• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

just wondering on some suggestions on some lakes in this area. i'm looking for a lake where i can get some decent fishing while walking on the ice since i don't have a 4wheeler. i'm thinking about ottertail or big pine, but i know absolutely nothing about them??? looking at the ottertail map, it looks like there is a nice flat with a steep drop adjacent to it about a half mile out from the public access by pelican bay. looks like a good place to start looking along that drop? any info would be greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 11-15-2003).]

Without going into too much detail, I would suggest that you have pretty good instincts. My permanent will probably be somewhere along that dropoff in about a month or so...

Don't overlook some of the nearby smaller lakes, though...Walker can be good for crappies in the winter, as can Buchanan.

Rap,

We had an aqua-view up there last winter. We could see roughly 6ft. If you are looking at color selection, I tend to favor metalics - gold & silver on cloudy days, and orange, pinks, chartruse on clear days. At night, I almost always end up using metalics. Everyone has their favorite jigs & spoons. As for location, there are several good areas. When ice becomes drivable I am normally out on the island structures.

Good Luck.

Ottertail is a fairly clear lake. Once when I was fishing on the South side, about 12 feet deep and a sunny day, I could see the perch and the white tips on the walleye tails. The thing is, the tops of thoes fish blend in very well with a sand bottom with no weeds to highlight the bottom.
I have also had very good results using an Aqua-view camera on OT. As rookie said, within six feet one can see quite well. It's a fun lake for fishing. After all, to my knowledge all the walleyes stocked into Ottertail county lakes come from OT.

OK then. Good luck.