• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LOTW Miles Bay report July 3-10

We got a houseboat and fished up in Miles by Thompson Creek and Horshoe Island. Man, Horshoe is on fire for walleye right now. It was epic. We got solid limits every day off that island. We caught fish elsewhere in the lake, but the size was not like that of horshoe. The smallies were on the beds and they are huge. The ticket for the smallmouth was a red rattle trap or a Super Zara Spook, depending on how the weather was. The walleyes came on bettle spins in about 10-15 feet of water. Tons of suspended fish, but could not get them to go trolling. The muskies were a bit tough, we got a few, one on topwater, which was awesome !!! The industrial flush from beyond !!!! The northerns were not around, we caught a few, and the ones we got were out of the slot so it is nice to see that many good sized fish. We did not get any crappie. Watch out for the gillnets that the indians set up. They are everywhere and they do not mark them. We got more than our share in our motors and trolling motors. The indians will also watch where you catch fish and after you leave, the will set their nets up. It is really too bad they allow that up there. The mayflies were really thick too ; they do not taste good while doing 40 mph in a boat !

Sounds like you had a great trip! Are you sure about the Natives and their unmarked nets? Every net I've seen has been marked.. Wouldn't it be illegal for them to do this? Anyways congrats on the trip and welcome to fishingminnesota!<P>FF

Thanks for the report...good to hear the walleyes are doing well in Miles Bay. I do find it odd that the natives would have to watch where the tourists fish to know where to set their nets.

Ya I found it really odd that the nets were not marked my anything at all. They were utilizing the gill nets with the floats that long egg shaped and lie even with the surface of the water. You do not see them until you are already in the net or upon it. Why do they do this ? We had a real nice spot where our houseboat was located. We would catch walleye real quick on either side of the points adjacent to the houseboat. I noticed that when I was catching fish, mostly small 8-15 inch walleye, that the indians were just sitting there watching me. I thought they were taking a break, but when we came in at the end of the day, I noticed mass pelicans around the area I was fishing. So I slowed the boat down and sure enough, 2 gill nets , one on each point. You always know where the indians are as the pelicans fly overhead on the way to their fishing spots. We also saw discarded gillnets up against the shoreline too. The would stand to make more money off tourism than that of gillnetting. And they would not be killing fish that cannot be sold either. Just my .02 worth

Yeah I agree with you there muskyman, it's their right to net and I don't dispute that, but they could do it in a better way where they don't need to waste what they dont use. Wouldn't trap nets be a better option? I guess I'll have to pull out my copy of "A Time to Fish and a Time to Dry Nets" and do a bit of research. In the meantime, if anyone could fill in a bit, that would take some reading off my hands. wink.gif Happy fishing!<P>FF <BR><p>[This message has been edited by fishingfrenzy (edited 07-21-2004).]

It was good fishing for us too last weekend. It was actually monday the 19th we were out and we did not have to go far out the Morson area to get them. Couldnt ask for a nicer day. It was hot and so was the action. A few 26 inchers went back and a 27 inch ( walleyes ) and some eaters too. Finally a nice breeze out of the north came in and that felt good cuz early in the day it was almost like glass out there and it was hot. I didnt see any nets but I know what you are saying and to tell you the truth that is what some depend on for income up there. All that fish they catch is sold to us americans. Yep most of it goes to the U.S and some is sold locally. Come to think of it if you are a non resident and you fish up there your limit is only 2 fish (walleyes) per day and the resident limit is 4 but still fishing was great out on the reefs. Most were caught on jigs with minnows, a few caught on a Gulp and a few caught casting shad raps over the same reefs. brought in nicer fish were the ones caught on plugs it seemed more consistant anyway. Dont know when I will get up there again but in the meantime good luck fishing! Brian