Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
fishermatt

DANGEROUS CRACK ON OTTERTAIL!!

fishermatt

Be VERY careful if driving on Ottertail lake if you go west from either the Hwy 78 access or Riveria Ranch access. There's a BAD crack that runs almost all the way across the lake. I drove across it going west last night, and I dropped about a foot when I went over it. There's no way a truck could get back over it going east without damage or getting wet! I had to follow it almost to the south shore before I could get around it. If you go on at the Hwy 78 access, then follow close to shore going south, you can go around it and be safe. There's still quite a bit of ice, but be careful!!

Gissert

Yikes! I bet that ratcheted up the 'ol pucker factor.

How is the gerneral condition/thickness of the ice? Gonna hit the west end tomorrow.

fishermatt

Gissert,
I'd say the ice is still at least 18-20" thick, and looks pretty good. It's really slippery though, especially when it's warm enough for there to be a little water on top.
good luck!

fishermatt

Hey Gissert,
How did you do Saturday? We had a good time on Saturday, 8 of us made it out, we kept 4 walleyes, threw back a few dinky ones, and kept about 15 perch. What a beautiful day to end the walleye season! We kept clear of that big crack to minimize the "pucker factor" and have a relaxing day!

Gissert

fishermatt -

We really got into the perch, but they were running small again. Covered a couple spots, fishing from 10 feet down to 45. Fish were at all depths, but I spent the most time in about 22 feet. We kept nine, and released a bunch more in the six inch range. No walleyes at all, which is odd.

It was a great day to be out on the ice on Saturday, I bet it was a real joy out there yesterday in that wind.

There is a pretty good crack right off shore at Graystone, but we paralleled the beach for a hundred yards, and then turned out. Ice still looked great on Saturday, 20 inches everywhere we went. Lots of permanant shacks coming off, and nobody came within a half mile of us.

I hope this weather cools off again so I can get at some of the late perch action.

fishermatt

Thanks for the reply Gissert,
We tried 3 different spots for perch, and didn't get very many on any of them. Were you on steep breaks? I tried to find more gradual breaks, but maybe that's not the plan for perch. We fished on 2 humps and 1 shoreline spot, but didn't get much for numbers, even small.

Gissert

fishermatt -

We were on the second circular hump out from Graystone. (about 1 1/2 miles or so)the map shows it is 19 feet on top, but is actually about 10 feet. It breaks to the south and to the west into 40 feet fairly gradually. We had fish there, but they were sporadic. That is usually a good spot for me for perch with walleyes mixed in.

We moved to a spot about .4 miles north of there, and started fishing off the end of a shallow flat. Again the map shows it topping out at 10 feet, but it is actualy closer to 5. There is a point on the north side of that that drops from 15 to 50 feet in about 75 yards. We fished that break the rest of the day, and that is where our numbers came from. The break is so steep in the 22 foot spot I was on that my jig would disappear on my vex three feet before it actually hit bottom. I worked the heck out of that area three weeks ago and caught many perch then, but they were small.

fishermatt

Gissert,
Thanks again for the info. You're brave to be so specific!! Be careful or you'll have half the twin cities following you around ;-)
Don't know if I'll get back out to OT this winter, I'm dying for a sunfish sandwich, so I'll probably be hitting Star, West Lost, or Dead to try and get into some panfish.
Good Luck!!

Gissert

fishermatt -

LOL! I did not give away my favorite spots that are not on the map! That flat is a big one, and has many points and turns that are un marked. I just wish I had more time to do some exploring.

fishermatt

That's good Gissert!
Those spots that aren't on the map are the best anyway!! I hear you on the time for exploring. A guy needs to take part of a trip sometimes and just commit to exploring. You never know what you'll stumble into. It seems like the more you stumble around on the lake the better things you stumble into!!

Paul Rohweller

I've done the just go exploring thing on ottertail more than once! I find it to be an eye opener. Some things arent the way you always pictured or like any map, most of the good spots arent on any maps. They just dont show the details.. If you really want to mess with your mind get the lakemaster software and get that straightened out. I was so mad at it last season I didnt look at it for a couple months. Looking back its probably more right than I was. lolol Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Gissert

Paul -

I have the Lakemaster software. I like it a lot. It gets me close to where I want to be, and then I can go from there. it saves a lot of time. I have only used it on the west end so far.

