot of other lakes. I usually fish more in the dalton area. I usually avoid pelican in ashby ,I never have much luck there ,though it can be a decent early season lake for walleyes.

I am thinking of hitting Pelican for Eyes the day before bass opener. Any suggestions as to where to fish em?

Not really, if you have a lakemap there is a good dropoff between two points strait across the lake from the public access. not hard to find because there arent alot of dropoffs in that lake and the spot does get fished. otherwise ask at the baitshop in ashby, not quite as helpful since Dave sold it but worth a shot. I think Agape fishes this lake some, he might have some ideas .

Hey jbdragon,
Don't overlook Pomme de Terre. It can be a great bass lake.

A couple of years ago I was fishing for crappies on Pomme De Terre in the channel from the river inlet near the bridge. I was not catching any crappies, but was hammering bass while jigging for crappies with a small foxie jig tipped with a crappie minnow. That has been the ONLY time in about 8 years I have caught anything on Pomme De Terre. I know there is some decent Walleye structure there, and see lots of folks out fishing em. I guess I have been discouraged from the bad luck I have had. I only hit that lake once or twice a year and never have much luck. Where would you suggest fishing for the big mouths at?

Later in the summer (Late July and August and early September) the bass will start relating to trees and docks more on Pomme de Terre. Just pitch a jig, tube, senko, or texas-rigged plastic.