• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Pine/Little Pine slot limit enacted

I'm only seventeen years old, my grandparents grew up there since the forties, we have the cabin on top of the hill across the lake from Grand View Heights. Did the lake need the slot? Everyone has there opinion but can you name a lake where the slot hasn't helped the lake? I can't. Do I have a problem with taking a limit? No i don't. Do I have a problem with fishing for three days and coming home with 18? Yes, In all reality to we really need to take your six fish everytime? We're a family of four and with rice, a vegetable, a salad, 4 16 inch fish will suffice just fine. Would you rather see the limit drop to four and no slot? No matter which way we go, there will be complainers on both sides. I'm starting my own guide service and with the few clients i have, I find that if you can relate with them on a personal basis, tell them old stories about how your grandfather pushed someones house off the mudhole by Gucks, re-augered they're holes and put his house on it, if you make it fun the fish will take care of themselves, im not trying to sound like the stereotypical crack a beer and wait, i'm just like the rest, there are days I can make the ice look like swiss cheese, sometimes though you need to turn the auger off and listen to the ice rumble, if your lucky watch the pressure ridge form out on Squaw point. There is a whole lot more than catching your limit. There are plenty of places on Pine to catch your little ones, if you want eaters, try the clam bed, the red cabin. You want Big fish try the outlet, or Bill's bar or where they net whitefish. It's a big lake you can find big fish and little fish. I think we can all come to that understanding.
Best Fishes
Chris

Yes, the lake needed a slot limit. So do other lakes around the area including Ottertail! I believe that was the question in the garbage that you wrote right? About the slot limit..

I am an out of stater (South Dakota) who has spend 1-2 weeks per summer for the last 20+ years up at Ottertail. Some weeks we have had great fishing, and some haven't been so good. One thing has been fairly consistent, the lack of really big fish. (I'm no pro, and I know they are out there, but I thought even I should have stumbled across one at some point). At any rate, we catch just enough for a one time fish fry and release the rest. It's never been about "filling a limit". I too would be in favor of a slot limit on OT. I can think of no reason it would not benefit that Lake. Tourism would not be hurt a bit. I am willing to bet that with a slot limit you would get 99% of the regular tourists back each year anyhow, plus have a bigger walleye producing lake.

[This message has been edited by HOF#13 (edited 01-07-2004).]

I would disagree with this,just ask the people on mill lacs,they are really struggling with this. The resorts are loosing business and the people don't want to go there like they used to. I really beleive the adverage fisher person lets go what they should.

Just my 2 cents

THE PINES ARE TWO GREAT WALLEYE PRODUCING LAKES THE SLOT WILL DO NOTHING BUT ENHANCE THIS. I DO HOWEVER FEEL THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN MIN. LENGTH AS WELL. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO PRACTICE RESTRAINANT AND RELEASE THOSE FISH THAT ARE UNDER 13 OR 14 IN AND WE AS WELL AS THE NEXT GENERATION WILL HAVE GOOD FISHING.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.