• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CRAWDADS

Does anyone happen to know if there is a major hatch of crawdads that takes place on LOW? About when would they become a factor in the food chain? Thanks for any info.<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!

There is indeed a good crawdad hatch on LOTW. If you go out on a dark night with a flashlight you should be able to see them. The places I usually check can number well into the hundreds in a short span of shoreline. I would think they become a factor as soon as they come out of the egg, small perch will start feed on them, then when they get to a size large enough, other preditory fish will take their turns. Good luck!<P>FF <p>[This message has been edited by fishingfrenzy (edited 06-29-2004).]

fishingfrenzy,Appreciate your response very much. Is there a specific time frame when this hatch takes place? Enquiring minds want to know!<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!

Let you in on a little secret..............<P>There is a major crawdad hatch on shallow reefs all through the Big Narrows. They are everywhere. The walleyes feed on them at night in the shallows.<P>Now, guess what..........<BR>The muskies come and feed on the walleyes at night!<P>If you know your way around the lake, have good electronics (especially GPS mapping systems), fish at night for the muskies. You won't regret it.<P>HOWEVER, LET ME MAKE YOU VERY AWARE THAT THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. YOU ARE OUT THERE ALONE AND TRAVELING IS VERY TRICKY. AGAIN, IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE NARROWS AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE HI-TECH GPS MAPPING SYSTEMS WITH LOTW CHIP..........DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!<P>However, you will be surprised at the quality of fish you catch at night. These fish are "trained" or "condititioned" to eat at night. They won't eat during the day............<P>Try it!<P>------------------<BR>Let em go, so they can grow!

Lots of Crayfish in this pond Keith. Cleaned 6 fish last nite I caught off of a mainlake reef and they were full of them.<P>Make great Sturgeon bait too!<P>fiskyknut

Early spring female crawfish burrow after mating and lay 200-400 eggs. The female then coats the eggs so that they stick to her tail. Eggs hatch within 2-3 weeks. The babies are carried for up to 10 days after hatching, this is called the ‘berry’ stage. As they grow into adults they shed their shells often, and can live up to 2 years. <BR> Now, that is a rough average. I have seen females in summer still carrying eggs, but it gives you what most crawdads do in most lakes. Happy craw-fishing!<P>FF

If I'm not mistaken, you can only use them for bait on the lake you caught them on, no transporting. Am I right on this?

Great answers guy's. Really appreciate your response. Now I know everything about crawdad's on LOW! You are wrong, fishbait breath! I know I've just scratched the surface. Is it legal to use live crawdad's for bait?<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!

Crayfish regulations<BR>The transportation of live native and invasive crayfish from one waterbody to another within the ***** is prohibited, except by permit issued by the DNR. Live crayfish or crayfish eggs may not be imported without a permit issued by the DNR. Live crayfish may not be sold for live bait or for use in aquariums. Live crayfish taken from a waterbody can only be used as bait in that same waterbody.<P>This comes strait from the DNR website