• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northwest Angle Reg. Question

Hello - I am new to the board and have a queston. A group of us will be visiting the Northwest Angle. We will be entering Canada through Warroad and then we will be entering back into the USA where we will be fishing only in USA waters. Does anyone know what the possession limit of Walleyes and Northerns are when we leave the Angle and travel through Canada and then enter the USA again in Warroad (Do we follow the Canadian Regs? or can we follow the Minnesota Regs?)<BR>Thanks is advance

You cannot possess both MN and Ontario limits........You have to choose either or........<P>Also, do not purchase your fishing license in Sprage, Manitoba (I'm talking the gas station at the corner).........They are a bunch of theives.........Just don't even both stopping there when you go through.......Also, don't bother working with the "duty free" station at the Manitoba border crossing.........That is for Canada residents only...........<P>

Thanks for the information - If I am understanding the info correctly then I believe I can possess the Minnesota limits and follow the Minnesota regulations while exiting Canada as long as I only fish in Minnesota Waters.<BR>Thanks again for the info<BR>

Dow,<P>Your last statement is correct.<P>As a side note:<P>I've bought my Canadian license at the Shell station in Sprague many times. No problems. Anywhere in Canada you are best off having Canadian funds, as exchange rates often aren't great.<P>The duty free isn't only for Canadians either. If you spend 24+ hours in Canada and have receipts to prove it you can buy booze etc... duty free. You can also buy stuff there cheaper then you can in the US (booze) even with the Duty tacked on at the US border (if you haven't stayed 24 hours in Canada)<P><p>[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 08-16-2004).]

OK, let me give the details of my last trip.......<P>We stopped at the Sprage gas station to buy our license..........We have bought them there in the past........<P>I threw out my credit card and the guy behind the counter said he can only take cash..........He said the license was $20 American funds........Thought......whatever, no big deal..........Well, we paid $20 American for a $24 Canadian license........He over charged us, just to get that "green"........[PoorWordUsage]..........Didn't realize it until we got on the road when we put the math together...........<P>Then, when we went through the border crossing, we asked the Canadian guard if where we turn to go to the duty free station that is right there.........He said it was for people leaving, not coming in..........If we would of turned around, we would of been able to purchase, but not going in...........according to him..........

Yep, best to carry Canadian funds when in Canada. It isn't just there where you will get poor exchange rates.<P>And yes, Duty frees are for when you are leaving Canada, Your first paragraph implied that it was only for Canadian citizens.