Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

My girlfriend has a cabin on Star Lake, and I'm thinking of making a trip or two up there over the winter for some ice fishing. We did fairly well this year during open water, and got some great panfish in the spring. Just curious if any of you have ever fished it, especially during the winter? Could you possibly steer me in the right direction? Thanks for any help!!! Good Luck,
Rusty

Freckled Lady,

I need the most help with the fishing, but any help with the girlfriend is also appreciated!!! smile.gif

Good Luck,
Rusty

fishermatt

I've been fishing Star for about 15 years, mostly in the winter. The main thing I've learned is that the fish are "here today, gone tomorrow", and that the last 45 minutes of light is the best time to be fishing. Be realy to move around a lot, and if you do well one day, don't expect to catch them in the same spot the next day. I've had some of my finest fishing days on Star, only to go back the next day and not get a fish within 1/4 mile of my previous day's holes.
As for your girlfriend, try JEWELRY!

Fishermatt,

Thanks for the info. Since I've never fished Star in the winter, which area, do you suggest I try first. My girlfriends place is at Ebert's on the north side of the lake. We do fairly well out on the long flats extending out towards the island with the house on it during the open water. I'm wondering if you've had success here during the winter. If you want to email me privately, feel free to do so at HRustang@aol.com. Thanks again.

Good Luck,
Rusty

fishermatt

Those flats would be a decent place to start. Another nice break starts just northwest of the island with the house on it and runs to the southwest towards shore. lots of little turns and a good weedline. you'll catch SOMETHING there, maybe crappie, maybe walleye, maybe bluegills, DEFINITELY some hammer handle northerns!!! It's Star lake!!

Paul Rohweller

Thats good advice! I dont get to spend hardly any time on star lake but it is so typical of the lakes in the area. You better have your butt planted in the right spot for the last hour of the day for the eyes. Same goes for early morning. Spend the day fishing panfish and pike and you might luck into some eyes but the twilight time is the right time!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

How are the ice conditions on Star right now? Any reports will help me. May be coming up after Christmas. Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas!!! Good Luck!!!

Rusty

RUSTY, I'M KNEW ON PUTER.SO BEAR WITH ME OK.I WAS BORN ON THIS LAKE AN HAVE FISHED IT FOR REAL CLOSE TO 50 YRS.I'M AN AVID ICE MAN AN JUST FOUND THIS SITE. I MAY PART WITH SOME INFO.IV'E CAUGHT 10LB+ WALLEYES UP IN WEEDBEDS FISHING FOR BLUEGILLS WITH 4LB TEST ON A STRAIGHT JIGSTICK (NO REEL)WITH A #6 MOON GLITTER AND WAXIES. WHAT A BLAST!!!!

Paul Rohweller

Hi woodrow, welcome to fishingminnesota.com!
We have been around for a few years now and it's only getting better! It has grown into a user and family freindly site thats also alot of fun. Feel free to post questions or answers anytime, if I can help you I will or one of our other regulars might be able to shed some light. By the sounds of it you might have it all figured out? lolol Welcome aboard!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Paul, Thanks for the welcome.I'm new with this rig and would like to know steps to get this site in favorites.Quite a bit of commotion the way i get in here now.Would appreciate any tips.I dont have a manual, i'm shootin from the hip so to speak.Star lake may have the best structure in the state.Also is loaded with feed.Makes it tough going at times.Not uncommon to drill a 100 holes looking for bluegills.More later. Thank you.Woody

minneman

Woodrow, To put this fourm in your favorites, get to the home fourms page and right click on it you then should see in a window, add to favorites, left click that and your in, you may want to rename it, if the name you see is something hard to remember, hope this helps?!

Paul Rohweller

Gotta thank minneman for that one! lolol Paul

Hi guys,
well this year has been pretty hectic, and I have yet to make it to Star on ice. I'm hoping to get up soon. How have the panfish been hitting, what depths?

Woodrow,
Welcome to the site. Last year, which happened to be my first year there, we did very well with the walleye, and panfish. If you would like to swap some info. you can email me at HRustang@aol.com. My g/f's cabin/trailer, is out of Ebert's Resort. Good Luck, hope the fishing's doing good.

Rusty