Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Resorter

Best place to fish from shore

Resorter

Hoot lake has a cove just off Ottertail 1 highway right outside of Fergus.. public on the opposite side of the highway.. spring time is good for crappies and bass..alot of gills too.. nice bank to stand on.. and Pebble Lake has some nice areas too.. it the one in DeLagoon Park good luck

Cicada

Beers Lake in Maplewood State Park has a fishing pier near it's access. Great day trip. Quiet, little to no traffic, and on a good spot. Campgrounds are nearby with nice toilets and picnic tables.

Also, in Maplewood State Park is Twenty-One. Walk -in lake with special regs. Payoff is nicer than average panfish.

On the way up you could hit Tonseth Lake. It's on County Road 3 near the town of Edwards. There is a gravel road that goes between the main lake and a pond connected by a culvert. Lots of panfish on both sides of the road.

Good luck and have fun with the little one.

[This message has been edited by Cicada (edited 05-23-2003).]

Master of Fishes

I am new to Fergus area and am wondering the best lakes to take my 4 year-old just to fish for an hour from shore. Not too picky about type of fish...just for some quick fun.

Thanks

I like the Otter Tail River in town. Great smallies below the dam, but with a 4 year old I wouldn't recommend that. A little dangerous. Above the dam there is a bike path (I think) and park-like area that you could fish.

I've seen people fish from shore near the Phelps Mill in the park. I don't know what they are fishing for. Phelps Mill is NE of Fergus about 10 miles or so up Co. Rd 1 and then signs will direct you there.

I don't know any lakes that cater to shore fishing to the public. If I can think of any, I'll let you know.

Gissert

As CD mentioned, Phelps Mill is popular. Sometimes it gets a bit busy, but early mornings and weekdays are usually good. Northerns and rock bass are the usual fish there. Crappies are also present. Just below the dam is where most people fish. There is access to the riverbanks by the parking lot also.

The outlet of the Ottertail Lake is a good spot where the water spills over the dam. A good mix of species are present.

Orwell dam west of Fergus is a good spot also. It also has a great playground if you kid gets bored. All smallmouth are catch and release.

There is a public dock at DeLagoon park in Fergus, on Pebble Lake.

Just west of Dalton, there is Rose Lake that has nice panfish. Right where #82 runs over the creek is the spot. Be careful that you do not trespass on private property here.

The north and south public access on Clitherall have deep water within easy casting distance.

Where Hwy 35 crosses between north and south 10 mile is popular.

Good luck. If you go for a drive and look around, you will surely find other good shore spots as well. Good Luck!

While you're in the Phelps Mill area, try the dock at the public access on Round Lake just NW of Maine. My kids catch tons of bluegills and a few small bass there. Usually very quiet there, too.

FLB

[This message has been edited by Freckled Lady Bucket (edited 06-05-2003).]

yourresort

Phelps Mill!!!

I have to thank Pat Casey for taking my 5 year old, Dawson, and his 4 year old, Aaron to Phelps Mill on Tuesday. They came home with a Perch, a sunfish and 3 crappie; not to mention the 3+ pound Large mouth Dawson caught that was released after a picture or 2.

Phelps Mill is always an easy referral for those with little ones. You catch a variety of fish and the swingset is there if the attention span is too short.

Here are some Sunnies that were caught at Phelps Mill last August.....
2002_h03.jpg

------------------
Paul Ness
Three Seasons Lodge on Otter Tail Lake

castagain

Phelps Mill was a blast! It is priceless to see the expression on a young child's face when reeling in a fish. More priceless is the opportunity to explain that the fish can be released to be caught another day. To watch the kids toss 'em back, and to learn that is a good thing to do at times was great! My son Zach and I had a great time with Dawson and Aaron. It was a lifetime experience for all of us.

Bobber fishing with crawlers and minnows will definitely yield results in the lagoon area near the swing set with the slide. The two little fellas had most of their success near the running water inlet just off the shore. I am sending the pictures to you Paul, and maybe you can post them when you get them! They are absolutley priceless. By the way, Aaron is having withdrawls and thinks we should come to see Dawson very soon! HAHA!

yourresort

Castaway (Pat!)

I don't know if I thanked you for taking the boys fishing, so THANKS!

It was great to get to know you and your family. We also look forward to your return.

Dawson says it best, "Why did Aaron's family have to leave?" We are truly blest, that we have so many guests that make us want to say that same thing.

Chat with you later.

------------------
Paul Ness

yourresort

Pat,

Thanks for the pictures....

Here is one of them....
2003_dawsonAaron.jpg

Dawson still raves about it. He was telling the "new" kids over the campfire about catching fish with his buddie Aaron, and how he had to leave. "You should have been here!" He said

------------------
Paul Ness