• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

For the first time this year, we got a chance to spend 5 days on the lake and do some fishing.

First off, thanks Slick for stopping by for a dockside visit. We'll have to hit the lake next season.

We also had fun getting stuffed at the Arrowhead picnic. We should coordinate for next year's Muskie Expo in Blaine and have an onsite chapter meeting. wink.gif

Lund Explorer, thanks for the door. We looked around the area for you, boated your "payment" around the lake for a few days. I wouldn't open them for a while... I'll get you a new box, maybe sometime here in the cities.

Sunday we hit that spot near 7 Sisters, noticed huge clouds of something on the graph rising fom 20 feet up to 11 feet. Bug hatch? Algae Bloom? Bait fish? I don't know, but we coulnd't catch a fish for nothing.

We did manage to find some really nice walleyes a bit closer to home. The smaller ones were around 14 inches. All caught on spinners and crawlers in 18 feet of water in the soft bottom areas. Orange and copper spinners worked best. Gold worked somewhat, but that one was only 2 feet ling, the others were over 4 feet in length. And I managed to loose my last copper spinner. I resorted to raiding a certain taklebox left unattended for another spinner. wink.gif

I never did get out casting for the big toothy fish this trip. The walleyes kept the Net full. rolleyes.gif

62 degree surface temps, groups of cormorants flying about, ravens and crows flocking, leaves orange/yellow leaves floating on the lake, I think fall is here. shocked.gif

------------------
Big Bay IBOT #130
Net? You don't need a Net, just LIP them!

Well it sounds like the fish were going pretty good. I am just curious as to what depth you caught them in. I will be up over labor day weekend and want to have a ground level to start on. I have also been wondering what is going on with the turnover. Do you guys think it is going to happen soon or has it already or what? Any info would be awesome. Thanks.

I don't think the turn-over has happened yet, but it is getting closer.
The walleyes are going into their fall mode.
I have been getting fish as deep as 57 feet this week. All of them have been stuffed with 2-1/2" to 4" perch or crayfish.
There are also plenty of fish in the shallower depths too.
Lindys or jigs with crawlers or pike suckers are hot.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

It was good to see you too MT.. we'll have to plan something for next season. Or we could do the hard water thing around home, since we live petty close.
I hit the same spot on Sunday morning, saw Cliff with a boatload of clients. Must say I was impressed with how you take care of them, Cliff. I could hear you explaining things, giving them tips, and also shooting the breeze. Looked like other than being chilly, they were enjoying themselves.
I ended up catching 8 fish before the trolling motor battery died ( forgot to recharge overnight...no brains, no headaches, I guess) 4 keeper walleyes,1 dinky walleye, 2 tiny perch, and a northern about 24" or so. Kept 3 for dinner for the parents & grandma, let everything else go.
Caught them all on a copper spinner with 2 red circle hooks, half a crawler. ALL but the northern were caught on the stinger hook. Glad I thought to add one on when I made the spinner saturday evening...
Heading up in a week for what may be my last one on the open water for the year. Hopefully the fish will be in an active mood.

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

Just got back myself and had good fishing despite some less than comfortable weather for us tent campers grin.gif

We were hitting them in 12-18 feet of water with lindy's and crawlers or shiners. Red-orange seemed to be their favoroite color of spinner and float for us. Caught a good number of keeper sized 'eyes, but sent them back for someone else to catch. The big one that got away this year, was definately the biggest yet.

Also caught a good number of smallies out of protected coves. A small orange jointed rap during the day, or plastic crawler rig was the ticket. At dusk on the one calm day we had, a clear torpedo caught a couple nice sized smallies.

Very good trip. After all the dismal talk, I was worried about getting on fish. Turns out we had one of our better trips.

we did real well yesterday in 10-14 feet...real nice fish...but the depth that you find them is all over the map...have to stay east also...got a nice muskie yesteday also...and saw a few more caught...good luck and set the hook!!

------------------
garysguideservice
garytheguide.com
[email protected]
Phone: 218-744-3158

MT. I must have justed missed you. We got up on Friday late afternoon and I was rigged and ready to hit the smallies and walleye. I got out early Saturday morning and the lake was somewhat calm. I targeted docks and rocks with topwater, tube jigs, spinner baits, imitation crayfish, etc. My best succcess that morning came on Senko's. I had always seen them but never tried them. My friend had used them on the Mississippi and had great success so I tried them and glad I did. I got twin 16" right away to kick of the morning. I had no success on the salted tubes or topwaters. I went to my small tube jigs tipped with crawlers and got a few more. Here is the real kicker after all that work for 6 small mouth I tossed a bobber of the dock with my daughter and she caught a 18" pig on a sponge bob kids pole. I continued to toss a bobber with her and got 10-12 smallmouth in about two hours all ranging from 15-18". Later that night I went out for the walleye and had some success. I then came in for the night and tossed a small jig and crawler from the dock and got 6 walleye with the largest being 17", some large rock bass and to my surprise some sunfish. The dock and the shoreline around the cabin produced the remainder of the weekend. On Monday morning I had by boat on the dock and not on a lift. I came down and the the waves were coming over the top and crashing my boat into the dock. It was very intense and it was a real challange to get the boat off the dock and tied off to blow in the wind. The day got better as I took the boat off the water and went to the dock to fight the 20-30 mile gale force winds. I could barely stand on the dock and tossing a jig or bobber with a crawler was challange to say the least. Anyway I got the line in the water and hammered a small mouth, perch, and 4 walleyes in a 20 minute span before heading home.

BIG, we camped at Moccasin Point Campground. We've been camping there for 5 years now and have always had good luck. They've got docks where you can keep your boat, with outlets so you can charge things up. And it's always been very quiet at nights. Especially this year, where there was hardly anyone there besides us and the folks a couple spots away.

There were rumors that it wouldn't be around next year, but apparently that deal fell through, so next year it should still be around.

Mr. Pike1, I was stuck at home this weekend...painting and other projects to finish that I put off far too long. Sounds like you found a great spot! Maybe I'll have to paddle over that way. Big Bay does get angry at times! But on the plus side, the wind and waves stack up baitfish on certain areas, wink.gif along with some nice fish. I still have that last remaining FatRap for you. Remind me next time you head up.

Slick, you ever hit Vermilion for ice fishing?

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 09-07-2004).]

I went for the first time last year, the day before I broke the shoulder. Did pretty good, got 3 through the hole.
I might be interested in going up a few times this year, though. Most definitely want to give it a better try, that's for sure.
We should set something up. Heck, I don't mind driving the Exploder out on the ice and sittin' on a bucket if we need. Maybe hook up with Cliff or Ace and get some quality guide time on the ice. (never done that before...)
MrPike - Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to this weekend, as it'll most likely be my last on the lake til it turns solid. As much as I like the fact that my new job is picking up business, and we're gonna be busy, it sure cuts into time on the water away from home...

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

Slick/MT. I would like to try the ice this year as well. I have not idea where to target and Ace or another guide might be a very good idea.

Slick- The reports I got from other anglers on the lake while I was there was that it was a strong bite for most. Potato and seven sisters seemed to be some of the hot spots. Everyone I talked to using leaches/crawlers on jigs or lindy's. The crawlers seemed to be the live bait of choice on lindys with a gold spinner and float. That is all I can report. Hope your next trip is a success.