• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the skinny on Otter Tail? I'm looking to take a couple of my friends out there this weekend maybe, and am wondering about ice conditions, and the fishing? Suppose the walleyes will be on edges of flats, but how about the perch. Would love to get a few of those tasty morsels.
Let me know what you hear or experience later this week. The colder weather hopefull will put some ice on the lake.

I'm not Paul, but I was on Ottertail on Friday and Saturday. The ice is very slippery! If you come, bring Ice cleats. It's really bumpy along the south shore, and really smooth along the north shore. South shore where I fished had 11-12 inches of ice, north shore had about 12-13 inches. I saw 2 pressure ridges, one running out from shore just west of the "A-Frame" bar by the Rivera Ranch access (this one can be crossed fairly easily, and one running south from Amor Point to the south shore. (I didn't try to cross that one, it looks bad).
Four wheeler or car access is OK, I'd be nervous if driving a full size truck. I didn't go West of Amor Point, so I don't know what that end is like.

Thanks Matt,

I didn't mean to exclude all others from posting, but Paul fishes Tail quite a bit and could use his expert advice along with your expert advice. Guess I'm looking to drive with all my friends, so let me know what's up. I like fishing the northeast end. I call it 3 mile flat because it's 3 miles from hwy 78 access. Armor pt. the big point on the west side of the lake?? Thanks,
Hammer
Keep me updated!!!

Thanks for the info matt, Hammer'em it doesnt get any better than that! Have you tried the edge out in front and a little east of the pier for those perch yet? Wife had to work this weekend and little one has a double ear infection so you know what my weekend was like....Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Anytime Hammer.
Amor point is really the only major point on Otter Tail lake, and it's right in the middle of the lake. I consider it to be on the north shore of the lake, as OT lays out from North(east) (OT river inlet) to South(west) (OT river outlet). It's easiest for me to think of Otter Tail running the long way from east to west. I refer to the North shore as the side with Riveria Ranch Access, Viking Resort, the Dead River inlet, and Amor Point. The South shore has the 78 access, the Pier, and Balmoral golf course. That way spots are either on the north shore, south shore, "out in the middle" and east or west of Amor Point. Probably way more details that you care for, but hey, this is a place to share information right? You asked!!

Thanks

You fish Otter Tail much Matt? I wish I could get down there more often. I haven't fished it in the winter, but could only assume fish will be relating to very similar structure.

In the summer, most fish I have found have been 18-30 feet. And of course the 50'+ fish I refuse to go after.(you kill them!) I got a 8lb pike out there last year in 33' pulling a lindy!!! At night, caught several in 6-10' range pulling plugs. Do the walleyes slide up real shallow on the tops of the humps at night in winter too out there? Could you set up on the top edge of one of these flats on the edge of the break and find fish? I have only been fishing weed edges and know OT doesn't support much for weed growth.
Thanks

I generally fish from 15-30 feet on Ottertail, depending on time of year, except when drifting with jigs or trolling plugs. You may find fish on top of a flat in winter, but once they're on top they may be scattered and you won't get very many. You need to find the place where the fish travel from to get to the flat. Most of the fish will use the same entry/exit point to get on top of a flat, and if you can find that point, you'll have a spot you want to keep the "spot GPSers" away from!! If it's weeds you want, look in 11-15 feet on edges of flats. You'll see them on your Vexilar if you pour water on the ice and look at the bottom. inside the weed edge (10 feet) and outside the weed edge (15-18 feet) will hold perch and walleyes. Let us know how you do!

We should all get togather and put some names to the bars and flats out on the tail. Thers grandpas island, amor flats, balmoral flats, cloverleaf, gamefarm hump and a few others but theres a ton of other places that could use a handle so we would all know what were talking about.lol Over the years I've attached names to a few others just to keep it straight in my head where I am out there, since the advent of gps it has only became worse, lot harder keeping track of numbers instead of names. Maybe you guys have or know names of places. lol would make an interesting day... Long live the hans spinner!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Yes, I think that would be a great idea Paul.

Got out there Sunday, no thanks to any of the locals. Didn't get much info from anyone in town. They tried to tell me no one was driving out. Found everyone pretty much driving. 12-15".
Fishing was pretty good. Got lots of perch, and some waldos too. Got most of the walleyes before sundown in about 18' on one of the humps. Couldn't tell you wihich one, because I don't know it's name. Sorry. It's my 3 mile flat!

Good luck.

I was out on OT on Saturday, and fishing sucked! lots of fish (perch) on the FL8, but no biters. We got a couple nice northerns and 1 walleye, not even 1 perch! I think the northerns in the area were making the other fish nervous. I fished on "Bearded Clam Bar" which is the typical 8-9 feet on top and 150 yards across hump in the middle. talked to some other guys on the same hump who got 2 'eyes. 16 inches of ice. Who else was out?

I fished one of the small humps straight out of the pelican access on sun. and for 3 of us caught 3 small eyes 13" or less and about 20 pearch, fished in 30'-35' the guy who had his house on the top said it was dead at there at 23', dont they ever grow up out there?!

