Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Jigging Bob

Is Ice thickness still increasing

Jigging Bob

Just wondering if the ice is still being made even with this warmer weather?

I am really wanting to get my 8x12 out on the South Turtle Ice the week of christmas but I want at least 10 to 12 inches of ice when we go out. (Safety First)
Is this possible or wishful thinking. The reports say there are about 5 inches know so I hope it gets that other 5 to 6 inches in 3 weeks. Hard when it is 30 degrees everyday. I wish it would get below zero for a week or two. That would be nice.

Gissert

Jigging Bob -

I checked the ice from the access out to where the shanty town normally is last Saturday. I popped the ice with a spud bar about every 20 yards, and it was 5 to 6 inches all the way out there. I took a hard right out from the landing, as there is a history of bad ice in that narrow spot.

If you can tell me where your shack is going on the lake from shore and about where you want to put it, I can check the ice out this weekend.

Jigging Bob

I usually put my Tall white 8X12 almost straight out from the boat landing on the point. I am usually on the side of the point towards the landing. Right on the egde where the two parts of the lakes meet in 16 ft of water. My house was there all winter last year. I was really close to the spot where the 4 wheeler went through the ice last year. Probably only 50 to 100 ft east or northeast,I think I get confused with my directions out there. I want to explore a few other hot spots though. Just need thick ice to get to them. I know they will produce

Gissert

Jigging Bob -

I remember your house out there last year, I think. Kind of on that inside turn on the other side of the point from all the other fish houses. If there is not too many people out this weekend, I may fish the access. If it's busy, I'll go elsewhere on the lake.

Last weekend, that open spot was not there, but I steered clear of it anyway. The ice did look good, however. There were open spots on Thanksgiving several hundred yards to the east, out in the middle of the eastern lobe of the lake. When I was a kid, there used to be a bad spot right on the end of the point, but the water was a lot lower then.

Jigging Bob

Yep that probably was my house you seen. I try and stay away from the packs of fisherman. I like as little weight and comotion on the ice where I am as possible. That way I can relax in comfort.

It probobly would be safe to stay away from That ice right out from the access you are talking about. It took darn near all winter to freeze that hole. Was a bit spooky walking out around open water at night time.

Is there a chance of the ice getting thick enough for a 8X12 by Christmas?

We have about 3" of fresh snow up here in Fargo. I wonder if it will make it your way? Would cause the old insulation thing to the ice. That isen't good for us.

Gissert

Jigging Bob-

There was seven inches of ice down at the access last night. I drug an 8 x 8 out with my quad for some dudes who looked like they were going to do it by hand.

There are a couple houses in the area where the open water was last year.

Very nice looking ice this year.

Jigging Bob

Gissert,'
7" That is great to here. Do you think there are many soft spots any where this year.

Good to here that death trap hole right in front of the access sealed up. That was dangerous when people didn't Know the ice situations and drove trucks by that spot.

My house is officially done. So I am just waiting for that 10" mark to get on. Shouldn't be long now. I will probably pull my house out to our cabin this weekend so its ready to get on the lake. Thanks for keeping me posted. Gissert, good luck to you

Gissert

Jigging Bob -

This is the nicest ice I have seen in years. If it gets cold like the forecast indicates, you may be able to get your house out this weekend if you have a sled or a quad to move it.

The north shore of the lake had some water right next to shore, but that looked to be from that heavy wind on Saturday. The ice underneath was still good.

Good luck when you get out. Be careful around that point. I have seen the ice go crappy there many other years....

Jigging Bob

Gissert
Is there a spring on that point. It didn't seem to get to bad last year, but every year is different as you know. The guy who owns the resort said that the ice gets crappy there also. Thanks for the tip. Ice Tips keep me dry.

I would be in heaven if I got out there next weekend. Might have to work most of the weekend though. If you see my house out there and I am in there. Stop in for a beer. I'm the good looking guy in the house that catches all the fish usually so you will know which one I am. Just kidding. The ____ is getting deep in here.
Hope this cold weather comes, it is just what we need out there. Talk later.

Jigging Bob

Gissert
House is going out this weekend. I miss being in a big house. I am not sure where to place it yet but I will find somewhere. I went out a bunch of times this week and I haven't had much of a bite. Others fishing there are having the same bad luck. Good time to really get around and check some depths and such. Well good luck to you.

Gissert

Are you going to put your house on the east side of the point? I'll might take the kid for a wheeler or sled ride on Saturday morning and say hi.

The Warden and I are gonna get a baby sitter and head over to Ottertail in the afternoon.

Jigging Bob

I am not sure if I am putting it out in that spot. I haven't been having much luck in that area. I might try farther south. Well just look for a big tall white house. We probably won't be to much farther away than normal. I hope to meet you Saturday. Always nice to meet locals on the lake.
Have you heard if the fishing has improved much there. It has been dead lately.

Gissert

Jigging Bob-

I have not been out for a couple weeks. Last week I was up at LOW in the Angle chasing 'eyes.

Maybe see you tomorrow sometime.