Sure beats the old way I used to use. I had a Fishing Hot Spots map that I drew lat/lon grids on. That was pretty tough to do, as there is only one reference spot on the map. I had to start there, and then make some conversions off of a USGS 1:24000 scale topo map. After I had the grids drawn, I could place a spot in my GPS. It worked quite well, but was time consuming and tedious. The Lakemaster software makes it a lot easier.

fishermatt

I've got Lakemaster also, and it's gotten me on some spots and got me confused on others. The whole GPS thing is good and bad if you ask me. When there was no GPS, it was a lot harder for the average guy to figure out how to get back on a spot (his or mine!!). But now with GPS, the whole lake is up for grabs. There's no more lining up someone's boat house with the Pine tree in their yard, or the TV tower over a yellow house with the brick chimney. That's when it took real skill to find the spots! GPS makes it a lot easier to remember a lot more spots though, so it's good for a guy like me. I have a great memory, it's just really short! You either have to embrace the new technology and learn to use it to your advantage, or fall behind.

Paul Rohweller

When they tore down the tower on amor point it screwed up alot of people , myself included. I was just making the conversion from landmarking to gps. Now with the gps I have my old haunts and I dont have to hunt until the fog clears. problem is now I've got too many places to remember, I just cant fish them all in a day or a week. I will probably use the lakemaster more to see where I've been instead of where I'm going.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Rick
      The commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has appointed 11 Minnesotans to three-year terms on citizen oversight committees that monitor the agency’s fish and wildlife spending.  The appointees are responsible for reviewing the DNR’s annual Game and Fish Fund report in detail and, following discussions with agency leaders and others, prepare reports on their findings. Appointed to the Wildlife Oversight Committee are Garry Hooghkirk, Duluth; Amanda Leabo, Fergus Falls; Mark Popovich, Welch; John Schnedler, Richfield; and Martha Taggett, Golden Valley. Appointed to the Fisheries Oversight Committee are Karl Anderson, Greenbush; Jess Edberg, Ely; Nicole Hertel, Shoreview; Benjamin Kohn, Hudson; Mark Owens, Austin; and Craig Pagel, Duluth. The new appointees join other members whose terms are continuing. The committees will resume work after the mid-December publication of the DNR’s Game and Fish Fund report for fiscal year 2017. “We look forward to working with these citizens,” said Dave Schad, DNR deputy commissioner. “The appointments continue our commitment to share detailed budget information, bring new participants into the oversight process and ensure revenue generated by hunting and fishing license sales is used appropriately.” The Fisheries and Wildlife oversight committees continue a citizen oversight function first created in 1994. Sixty people applied for oversight committee positions this time. Factors in choosing the new appointees included geographic distribution, demographic diversity and a mix of interests. In the weeks ahead, committee chairs and four members will be selected by each committee to serve on an umbrella Budgetary Oversight Committee chaired by another appointee, John Lenczewski. The committee will develop an overall report on expenditures for game and fish activities. Those recommendations will be delivered to the DNR commissioner and legislative committees with jurisdiction over natural resources financing for further consideration. Minnesota’s Game and Fish Fund is the fiscal foundation for much of the state’s core natural resource management functions. About $110 million a year is deposited into this fund from hunting and fishing license sales, a sales tax on lottery tickets, and other sources of revenue including a reimbursement based on a federal excise tax on certain hunting, fishing and boating equipment. Past DNR Game and Fish Fund expenditure reports and citizen oversight committee reports are also available at mndnr.gov/gamefishoversight. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Conservation grants awarded by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will help restore, enhance and protect habitat throughout the state.  This latest round of 73 conservation grants is funded by the agency’s Conservation Partners Legacy (CPL) grant program. Now in its ninth year, the program has awarded over $50 million to nonprofit organizations and government entities for conservation projects. The DNR recently received $9.9 million in grant requests from 86 applicants during round one of the application cycle. The DNR has funded $7.5 million of these requests. “Projects include habitat improvements that benefit deer, turkey, pheasants and a wide variety of species,” said Jessica Lee, DNR conservation grants coordinator. “Oak savanna, wetlands and pollinator habitat are restored through this grant program, to give a few examples.” Conservation groups and others interested in applying in the future are encouraged to plan in the coming months so they can apply