Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
hischani

Help in Fergus Falls

hischani

My husband and I recently moved into FF. And he's taken fishing up again, after several years break.
We don't drive, so its basically what is within walking distance for him (would be us,its something I'd like to learnto do but no fishing lisence for me, so have to wait).
Where is a good spot on the river for him to fish from. He found one, but the access was denied to him (evil security guards)

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
thankyou
Chani

Chani......I grew up in Fergus and spent my summers fishing from shore on the river (when my dad wasn't taking me fishing in the boat somewhere.) We used to fish alot right above the dam just off Lincoln Ave. and Cascade St. right across from Otter Tail Power and behind the M&H gas station. We used to catch alot of northerns and bass back there but anything is possible. The stretch of river east of there is pretty accessible too. We also used to fish down by the dairy off Stanton Ave. If you follow the railroad tracks east from there (over by the trestle) theres a backwater area that holds alot of panfish and a great crappie spot in the spring. Just basically find the "holes" and fish them. The river has alot of fish in it still. It's been many years since I did that and I'm not sure about accessiblilty in all of those areas. So excuse if you can't get to them.......T

hischani

Thankyou
The dairy area is where the evil security guards chased him off.
I made the fatal mistake of going with him this evening, dragging the kids along. Never had been fishing before, but he let me hold the rod a couple of times..
I now have one thing to say about fishing
sneaky bloody fish

Gissert

There is another dam that is behind Kmart that could be worth a shot. Follow the tracks down from the dairy, or follow the gravel road that goes behind Olson Oil. The downstream side will probably be off limits, as this is the city water works.

The stretch downstream from the city dam that T-Bone mentioned is nice looking, and has a hiking trail along the edge. It will probably be a bit more fishable once the Union bridge work is finished.

If you can get toward the north/east side of town, there are good spots as well.

On the east side of town, follow Mt. Faith street out toward the power plant. Where that street crosses the river may be a good spot for some catch and release smallmouth fishing.

If you keep following Mt. Faith out of town about a mile and a half. there is Johnson's Broken Down Dam Park. This area is an undeveloped park which contains the remnants of a failed dam from the early 1900's. There are lots of little pools behind the old concrete chunks that hold several different species of fish.

Delagoon Park on Pebble Lake has a good public dock. Pebble can also be a decent lake in the winter months.

Good Luck!

hischani

Thankyou indeed for the advice given here ~grins~ now we just have to find someone to watch the kids in exchange for me doing the same down the line. Or persuade mother in law to watch them on occasions so I can actually try fishing.

3 year old and 4 month old at the side of the river was...errm interesting.

deacon

Those are all good spots. As far as lures a jig with a twister tail is very good. Best luck in the river with black or yellow head and a black, yellow or orange (yes orange) body. Good luck, watch out the rocks can be slippery.