Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Team Otter

Mid-August trip

Team Otter

My dad and I will be coming up to LOW for a weekend the middle of August. We are thinking of staying in the Long Point area.<P>What do you guys recommend for catching walleyes during this particular time of year?<P>I was thinking of deep cranks or deep spinners and crawlers. Is this a good start? Does anyone try and pull cranks up on the sand in front of Long Point in shallower water?<P>Any info would be appreciated. I will certainly report our results upon returning.

curt quesnell

Hi Team Otter<P>Deep water and rock piles rule the day<BR>in August. There may be some fish in close<BR>but the real action is on and adjacent to <BR>rocks and mud bottomed deep water.<P>Cranks first, spinners second in the mud.<P>Jigs or spinners or bobbers on the rocks<P>Good Luck<BR><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Team Otter

Curt, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information.<P>When pulling cranks, is it typically longlining or behind boards?<P>Do you guys use big cranks (reef runners, etc) or smaller baits with leadcore?<P>How much line are you guys letting out to get down deep? 150 - 200'?

Old Guide

team otter, put a leader on and pull some large cranks over and around those piles curt talked about. Have fun!

srj

Otter, I've been using fireline and small deepdivers for water 25-32' and size 30 jet divers and small cranks or even spinner rigs for the deeper stuff. On L-O-W I seem to do much better with smaller cranks. Last year lots of fish stayed fairly nearshore out from the gap--less than 30 feet. They haven't been there yet this year but as of last weekend there were still lots of fish shallow.<BR>

Old Guide

team otter, sorry I forgot to mention this is for the big "jacks" that hang around those reefs.

Team Otter

SRJ, how much line are you letting out on the smaller cranks? Also, how much line are you letting out with your Jet Divers? I have experience with both but I'm just curious.<P>Thanks again guys. Hopefully my dad and I can put it together.<P>

srj

Otter, on LOW I usually use a 1/2 oz Luhr Jensen Hot Lips. 90 feet to get down 28. At 120 it's down 32-33. The 3/4 oz will run considerably deeper but it seems to get bit less. I run a Jet 30 with anywhere from 90 to 140 feet out. Usually a #5 or #7 shadrap behind it. I normally don't pull cranks if I can get bit on the rocks but late August/Sept I have have lots of trouble finding fish on the reefs. I use 10 fireline on the Hotlips and 14 or 17 with the Jetdivers. What do you use?

Team Otter

I typically pull cranks with 10 lb Fireline.<P>On the smaller cranks, I generally run them behind boards anywhere from 80 - 120 feet back. I can only seem to get mine down to about 25' though at 1.8 mph.<P>I love using the jet divers. I use both the "20" and "30". I generally let them out 150 feet and the "20" usually gets to 20' and the "30" usually gets to between 27 - 29'.<P>Live bait is always my first option too, but I always like to have the crankbait option in my arsenal.<P>Great information guys. The anticipation is definitely there.

srj

Otter, what do pull behind the jets on LOW? When running straight to the bait, if you want to get below the 30' mark check out those Hotlips. They usually need to be tuned before using but they are the deepest running small profile crank I have found. Luhr-Jensen has some interesting info on their website too. Including running depths although I don't usually get the same numbers they do but it's in the ballpark. I'll be pulling baits for a while this weekend while heading across Big Traverse.

Team Otter

Behind the jets, I usually use stick baits, such as various sizes of Rapala original floating minnows, etc. I like to use between a 4 - 6' leader behind the jet. Anything longer than that and it gets fairly difficult to net a fish.

Team Otter

Well, my dad and I will up on "the big pond" this weekend.<P>We are thinking of heading out from the Gap area and do some bait-fishing to start with and go from there.<P>Anybody have any thoughts as to what may or may not be "hot" this weekend?

curt quesnell

Otter,<P>Check the Recent Reports thread, it has<BR>the info you are looking for.<P>Maybe we will see you up there<P><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Team Otter

Thanks Curt.<P>Are Twin Islands right out to the left of Long Point Resort?<P>Which area would you concentrate your efforts on? The Gap or the Long Point area?<P>Thanks for the help.<P>It looks like the weather is going to cooperate at least for Saturday!!

curt quesnell

Otter,<P>I am sure we will be near Twin Islands. Much<BR>bigger fish are in that area along with good<BR>numbers of small to medium sized fish.<P>Along Pine should be good also. In a few<BR>weeks all of my fishing will be out from<BR>Pine Island so this is a good change of <BR>scenery and a great shot at HUUUGGGGEEE<BR>fish.<P>Good Luck<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio