• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, it's about that time again for the game fish to end and the "other season" to start. In preparation for this, I thought it might be nice to share some thoughts on where you catch your tullibees. If anyone hasn't ever tried this, you must. Not only can it be a great time....lots of fish and great weather, but tullibee smoked is one of the greatest fish ever. You just have to get past their oily, stinky smell sometimes.

One of my favorite places is Little Pine. Weather restricted me last year, but they were there, I wasn't.
Another pretty good lake is Long Lake by Vergas. I often wonder about Rose Lake too. Just never fish it.
I've heard Pelican can be good as can Sallie. Also heard Buffalo has quite a few as well. Anyone else with some good lakes?
I mostly fish drop lines off spoons but does anyone else have any secrets?

Clitherall is where I usually go. Right off the north access is good, as is off the sharp point on the west side. I use the same methods that you described. Best hours here have been about an hour and a half before sunrise untill just after full daylight.

I have caught many tullibees in the west basin of Ottertail, but they were always incidentals to walleye/perch fishing.

When I was in high shcool, we used to spear quite a few in the dark house on Stalker. That was a lot of fun, you had to be really quick with the spear. This lake might be a good sleeper for tullibees. I know the old timers used to net the west end in the fall.

Pickeral is popular, but I have not fished that one.

Here's a recipe you should try. Fillet ciscoes (tullibee in Minnesotan) and place 3 or 4 fillets in heavyweight aluminum foil. Add a couple gobs of butter, some lemon juice (not too much), salt & pepper, two slices onion, and top with ketchup. Seal the foil to retain heat & steam, put on Coleman stove for 6 to 9 minutes. Open foil and enjoy -- it's the ultimate ice lunch (or shorelunch).

Incidentally, if what someone posted elsewhere is true -- that you cannot clean and prepare fish on the ice, then I'm in potential trouble. (I leave no trace of my cleaning or eating practices.)

Hammer em Tullibee fishing om star isnt too bad. they are getting bigger too.Go down beaver dam road off 108. Go past public access about a quarter mi.hike out about 300yrds. Getim 25 to 30 ft of water just before daylight.Your method is good on star. good luck woody.

• 2 weeks later...