• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We all know that the walleyes slow down as the summer progresses, but you always hear about lakes like West Battle or Ottertail turning on deeer or on the flats. I also hear about alot guys that troll deep for suspended muskies in the summer, and do really well on big walleyes. Is there a lake, or mosre specific, a location on a lake that is good during the dog days of summer.

I'm getting sick of golfing in the summer when the fishing 'supposedly' sucks. And I don't want to drive to Lake of the Woods to catch walleyes.
Any info would be appreciated.

Hey neighbor! I'm a Clitherallite too. I probably know you smile.gif

I honestly believe that the fish only get more aggressive as the water warms and they are on a feeding frenzy. The problem is you have to find them, that's the tough part. I fish the same lakes and I will be trying a whole bunch of different methods this summer.

When July and August rolls around I think you'll have to keep in mind that the thermocline plays a huge roll this time of year. Fish will typically not be below the thermocline so you can eliminate some water there. Some electronics will give you a false reading over deep water, and that indicates the possible thermocline.

Think weeds! I've had really good success for all species in the thickest weeds on a hot, calm day. It amazes me myself, but true. I've caught eyes on crankbaits and bass spinner baits in the thickest of weeds in the middle of the day in shallow water! I usually try to start shallow and work deeper. Speed up the presentations too because these fish want to eat and they will go after a meal if it's moving away from them quickly. The slower presentation is for when the water is cool and they aren't too active.

Give up golf. It's too expensive (like fishing isn't) and frustrating! At least for me it was.

I'm no master on thermoclines, but from what I have read and from what knowledgable people have said (and what I understand, which isn't a whole lot sometimes) that basically there is not a lot of oxygen below the thermocline. It's variables with water temps and stuff of that nature I think.

Toad (Cory) in the Brainerd Forum is a master on thermoclines. He's written some unreal articles from his studies. Do a search in that forum and you will find more reliable info.

Fish like Lake Trout can survive ok below the thermocline.

There have been some lakes I have fished in July where everything over 25 feet deep there was a straight line across my Lowrance graph. The LCG gave me a false reading of some kind that indicated that was a thermocline. It seems like every lake gives me some kind of a different reading.

Good info. CD, I'll have to try this too.
I always thought they went real deep during the hot summer days, so I usually would just go out in the venings and troll cranks in the shallows, this has been about the only way I could EVER catch a walleye as far as open water goes, but i never had the patience to try other things like lindy rigs and whatever else, so here i find myself this year consuming so much info. that my brain is ready to EXPLODE. Now I just have to get out more often and tryan put some of these things to use, heh.

You say the eyes wont be below the thermocline usually at these times of year(July/August)
can you expand on this at all,
like why, and is there a certain time of day, and anything else you can think of.
Thanks

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.