when funds are again available. The DNR’s CPL program provides grants ranging from $5,000 to $400,000 to conservation nonprofit organizations and government to help fund projects to restore, enhance or protect fish and wildlife habitat in Minnesota. The Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Council recommended the grant program, which was approved by the Minnesota Legislature and has been in place since 2009. Funding has been provided annually from the Outdoor Heritage Fund, which is part of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment and funded by a voter-approved statewide sales tax of three-eighths of 1 percent. Round one of the proposals for fiscal year 2017 included the traditional grant cycle, the metro grant cycle and the expedited grant cycle. The expedited cycle for standard types of projects is currently open for another funding round, with the maximum grant award being $50,000. Applications are due online by 4 p.m. Friday, Jan. 19. More information on the program’s grant cycles, and a complete list of the most recent grant applications and past awarded projects are on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cpl. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Sherburne County Geologic Atlas-Part B was recently published by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Part B covers groundwater conditions and sensitivity to pollution. It expands on Part A, the geology atlas previously published by the Minnesota Geological Survey. The atlases are a valuable resource for groundwater management and land-use planning. Sherburne County is characterized by sandy surface and subsurface conditions. This type of geology creates extensive and productive aquifers that are relatively sensitive to pollution. In addition to maps of pollution sensitivity, groundwater chemistry data are shown, highlighting areas with elevated concentrations of chloride and nitrate. The deeper bedrock aquifers of the eastern part of the county are less sensitive to pollution. The atlas can be acquired through the following sources: Online: PDFs of the report and maps, GIS files and program information are available by searching “Sherburne County Geologic Atlas, Part B.” The GIS folder includes GIS files and associated metadata for the water table, wells, and maps for groundwater flow and pollution sensitivity. The ArcMap file displays the data as shown on the published maps and includes hyperlinks to image files of the published cross sections. Paper copies: Part A and B atlases can be purchased from Minnesota Geological Survey Map Sales, 612-626-2969. Prices for each atlas package range from $12–$15. County geologic atlases provide geologic and hydrogeologic information to support regional planning and water resource management and protection. Partial funding for this project was provided by the Clean Water Fund and the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • IceHawk
      Good Advice Don . You are correct there was a wheeler on Horseshoe back by Krons bay.  Saw him Sunday when I was out on the ice. How he didn't go through is hard to believe.  The chain  is very spotty at best. Finding areas of open water to 4 1/2 5  inches tops. A lot of guys r pushing the envelope out there on Sunday there was at least 10 guys out on mud and the ice is 3-3 1/2 inches thick in that area, also saw a group out near Camerons Island, A lot of these areas were completely open on Thursday so be very very cautious. Tom is right you could see the different shades of freeze up before this snow now its a guessing game. Remember u put others at risk that have to try and rescue you if you break through so use common sense. On a side note there is a pocket of open water on the N end of Big, swans are keeping it open and it just froze over yesterday in front of the golf course on Schneider.  Shaumans bay has 5-6 inches on Rice main lake 2-3 inches.  Koronis is still open was fishing in the boat two weeks ago out there so it may be a while for that beast!
    • eyeguy 54
      can hardly see 3 pound test and tie on the 3mm let alone 1.5 mm and 3/4 pound test. yowzer!
    • leech~~
      Not really, I had that shock a year or so ago when I went out for a day fishing with a Ice Tournament guy. His rods had very light ends, as in you could almost blow on them and they would move. He bought them all on-line for some good cash $80-$100 each. But he did have on all his rods that little cheap in-line reels with like 1-2 lb line on them all! I had to actually borough one of his rods and reels just to keep up with him!
    • eyeguy 54
      zapped HT a note to see if the rod is available anywhere with bigger guides. Nope. 
    • iiccee63
      Sunday am. 3 inches of ice 12/9 with people fishing a few hundred yards out towards the west shore.
    • iiccee63
      Let me rephrase the topic.... Am looking for current ice conditions on this lake. Well aware how things were weeks ago. Any info on current conditions would be appreciated. Thanks
    • Lotharski
      Thanks for the report, Chill!  I went out for a few hours Saturday afternoon and set up on the first break in about 15 fow.  I had the camera down and only saw pike.  Not one gill or eye...  I had 7-7.5" ice where I checked.