Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
cdnfisherman

Help me out with Star Lake

cdnfisherman

Hello friends

Will be up to Star Lake for a few days starting Friday. Father in law rented a cabin for a week and invited us up. Looking for some details:
1. anything to look out for on the lake (reefs etc)
2. panfish situation: will the kids be able to catch them off the dock
3. good spots for walleye fishing: how deep of water, etc.
Thanks for the info.

Smitty

We were at Star about this time last year with decent success. As far as danger, none that I found other than if you go into the shallow "arm" on the lake (not the West arm)there is a rock point stretching across a good portion of the entrance (they were marked with buoys). No problems to speak of in the main lake (unless you get really close to the small island, where there are some big rocks)or in the west arm.

Yes, the kids will be able to catch panfish off the dock (mine did it for hours on end) as well as the occasional small northern and lots of perch. There are some very nice bluegill and crapie in Star if you get on them. Just drift 9-14' in weeds and you'll stay busy removing panfish and baiting hooks for as long as you like.

As far as walleye, our best luck was fishing breaklines at about 16-19' close to shallower water & weeds. Shad Raps and crawler harnesses produced about equally for us. We also picked up a pretty good # of Rock Bass in 15-16' near the big island and eye's in that same depth around the small island. Seems that there were only about 4-5 places where the boats congregated, so they should be easy to pick up.

Good luck and have fun.

fish_on_llc

Smitty or Paul,

I am fishing Star this weekend for the first time. The company I work for is having a small ice derby from 8-3 on sat. I have good equipment and usually stay mobile but I am looking for tips on where to go for 'eyes, perch and/or crappies. I see a number of spots on the DNR map that look promising, but who knows?? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

------------------
Good Luck!

Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
fish_on_llc@hotmail.com

Flipnripem

I get to spend some time in the spring on Star. There is an area I would drill some holes looking for some eyes. If you were to look at the map, the north west arm comes into the lake. Follow the break to the south. It is out in the lake mabey a half mile? or so. It drops from 14ft down to around 26ft or so. It is a really long flat and there is a point where it turns. There is an old cabin up on the high bank that I used to mark the area. South of that is a small island with some really nice turns and points on the break lines. Directly between the first spot and the island there is a small hump that tops out at about 10ft. Worth a try. If you do fish I would appreciate some feedback cause I will be up on Feb 14th. thanx Flip

fish_on_llc

Sorry Flip,

We called off the contest because of weather last weekend. Maybe next month. I'll post if I make it.

------------------
Good Luck!

Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
fish_on_llc@hotmail.com

Flipnripem

Hey guy`s, I`ll be up on the 14th anyhow and will bring, at the least, my rod`s, vex, and auger. I can`t be in the lake`s area and not fish. So what`s the bite been like? Down south, way south, the fish are in the slow mode. We just recieved a ton of snow and getting around on the lake`s is really tough right now. Looking forward to coming up and only get sat. and sun. morning to fish. C-ya soon. Flip