Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

We all know that the walleyes slow down as the summer progresses, but you always hear about lakes like West Battle or Ottertail turning on deeer or on the flats. I also hear about alot guys that troll deep for suspended muskies in the summer, and do really well on big walleyes. Is there a lake, or mosre specific, a location on a lake that is good during the dog days of summer.

I'm getting sick of golfing in the summer when the fishing 'supposedly' sucks. And I don't want to drive to Lake of the Woods to catch walleyes.
Any info would be appreciated.

Hey neighbor! I'm a Clitherallite too. I probably know you smile.gif

I honestly believe that the fish only get more aggressive as the water warms and they are on a feeding frenzy. The problem is you have to find them, that's the tough part. I fish the same lakes and I will be trying a whole bunch of different methods this summer.

When July and August rolls around I think you'll have to keep in mind that the thermocline plays a huge roll this time of year. Fish will typically not be below the thermocline so you can eliminate some water there. Some electronics will give you a false reading over deep water, and that indicates the possible thermocline.

Think weeds! I've had really good success for all species in the thickest weeds on a hot, calm day. It amazes me myself, but true. I've caught eyes on crankbaits and bass spinner baits in the thickest of weeds in the middle of the day in shallow water! I usually try to start shallow and work deeper. Speed up the presentations too because these fish want to eat and they will go after a meal if it's moving away from them quickly. The slower presentation is for when the water is cool and they aren't too active.

Give up golf. It's too expensive (like fishing isn't) and frustrating! At least for me it was.

I'm no master on thermoclines, but from what I have read and from what knowledgable people have said (and what I understand, which isn't a whole lot sometimes) that basically there is not a lot of oxygen below the thermocline. It's variables with water temps and stuff of that nature I think.

Toad (Cory) in the Brainerd Forum is a master on thermoclines. He's written some unreal articles from his studies. Do a search in that forum and you will find more reliable info.

Fish like Lake Trout can survive ok below the thermocline.

There have been some lakes I have fished in July where everything over 25 feet deep there was a straight line across my Lowrance graph. The LCG gave me a false reading of some kind that indicated that was a thermocline. It seems like every lake gives me some kind of a different reading.

Dano2

Good info. CD, I'll have to try this too.
I always thought they went real deep during the hot summer days, so I usually would just go out in the venings and troll cranks in the shallows, this has been about the only way I could EVER catch a walleye as far as open water goes, but i never had the patience to try other things like lindy rigs and whatever else, so here i find myself this year consuming so much info. that my brain is ready to EXPLODE. Now I just have to get out more often and tryan put some of these things to use, heh.

You say the eyes wont be below the thermocline usually at these times of year(July/August)
can you expand on this at all,
like why, and is there a certain time of day, and anything else you can think of.
Thanks