• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, I'm finally back on the board. I can hardly contain myself with only one day left before opener. I just hope the weather gives us a little break so its not that miserable. O.T. is where my little dingy will be. How many others will be there? I look for this to be one of the best openers for the last few years. It seems like the walleyes should be recouperated from the spawn and ready to feed. The shiners made a great run last Friday, we spanked'em seining and I think they are almost done. So those minnows should be sitting out on the first break, just luring in the eyes. Also the great Jerry's Village Inn will be calling our name Sat. for lunch!!

slopper did you store the shiners in the secret spot? ACE

Has anyone seen any suckers or rough fish while seining shiners? I would like to do some bowfishing over the weekend.

Thanks
Otter

fifty gallons a what size do you call a plastic trash can! Four passes with the sein net and you could hardly lift it each time. I guess you just have to know were to look for them. RIGHT! By the way ace the motherload is at the secret spot the cage is full. jim was so pissed.

So basically you are admitting you broke the law. By law in Minnesota you can only trap 24 dozen shiners with out a bait license.

Maybe they have a license?

[This message has been edited by SXViper (edited 05-13-2003).]

Does it really matter in the realm of life if someone catches a few shiners without a so called license. There are too many regulations already, if a guy can catch a few shiners for personal use to save a few bucks so be it.

I guess in that sense, what does it matter if someone catches a few extra walleyes?? It's all about excess.

I know it would upset me...which is why I want laws!!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 05-13-2003).]

"Maybe they have a license?"
Yeah, right....why would a bait dealer brag about how many shiners they caught?

'Does it really matter in the realm of life if someone catches a few shiners without a so called license. There are too many regulations already, if a guy can catch a few shiners for personal use to save a few bucks so be it.'

Like Hammer said - its all about excess. If several thousand shiners were transported, more than likely a good share died. Those several thousand removed from spawning may have reduced this summers shiner population by several hundred thousand. Your geuss is as good as mine as to what this can do to a lake. Maybe they came from 'your' lake... The main point is that the regulations are in place for a reason - a few slobs can ruin a lake. If you think there are too many regulations - get involved. The DNR has public forums, have you ever attended?
I'm off the soapbox.

fishlips and underwood. How in the **** do you know if there are 24 dozen in a 50 gallon trash can. Yes laws are made for a reason, but you have no idea how many shiners are in a 50 gallon trash can, so quit being jealous. just cuz you couldn't find the shiners, doesn't mean you have the right to point fingers. take it easy guys.

nice math work. the minnows were transported in a fifty gallon trash can, with obviously a lot of water and minnows. When there are 8 people who sein them and then split them up, you can get a lot of minnows. 192 dozen by law can be possessed. There wasn't more than 200 dozen, slopper exxagerates sometimes. no worries guys, I don't write on this forum to point fingers, so lets just talk fishin.

Maybe we should have the DNR check the canal and see how many shiners are in a 50 gallon g can. You said you had fifty gallons of shiners, there are alot more than 24 dozen shiners in fifty gallons.

I just found some #'s on minnows per gallon.
2" = 2400 per gallon
2 1/2 = 1200 per gallon
3" = 600 per gallon
So if you got all 3 1/2" shiners at 300 per gallon
300 x 50= 15,000
15000/12= 1250 dozen minnows.
So you either exagerated or you really broke the law and let everybody know about it.

Let's be nice!!

Just don't be wasteful....I think that's the general idea.

Yeah know kidding what is the big ****ing deal. i dont understand why there are people out there that put up such a whining cry about minnows. there minnows for god sake there a dime a dozen. you got a 14 thousand acre lake do the math there you math men how many shiners do you actually got swimming in that ****ing lake. Obvilously some of these people dont have the time or spots to get there bait and have nothing to do but cry about the price they have to pay for 12 ****ing minnows. i guess thats there problem nobody elses. take it easy guys.

Wow, it looks like the language filter is in tip top shape, LOL.

Sloppers-

You caught the mother load of shiners. Good for you. I like catching my own bait when I have the time. Fish caught with bait that you found yourself always taste sweeter.

That said, you did publically state that you caught a massive amount of minnows, more than the law allows with out a license.

Are you surprised that some poeple called you on it?

The Conservation Officer reports on the DNR web page have shown that they will write tickets on this type of thing.

Be careful, CO's do read this page.

SLOPPER i think you might be the one missing the point you kind of brought this upon yourself when you bragged that you seined fifty gallons which now appears to be a exaggeration.under ideal conditions you could have maybe transported a third of that in a fifty gallon barrel with oxygen or a 12 volt aereator.so what if its a 14 thousand acre lake,how many walleyes are in the lake what if everybody else took as many fish as they wanted "they're just fish whats the big deal"? even if there was 8 of you how many of those shiners are actually going to get used. laws and regulations are for everybody regardless of which ones we like or dislike.the guys in the bait buisness have to have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars in licences to harvest wild bait and tens of thousands on equipment to make a living doing this. take what you need and are allowed heck i know its kind of fun seining bait just dont take in excess of what your supposed to.and if you do dont invite trouble for yourself on a public forum. what bothers me isnt the minnows so much as the principle of the whole thing and whats the big deal attitude. good fishing everybody.

[This message has been edited by swampman (edited 05-19-2003).]