• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

thinkin of doing a day trip on saturday and im just wondering if anyone has been on little pine tulibee fishing?? im trying to debate LOTW or a day trip up to Pine, Rush and the surrounding lakes....

kinda want to catch about 400 tulibees!!

thanks for any information!

Tireman -

Smoked tullibees are fantastic! Well worth that heavy smell thay have in the shack.

I took a grocery sack full into Fergus Locker a few years back. They were gilled and gutted. They brined and smoked them for seven bucks.

They were all gone in a few days.

[This message has been edited by Gissert (edited 01-29-2003).]

ohh ya. tulibee's are great smoked. cut off their head and cut their guts out and brine em up over night!! get a batch outta the smoker and they dont last longer than an hour. if you like smoked fish- the tulibee is the BEST smoked fish. really oily so they stay moist and not dry. good flavor too.

i guess i need to clear this up also. what i wan really looking for was information for Perham. like little Pine and Clitherall lakes?? ive fished up there before and im just wondering what time of year those guys start biting?? just lookin for some fast action for saturday!

Gogblon -

Give Clitherall a shot. Right off the access on the north side is a good spot. The break there is very sharp, and you are in 50 feet of water very quickly. Watch your electronics, as they are usually suspended at several different depths.

I suggest being set up at 5am at this site, as the bite has tapered off for me after sun up.

The access on the south east lobe also has some good tullibee action in the deeper waters. Work the point coming out of the east shorline about mile and a half north of the access.

ok thanks alot!! ive actually fished on Clitheral before and i think we fished the south side?? seems like we came off the road and didnt go out too far. thats about all i can remember besides it was DEEP!!

havent decided what to do yet.. we'll see what the weather brings my way!!

i went to clitheral today and was set up by about 7. got 3 crappies that all came in single and 3 tulibees that also all came in SINGLE!!! i dont know what to think. i didnt even read much more fish than that. i lost a couple bee's at the hole, but that was it. maybe ill go back tomorrow earlier and try a little farther out.

went to ottertail after that and fished hard to barely scrounge up maybe 15 perch, nothin to brag about, no big ones and one walleye. the wierd thing was that everyone was sayin you need to be in 35 feet of water, but i got away from the group and set up in 8 feet of water!! ever heard of an eelpout in 8 feet of water?? i also got a 9 pound northern on my NOODLE ROD!! that was a blast!

ohh ya- one quick question.. you say the bite tapered off after sunrise- but did you continue to read fish on your graph on Clitherall??

Gogblon -

The bite would typically taper off after sun up, but there will still be a few that pass through. That 5am bite can be fantastic, but it does not happen every time. In the pre dawn, they seem to run along that breakline just off the north acess on Clitherall. Try them later on in Feb or March and they bite will probably pick up.

We were out on Ottertail on Saturday too. No tulibees, but we were chasing perch. 21 to 38 feet, it really did not seem to matter. We caught fish as fast as we could put the lines down, but not many were over 9 inches.

i fished all over ottertail, and i had a tough time finding the perch. i tried all over the north side, drilling holes with my HAND AUGER!! and finally after my arm was about to fall off, i just fished open holes. finally got off the lake and headed down to the south side and thats where i got all my action. about 2 miles out from graystone or grayrock or whatever the name of that restaurant is..

woulda liked to have a lake map and get out on some of those midlake humps and whatnot and get really by myself. next time i head up there im gonna have to get a lake map and try some new areas.

We were off one of those humps about a mile and a quarter out of Graystone. Not too many houses on that one. More perch than you could shake a stick at, but they just running smaller than I like for filleting purposes. That's ok, we had a ball and the weather was perfect.

There is a little lake right outside of dent that is dynamite for tulibees if you can hit it at the right time. Tentor lake straight out from the access in 50 feet of water can be some of the best tulibee fishing around. There not quite as big as Little Pines tulibees but we found alot better numbers out there last year. You might want to try deep, last year we caught them at all depths but many were running 10 feet off the bottom, its a rush to reel those fiesty critters up 40 feet. I havent been out there this year but its worth a try. Let me know how ya did. TC

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 02-04-2003).]

ya i was out sunday morning. i started out on the north end by the landing and then went and tried the south end for a little while. on the north end is where i got the 3 bee's and 3 crappies, the crappies came in suspended at all depths, anywhere from about 8 feet to about 30 feet down. the few tulibees i saw on the flasher came in at about 10-15 feet down. on the south end i didnt mark any fish besides right on the bottom there in about 40 feet of water, and whatever they were they sure didnt like it when i dropped my jig down there- they would take off fast.