I think a few of them survive to actual keeper size. Many, many fish get cropped off at that magical 13 inch mark. Sad. From what the fisheries boys told me a couple years back there is a shortage of the right sized food to grow the good numbers of 3 to 4 lb fish. They're there but a little tougher to find. I would really like to see a 15 inch minimum voulantary C&R on this lake. Just to get the awareness up a bit. I should be down that way this weekend, I need to get out and away from these little lakes. lolol Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

I FINALLY got a limit on OT last night. I found a spot I had marked on my GPS that nobody had fished yet (no easy task) fished for 1/2 hour 5:00-5:30 got nothing. Moved to a tiny 25 foot hump (with 1 fish house on it) and got my 6 walleyes from 5:45-6:45. Got 3 on the tip up, and 3 jigging.

Paul,

I have been thinking about what you said regarding not enough feed. Isn't there a large quantity of tullibee's in the lake? I also know there are alot of perch in there too. Is there too much competition for the smaller perch? From what I could see, the problem lies more in the anglers cropping.
Keep the reports coming. I appreciate all the info.

I belive it was the perch numbers that were down. Like you I think the cropping off of the smaller eyes is more of a problem. Not to rush spring and summer fishing but has anyone ever played around with open water trolling for suspended walleyes on the tail? Theres gotta be a population of roamers in there someplace. I have tried some but havent been able to commit a full weekend to just working on that bite. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

fishmatt, minneman -

SHhhhhhhhh!!!!! LOL!

I know EXACTLY the spot you are talking about. I plan on being there Saturday.

Sorry Minneman, I don't know what color it was, as it was dark out when I got there. I do know it was the only fish house within at least 20 feet of where I was fishing. I usually look for specific names on the fish house before I fish someplace ( like A. Linder, or B. Winkelmen, G. Roach etc.) but in this case I was actually following my GPS (Goto People's Spots). If it was your fish house, you weren't there, and you missed a good bite! By the way, I drive a Blaze Orange 68 VW beetle on top of a 3/4 ton Chevy Frame. You can't miss me on the lake!

Paul,

Ive often thought the same thing. This Christams I was nicely outfitted with a couple of rods/counter reels for lead lining and I also picked up a couple of down riggers for trying just that, because you know theve gotta be out there, the only problem will be keeping the big slimy pike off while chasing those deep eyes.

I have caught eyes there down to 57 ft but that was on structure. I'm thinking about an open water suspended in 20 to 30 ft over 72 ft. I dont mind going toe to toe with those ottertail northerns, they're not plentiful but they sure are nice! I guess a guys just got to go try it, who knows, there might be a state record to be had? Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Paul,

You ever fish Tullibee out there?? If so, where would you suggest. I think you know where this question is leading.

Hammer

Hey Gissert,
Missed you out there on Saturday! You must've been thinking about that OTHER hump! How'd you do? Got 11 'eyes on mine, biggest was 18 inches. My drivers license # is Q-504-Z93-238-L47 in case anyone is looking for me! Don't you hate this new law that doesn't require a NAME on the fish house!! Now I have to call the DMV just to figure out where I want to fish! How did everyone else do?

Sorry guys, I didnt get to ottertail this weekend I was on big pine, fished a smaller 18 foot hump last night and picked up 8 eyes from 2.5 lbs down to microbite sized. 3 soso pike and one eelpout, I threw them all back so they're still in there! The bite was really light and started about 5 pm and lasted about an hour. Think glow pink! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

fishermatt -

LOL! I was out on my hump, but the sole fish house that was there is gone! Fish were there, but not very agressive.

I moved to a spot on a line between Graystone and Amor point, and the perch were on a feeding binge, but they were running on the smallish side. Poked holes all over from 7 feet down to 45 feet, but the perch were all running about 7 inches long. Spent the most time in about 19 feet. Had a ball, though. I must caught and released sixty of them buggers. Nobody else within 1/3 to 1/2 mile of me.

Wanted to stay later, but I had prior plans so I bailed at 5 pm.

I have picked up tullibees frequently on Ottertail, but have never targeted them.

Clitherall has been a good lake for tullibees for me in the past.

That wasn't quite what I was trying to get at. You have any idea of where the tullibee are in Ottertail? If so, this is where you want to pull plugs. I would suppose the deep holes northeast of Amor point? Guess I haven't looked for suspended fish out there.

Oh, I understand now.

Well, I have caught them pretty much everywhere over the deep flats on the west end. I have not fished east of Amor point all that much.

I marked a lot of suspended fish last weekend that I am assuming to be tulibees on the west basin. Never did hook up with any, but they behaved in the same fashion as to tulibees that I have caught in the past. After the walleye season closes, I plan on trying to fish for tulibees specifically.

Some of those deep flats on the west side may be a good spot to look in the summer, as well.

Paul -

How deep is the thermocline on Ottertail in the summer?

Ottertail thermoclines? lolol I have only came over a few scattered patches of what appears to be thermocline on the tail. For the most part ottertail doesn't thermocline between the river currents and the never ending wind I think it stays mixed up pretty good. If you want to see a lake layer up look at pickerel lake after a week of hot weather and no wind, that can be nasty but it drives the walleyes really shallow and kills off the tulibees enmasse. Bad medicine has a nice reliable thermocline, usually right around 30 ft. I did catch the tulibee thing and I belive the numbers game is in the west end. I don't spend enough time going slower over the deep stuff always busting hump to get to the next patch of weeds or gravel bar. you know how it is. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Hey Paul I'm looking for a spot to fish on Big Pine. There is so much structure where do you start? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Fishin' Man