Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

zeek    0
zeek

I believe the DNR stocked some sturgeon from Rainy River in the Red River a couple of years ago. So it may be possible that a little one has worked its way up the Ottertail river somehow.

Cool find! It doesn't hurt to contact the DNR about it.

I don't think it's possible the Sturgeon came from the Red River to Otter Tail River....there is a huge dam in Downtown Fergus Falls that would stop that migration....and the Orwell dam system.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 07-09-2002).]

Gissert    17
Gissert

Cool catch on the sturgeon! The DNR has begun to stock these fish on Ottertail. I think this was the first year. Was the fish tagged? Where did you catch it?

I should be interesting to see how they migrate, if they can. There are a lot of obstacles down stream of Otter Tail lake.

There is the small water control structure on the outlet of Otter Tail, Phelps Mill Dam, Friberg Dam, Diversion Dam, and the Ottertail Power Dam, Central and Pisgah dams in Fergus, Dayton Hollow Dam, and finally Orwell Dam.

They should be able to get into Walker Lake.

Are there any blocking structures keeping them from getting to Dead and Rush lakes?

fishlakeman    4
fishlakeman

It didn't have a tag. I caught it near the Pier restaurant off of Hw 78 in 10 feet.

fishlakeman    4
fishlakeman

When I was fishing last weekend on OtterTail Lake I caught a 13 inch sturgeon. I'm 100% positive it was a sturgeon. Has anyone else caught one, or even heard of their existence in the lake? I'm wondering if I should contact the DNR?

fishlakeman    4
fishlakeman

I contacted the DNR and they said they stocked them in the otter tail river. The last year they stocked them was in 1998. They didn't say anything about stocking Otter Tail lake, but I heard they stocked it this year from a few people.

Paul Rohweller    0
Paul Rohweller

Congrats on the sturgeon! Maybe our grandkids will see the full return of these creatures to their native waterways. If they're in ottertail then they should be able to make their way up to rush and big and little pine lakes. I dont think the elevation dams are going to slow them down. Somewhere in the family archives there is a picture of my grandfather with a sturgeon caught on the ottertail river near foxhome. The fish is strung between two workhorses and the tail is touching the ground. As of right now I'm not sure if its a good thing that they are coming back. My reasons being that lakes can only support so many pounds of fish per acre be it walleyes, carp or sturgeon. How do the rest of you feel about it? Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Gissert    17
Gissert

Paul -

In the case of sturgeon in Otter Tail, I think it is good. They mature so slowly that I doubt that they will be very prolific.

I think it would be fun to have a chance to tie into a big one through the ice a few years down the road.

I read somewhere this spring in the star trib that when they released the selected slot limit for pike in the 20 inch mininum for next year on ottertail that they were thinking of stocking sturgeon in the ottertail river system, including ottertail lake!!! so maybe they are or have been stocking them with out saying anything!! like they did with muskies in other lakes!!!