• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out there this week? I went to Mille Lacs this past weekend and don't have anything to report about Otter Tail. I will tell you to go to Mille Lacs if you have the time. WOW!!!! It was fantastic. Keep me updated on the fishing. Either going to Lida or Otter Tail this weekend.

Sounds like things haven't changed too much. I did find one perch 12 inches out there. Got it in 8 feet of water! But most of my nice perch came out of 18-20. I didn't slide any deeper than that.

Yep, 18-20 was where I spent 95% of my time last weekend.

I got into some really nice perch the last weekend of December, but they were mixed in with the walleyes at 28 feet. That spot was a bust last weekend, but it usually peters out after the first of the year.

Sooner or later the big perch will show up again. it will just take some time to find where they are.

I am hoping March will be good again.

Hammer 'em

I fished the west end last Saturday. Found perch every where I tried, anywhere from seven feet down to 44. I was away from the shanty villages by at least 1/3 mile in every spot I was on. Caught a lot of perch, but nothing bigger that 8 inches. I just could not find a bigger batch of them.

I had to quit about 5 pm, so I can't vouch for the evening walleye bite.

Ice thickness ran 17 to 19 inches where I was.

Hey Gissert,

do you go onto OT from Greystone or Amor Park? I was thinking about hitting a spot on that side and wondering how the access is? I usually go on from Riveria Ranch, that's closest to my house. It's not bad there right now. A car would have to be careful though.

fishermatt -

I go out on Graystone, as I live on South Turtle, and that is closest to my place. The ice on that end is in great shape. Smooth, and I have not seen any pressure ridges out from Graystone.

The access is pretty fair this year, but a truck with some ground clearance is necessary due to the sand ruts. 2WD will probably get you on and off ok there.

Amor Point is usually a little steeper, and coming off the lake you have to clear the hump/hill, so 4WD is a good idea there. I have not seen the Amor access this year myself.

Good Luck!

Hey Hammer-em help me out with Mille Lacs please..going there this week. Where did u enter the lake? Did u catch em on jigging spoons? Did u make it out to the flats? Im kind of new to Mille Lacs and any info at all for a starting point would be absolutely great! Thanks

James,
Go off the north shore. Red Door Resort. This is just about in the city of Wealthwood. $7.00 access fee. Than, the lake is yours. You can drive anywhere you want but I would suggest a 4 wheel drive truck. There are some nice drifts. No pressure ridges out from shore on the north side. Avoid Garrison area. There are several there.

If you have GPS, I would stop in at a Bait shop, Garrison Bait is pretty good, and write down some GPS coordinates for some of the flats. Than, just drive around til you find one with few or no one on. We fished at the top of the flats in the low light periods, and slid off them to the bottoms during mid day for perch and an occasional walleye. Wax worms for the perch, and fatheads for the eyes. We used jigging spoons (Kastmasters and Pimples. ) Also set lines. Use glow pink jigs and a fathead or shinner. They liked gold or glow white for the jigging spoons.
Hope this helps. The biggest key for us was to cut a ton of holes and keep moving. The weather was nice so we just stood outside, but did get plenty of fish in the house. Good luck and remember the slot!!!!

Fished OT again this weekend. Fishing was a little slower than the last time I was out. Between 3 of us we got 7 walleyes. All about 16-17 inches. Nice fish. And about 10-15 little ones. Marked plenty more, but guessing they were small as well. The bite is really getting light, so use smaller baits. Perch are still going great guns. Still running 18-22 feet of water. Get away from everyone. There was one house from me within a 1/2 mile.

went out from Amor Park access, it is steep but with 4wd it's OK. got 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. Nothing over 18 inches, but all nice eaters (2 snapped lines). shiners worked, jigs worked also. only got 4 perch. There's a BAD pressure ridge running across the lake from amor point to the south west.

Gissert,

The ridge ran as far out as I could see, I think it goes all the way across from Amor point to somewhere on the south shore east of Balmoral.